The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It’s been a lovely day here in the northwest of England. This morning’s Sainsbury’s Grand Prix went without a hitch, I Genentech managed to get all that was on my shopping list. After I’d put away all the shopping, I made myself a muggertea and started a cheesecake for tomorrow night’s tea. 

After dinner it was decided that we needed to do another Grand Prix, this time at Waitrose, as we were running short of a few items that we can’t get locally. Once home it was time for a mid afternoon muggertea and then finished making the white chocolate and salted caramel cheesecake.

Goodnight all 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I still rue the demise of the EuroCheque - printed cheque book with space to state if you were paying in DM, FFR, etc!

Isn't technology wonderful? The plastic age (eg credit cards) is invented to reduce the reliance on paper (ie cheques)! Now, we seem to be clamping down on plastic!

Where do non users of smart phones go from here? (Now that all of the children are outgrowing themselves)? (Mis-quote from the Alan Parson's Project, or is it just the games people play?! Take it or leave it.)

On the bright side it means you won't get booked paying for stuff here in Australia...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-06/laws-banning-mobile-payments-at-drive-thrus-provokes-motorist/11384228

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 7

Morning All,

It is absolutely chucking it down here this morning!  I walked to the car in a light rain, but between opening the gate and closing it again the rain had turned into a torrential downpour.  I am now drying out - slowly!

Oh well, better get on.  Time for a coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

But what was it's RADAR signature?

Not very much for the lightening, very small frontal area,  well swept back wings,  you only get a get a good reflection from the tail or wings if it pulls up... A bit like an F35 really.. 

At the moorings awl, 

A very good nights sleep Was had... 

It's raining..  Oh no it isn't it's the Window cleaner who arrived at 06:00...

The other club cleaner for the inside arrived just now 06:34.

Yesterday was a day of sunshine and showers ER well down pours,  sitting in an operation dory in the rain is not pleasant even in full oilies. 

The first rescue attempt was for a topper dinghy who sailed into a tree.. Didn't look up as he smiled by the river bank.  I say attempt because he got himself out just as we got to him. 

At lunch time, I'd just delivered a crew across the river to their sailing cruiser, when a 45ft motorboat completely messed up going round the bend at the club,  with no outside assistance or Involvment of sailing craft. 

He got blown onto a club members motorboat (luckily  sea going steel built) , and his bow was threatening some varnished Rebel class keel boats. 

I managed to quickly get a line from. the bow,  and using Max throttle in reverse,  get the bow out pointing into the river.   Mean while a crew member of the errant boat had gone ashore t o fend off..  He got left behind.. So I then went and collected him drove up to the motorboats stern and by pushing it kept the dory steady so he could step aboard. 

The rest of the day was uneventful  except for the rain. Which of course killed the wind leaving the very last boat of the day to motor home. 

This evening was quiz  night which went very well,  there were I think 16 teams,  we came 7th, I suspect the fact the team of 5 I joined consumed 6 bottles of wine over the evening didn't help the score... 

A picture of yesterday's racing... 

IMG_20190806_110653.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all from T*urd towers (Temporary).   He again excelled himself yesterday.   Rachel (Wife) still recovering and spending time in bed.   Come lunchtime, made no attempt to do some lunch for their daughter, expected Beth to do it.   However when Beth and I went out for a walk after tea we very pointedly left all the washing up.   Miracle of miracles ,it had been done on our return.   

I even managed to get into the shed and play with moving objects on parallel pieces if nickel silver. Assisted by an 8 yr old visitor who drove whilst I observed and sorted stock.   We even managed to find a spot where the strips of NS weren't quite parallel.   The P Way team are on standby for when the next possession window comes round.   I suspect that it might be today.

Today it is persisting it down.   I have T*rd duties this morning as he needs to fill his car with petrol and the daughter is going to be taken to a toy store.  I will be his navigator as Beth has declined that role.     Apart from that not a lot is on the agenda so the P Way team may well get to work.

