The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning awl,

Yesterday was spent concreting at Mike's. We got about half way through the job so will continue tomorrow. Until I have to leave for a concert at the RFH. Friday will be spent in a hot bath.

Keep well all.

Bill

• Like 16

....Apparently there's some bike racing, may have a look in at it.  Laxey station yesterday on the Manx Electric was great, trains every 15 minutes plus a shuttle to Douglas so it was like Claphamanx Junction, I would post a photo but......ahem. Saw the oldest and newest power cars - the newest of which (33) is older (1906 IIRC) than several of the steam engines - the MER was an early electric railway, starting in 1893.

One of the people I'm liaising with is based on Fraggle Rock. He used to run a brewery until relatively recently.

• Like 12

Be careful, you may be offered CEO of Southern (whatever Ian L’s service is called today) :O !!!!

On the plus side, you could recruit Stationmaster to rewrite the timetable, and legitimately pay him a fat consultancy fee for the privilege..

Following on from that would come an appearance in the New Year's Honours list for services to mankind

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Yesterday the pollen count here was on the second time around, I was incapacitated, and that was with the anti-histamines.  Tried a different type, a little better this morning but still teetering on the edge of exploding continuously.

Apparently there's some bike racing, may have a look in at it.  Laxey station yesterday on the Manx Electric was great, trains every 15 minutes plus a shuttle to Douglas so it was like Claphamanx Junction, I would post a photo but......ahem. Saw the oldest and newest power cars - the newest of which (33) is older (1906 IIRC) than several of the steam engines - the MER was an early electric railway, starting in 1893.

I used to love the atmosphere at Laxey when the frequent evening service operated in the summer when we were over there on holiday in 1962 - incredibly busy on a nice evening.

PS. The recycling bin was emptied at 16.20.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

My clock is 3 minutes slow.........

attachicon.gifacid_picdump_116.jpg

Best, Pete.

My clock has stopped. Unlike a clock running slow or fast that always shows the incorrect time, mine is right twice each day...…..

Hmmm - do I go golfing this evening, or head off with Junior later to go swimming....

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 15

There are now two of these accordionists (sic) plaguing the streets of Ealing in addition to the "self-employed" agency chuggers. The first one actually isn't bad, and has the benefit of a (loud) backing track. The second one has no ability at all, but has strategically shaved part of his scalp to make it look as though he was the victim of an axe in the head.

EDIT: there is now a third one opposite the office!!!!

post-6879-0-44384100-1528303271_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I had a spam fitter about 20 years ago, that reminded me why I'd didn't like them at school 30 years before that.

On 20th May 2019, the kilogramme will change, it will no longer depend on the example one, held in a secure place in France, but it will be a calculated value, like all the other SI units. If you think I'm going through the maths of that and all the other changes to SI units next year, we heard about in a lecture today, you're wrong...

Did you know the USA is a metric country? On the 20th May 1875, the USA, signed the metric agreements, all their imperial measurements are defined metrically! We the British didn't sign till 1884, even though we were on the original committee and made the representative kilo and metre...

Came home via the big orange shed,

Cockwomble 1, left their loaded trolley 10ft planks across the entrance to the wood yard, same cockwomble, then blocked the way to the tills while he wandered off again.

Cockwomble 2, left trolley across hardware aisle, later spent considerable time being surprised enough to look for credit card only after the items had been checked through the tills.

Cockwomble 3, artic cab In left hand lane, Audi in right hand lane, roundabout becomes clear, Audi cuts immediate left in front of cab but then straight lines the roundabout, cue much horn blaring from cab.

It's a nice sunny evening and after unloading the stuff bought in the orange shed, Ben the Border Collie leapt into the land rover, for the drive back down the garden. He likes sitting bolt upright on the passenger seat watching the world go by...

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Went to attack  some of the shrubbery that has rapidly expaned only to find that the electric chainsaw has given up the ghost. The chain keeps jumping off the drive cog and the adjusting screw is knackered. Now waiting for a pole variety to be delivered so some of the bushes can be reduced to a size more fitting to the small garden they are trying to over run. The hedge trimmer enabled me to fill a large builders supply bag (the 4 handled kind) which has been deposited at the local recycling centre. It looks like several more trips will be required once all the offending greenery is cut back. Now to attack a bottle of "Proper Job" by way of reward!

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Evening

Another sunny day and more withdrawn trains so we caught the Caterham / Tattenham Corner service to Coulsdon Town and bus from there as we dint want to risk being caught up at East Croydon and end up in a pub for the third night in a row. Its longer but at least we get a seat.

A quick drive to the sorting office to collect package from Hattons. Nothing existing as just a 10 pack of Dapol Easi Shunt couplings.

over the hump for the week.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Currently experiencing considerable pain in back, hip, left knee as usual* and bottom of heel (recently diagnosed with plantar fascitisall due to spending all day in the garden. Lawns mowed, edges trimmed, extra large step ladder climbed to lop overgrowing shrub that was encroaching on next door, decking and path jet washed etc etc. I even made a start on shed clearance. New racking turned up late this afternoon so that's tomorrow's job.........

...if I can walk.   :scratchhead:

Doses of pain medication deployed including London Pride, red vino, ibuprofen and tramadol. Yes, it really is that painful.

*Considering the knee is metal and plastic it is quite annoying that I still get pain but it's all in the surrounding area particularly hamstrings.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

Spam fritters...yummy!

Visited the model railway society tonight. Ended up ballasting part of a new o gauge layout we are building.

Tomorrow I will be travelling Northwards up the A1 to watch someone take photographs of a mayout with some of my trains on it.

Have a good night/evening/Morning * bad hope we have positive news on all who ail.

I await news of a formerwork colleague. He has been given 2 years to live but had a major op on Monday. No news on how it went yet so fingers crossed. That big C is a real barsteward.

Baz

* delete as appropriate for your location here on Planet Earth

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Plenty of weeds are now refilling the garden waste bin and the workshop is starting to look a lot clearer too.

Tonight we had Ava, Evie and Max round for tea and they were all in high spirits today, they are going camping with their dad tomorrow for a couple of days and they are very excited. The chicken curry went down very well as did the salted caramel cheesecake. Considering there was only 5 of us for tea, there is just about enough for Friday, when James and Amelia come for tea.

Time for bed now, goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18