The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

It is a fairly bright morning in this part of the world.  It looks like it is going to be warm again, with 31°C forecast.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 8

Good morning one and all

I was sad to hear that John CB’s Sandy is no more.  What more fitting a tribute could there be than Flavio’s?  When I was a teenager we had a sort of rescue dog, a corgi, taken on from my aunt and uncle because their daughters, my cousins, kept smacking him and he reacted accordingly.   He was happy with us but in time his health declined to the point when mercy was required.  On that fateful day he refused to get into the car for the final trip to the vet and I’m not ashamed to say that there were tears all weekend.

I must have been tired after my exertions on Saturday.  After spending Sunday quietly and unproductively, yesterday I went out to post a letter and lay on the bed on return, awakened 90 minutes later by the sound of braying from the House of Commons on the radio.  Earlier my head suddenly felt a whole lot better after a swift e-exchange with my e-friend ending with a J.  How long that will keep the black dog at bay is anyone’s guess but I can dream, can’t I?

Today I have a double load of ironing to do.  Deep joy.

Buying a sphig – hmmm, an idea.  At the moment I do not worry about my blood pressure because if I do it will rise.  Sister Diabetes is the one who worries about it so I am content to use the surgery’s equipment and submit to the surgery’s advice about medication, which I would have to do anyway.

Continuing warm thoughts to Andyram, Debs, Andy P, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Simon, Mal and all others in distress.

Chris

On that fateful day he refused to get into the car for the final trip to the vet and I’m not ashamed to say that there were tears all weekend.

Bore da !

Chris, I have 'been there' also, more times than I care to remember - a sadness slightly tempered by memories of the love, fun and companionship only a pet can bring. 

Best to all

Brian R

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning to most, afternoon to others, evening to others around the world.

Her indoors is off to see the quacks today..twice. hopefully all will be well.

Mugatea has arrived so it is TTFN

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning awl.

Another overcast day here in Surrey.

After another frantic journey home we met up with a few friends in our local Harvey’s pub.

A good chat about various things including the state of the railways around here (one of our friends works on Southern). All whilst my other half had the Fort Worth Tower 55 Junction live webcam running on her iPad, a very busy route that is.

One went to get his hourly bus home but it went past him early as he was heading to the bus stop. He followed us into McDs before heading for a train home.

Our bus was ready to depart when someone was asking the driver for his bag that he left on a bus earlier. It took the driver os,e time to explain that it wasn’t the same bus he had got off over an hour earlier but the bloke still wants his bag. That delayed our bus by ten minutes by the time we decided to get off and walk home. Our food was virtually cold by then.

At least we had a good sleep with a few pints inside us.

T -18 working days left of this carp commuting mess.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a cool and overcast village.   Not a lot of time but today is Rolling Stones day.  9.00am bus to Leeds, train to Manchester, meet a schoolfriend who I haven't see since 1970, pub lunch then off to Old Trafford.   Train back who knows when.     What a fabulous day in prospect.   A good talk and a few goodbyes.   

Regard to all and warm thoughts to all that need them.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Just a quicky.

ChrisF, I strongly recommend buying yourself a sphig if you don't have one at home - they aren't expensive now, and my BP is always high at the surgery, as I am worrying about.... my BP. Which figures.   At home I check regularly and it is 'within normal parameters' most of the time.  Previous GP was a pain in the fundamental about it, which drove me to get one otherwise he would have had me on enough drugs to stock a shop.  As it is the current GP is more (younger!) understanding and realistic, so on lesser meds but control is OK 90% of the time.  Still sky high in the surgery though!  Psychological I think, my father lost his livelihood through high BP, which led to a difficult few years for my family.

Maybe some Valsartan would help Ivan's auto box too?  ;-)

ChrisF

Neil's suggestion is a good one and also the experience of quite a number of us when going to the surgery for the BP check up.  Just make sure it is not 'wrist one' because they are unreliable.  The other aspect is once on just remain calm because any movement during the take changes the BP.

• Like 4

Our GP got us to buy a monitor as well - called White Coat Syndrome, apparently.

ChrisF

Neil's suggestion is a good one and also the experience of quite a number of us when going to the surgery for the BP check up.  Just make sure it is not 'wrist one' because they are unreliable.  The other aspect is once on just remain calm because any movement during the take changes the BP.

Can concur on this. I have a Boots Omron BP monitor which works well. My GP gets me to do two readings, morning and evening, for 7 days, noting the results and averaging it out before a visit to the doc. Noticed that one day when there'd been some family row the bp was considerably higher!

Even though our lovely black cat Molly died a couple of years ago I'm sure I still see her padding about the house sometimes. It's a good feeling to remember her. We scattered her ashes on Arthur's Seat. We'll get a cat or a dog once we've moved/downsized, which depends on when the kids decide to move out.

Bright day here, hope it lasts.

Hope your days are bright, too

Mal

Just a quicky.

ChrisF, I strongly recommend buying yourself a sphig if you don't have one at home - they aren't expensive now, and my BP is always high at the surgery, as I am worrying about.... my BP. Which figures.   At home I check regularly and it is 'within normal parameters' most of the time.  Previous GP was a pain in the fundamental about it, which drove me to get one otherwise he would have had me on enough drugs to stock a shop.  As it is the current GP is more (younger!) understanding and realistic, so on lesser meds but control is OK 90% of the time.  Still sky high in the surgery though!  Psychological I think, my father lost his livelihood through high BP, which led to a difficult few years for my family.

Maybe some Valsartan would help Ivan's auto box too?  ;-)

And I take my BP before my morning caffeine.  Puts about 10 on the reading.  And take 2 or 3 readings - your stress levels may go down.

Bill

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s a little bit duller than of late, but I don’t mind that as today I’m hoping to fill in a dip in the block paving at the front. It’s not a big dip, but it does collect water a bit when it rains and it’s annoying the hell out of me. Hopefully it won’t take long, dinner time maybe.

After loosing our cats ‘Bill and Ted’ a couple of years ago, we still expect them to fly out of the kitchen as soon as it’s opened for the first time and race up the stairs to see who can jump on the bed first.

Back later

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another dull start to the day and there were a few spots of rain earlier. It may brighten up this afternoon.

I didn't make a start on shed clearance yesterday so may try again today. My new racking arrived in Mitcham at 3.10am so I suppose there is a chance that it may come today. We shall see.

Gemma and Joe are visiting after school today as usual so I will probably lose my laptop for them to do homework as the upstairs PC has died. Waiting to hear from Steve when he can visit to either fix or condemn. If the latter I'll probably get another as it is handy when the kids are here. Joe has more exams this week and next,  I think he said that he had a total of 24 papers to sit. Don't think it was that many in my O-Level days.

Now off to do a spider hunt in the car. Little s#d is crafty and is avoiding me.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Alas saying goodbye to the good friends our pets have become is always hard.  When Henry got so poorly that it was no longer fair on him to let him try to keep going we decided the best thing was to see if the vet would come to us instead of having to put Henry through the trauma of being carted off to the surgery.  He probably realised what was going to happen but he had a wander round the garden and a root around under his favourite lavender bush before the deed was done and at least he was at home when he went to sleep. But - having done it several times over the years - it can be difficult enough arranging a secure resting place for a cat so I can imagine it would be difficult to do the same for a dog;  the three we have buried since we moved here are all under stone slabs to stop the foxes getting at them.

And now to the weather - yes we have a little drizzly rain again and some grey skies but the forecast say no precipitation, we'll see. Mrs Stationmaster's cold seems a little better but she has, of course, seemingly passed it on to me so chemical warfare has commenced to hopefully mitigate it effects.

Have a good day one and all.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I wish GDB well on his spider hunt but he should bear in mind that the average car houses dozens of the little blighters. Their favourite place seems to be in the door mirrors, they are in my car. They haven't been a problem recently so my keeping clearing away their webs might have had an effect. I concur with Bill about taking caffine just before your BP it can have a drastic effect on the measurement for an hour or so afterwards. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Phil, door mirrors are one thing and I agree very common but this little so and so is in the rear footwell and is spinning a web from back seats to the front and the flippin' handbrake! I like spiders but a couple of my regular passengers are terrified of them and I really don't want hysterical outbursts in the car when I'm driving.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Be warned - Debs is reading our posts so don't mention ...... I mentioned them once but I think I got away with it.

Dull day today.

Scanning was suspended yesterday, at times it gets a bit too much juggling things (working, loading and swapping negative cassettes, resizing scans so I have a lower res copy for sharing, renumbering, backing up) so I have a day off occasionally. I'll probably resume later.

I now have to decide what to do with my photos - I'm happy to share but it's another job to be done, and our Internet speed is slow meaning it takes time - decisions, decisions.

Regards to all,

• Like 16

.....off to do a spider hunt in the car. Little s#d is crafty and is avoiding me.....

..... the average car houses dozens of the little blighters. Their favourite place seems to be in the door mirrors, they are in my car. They haven't been a problem recently so my keeping clearing away their webs might have had an effect. ...

Phil, door mirrors are one thing and I agree very common but this little so and so is in the rear footwell and is spinning a web from back seats to the front and the flippin' handbrake! I like spiders but a couple of my regular passengers are terrified of them and I really don't want hysterical outbursts in the car when I'm driving.

Meanwhile it cost someone £13 to have a spider removed in Bournemouth....

Edited by Horsetan

Joe has more exams this week and next,  I think he said that he had a total of 24 papers to sit. Don't think it was that many in my O-Level days.

yes Elder Lurker is also sitting 24 exams in total (9 GCSEs). I agree that there were less O level, but I am sure a good proportion of them were 3 hour jobs, whereas the exams Elder Lurker is doing average about 1 hour 30, with the longest being 2 hours 15 (English Lit paper 2, English poetry since 1789 and Jeckyll and Hyde).

I passed my six-month review with flying colours and the advice that I should consider a Team Leader or Trainer position within the next year. We’ll see.

Best wishes to all.

Proof positive that experience with facing the public is valuable to companies 

• Like 2