Baz, weren't sound locators dispensed with many years ago and the ROC disbanded.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Very dangerous stuff, petrol. At these sort of temperatures spontaneous combustion isn't out of the question.

Don't tempt me.   I've had to hide the hand axe in case Beth uses it.

Jamie

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

7 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Very dangerous stuff, petrol. At these sort of temperatures spontaneous combustion isn't out of the question.

Swimming pools are very dangerous too, particularly if there is anything electrical in the immediate vicinity.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Not very much for the lightening, very small frontal area,  well swept back wings,  you only get a get a good reflection from the tail or wings if it pulls up... A bit like an F35 really.. 

Not so Q. Like most fighters of that generation the head-on effective echoing area of a Lightning was large because of the big, blunt intake that acted almost like an echo chamber as far as radar was concerned. Certainly to the Phantom or Tornado F3 radars it was pretty much a dog's thingies. I know that they were pulse doppler rather than straight pulse radars but the principle holds and I don't want to go into technical gubbins. Strangely enough for this topic, the F35 is called the Lightning 2.

It's a nice morning here in the land of the tailless cat so once breakfast has been had we're off to ride the rails behind a steam locomotive to Port Erin and points south. The station is only a 3 minute walk from our apartment, which is purely coincidental.....

Have a good day folks.

Dave

• Like 15

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings all from a sunny but cool boring borough. Latte on the patio this morning as the cats enjoyed an aerial display from a flock of Bexley Parakeets. 

Work is work. Nothing ever changes. I've been asked if I'd like to move into a training role. That ain't happening. I was uncharacteristically polite with my response. 

Cheques. How primitive. How last millenium.  Haven't written  or received one in at least 15 years. All my banking is online either through a phone app or website. Our branch closed about 10 years ago. Didn't notice. The replacement branch closed about 5 years ago. New branch is the main one at Bank. Haven't visited any of them.

Many banks and building societies are waking up to 2 factor authentication. Something now common in remote working and VPN connections to cloud based corporate services. This is going to make it more difficult for thieves and hackers, but a pain for the luddites that don't have gizmos. All of our bills are paperless. If a company requires a cheque we will simply go elsewhere.

Many of the taprooms and street food vendors we frequent are now cashless. I don't think I've used a cashpoint in the last 4 months. Even my cards are being used less and less as my phone and digital wallet take over. Far safer really. If someone nicks my wallet, cash is gone forever. Cards can be used for small transactions until I can cancel them, but I get that back eventually. My phone gets stolen, the thief has 10 attempts out of 1,000,000 combinations to unlock without my fingerprint before it gets wiped. I can also track and wipe the phone remotely. For those that insist on using cash or cheques only, things are going to get more difficult in the coming years. 

Time to rescue the recycling bins. Enjoy the day. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

So far in the last 15 minutes we’ve had sunshine, rain and now back to some more sunshine. The early wake up call of the recycling lorries started just after 7:00 when the first one arrived, the second (last) one has just been so both bins are now back in their usual places. Due to the uncertain weather more work will be carried out in the cellar. As I don’t fancy working with power tools in the rain, which is predicted. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Since a Windows 10 update a few days ago a thing called Narrator has appeared on my lap-top. There seems to be no way of turning the bl@@dy thing off. I have silenced it by turning the volume to zero but it pops up every time I switch my lap-top on. Now I've got that off my chest the weather here is quite pleasant if a bit muggy. The planned event for Sunday looks OK weather-wise, the worst is predicted for Saturday.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Since a Windows 10 update a few days ago a thing called Narrator has appeared on my lap-top. There seems to be no way of turning the bl@@dy thing off. I have silenced it by turning the volume to zero but it pops up every time I switch my lap-top on. Now I've got that off my chest the weather here is quite pleasant if a bit muggy. The planned event for Sunday looks OK weather-wise, the worst is predicted for Saturday.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028598/windows-10-start-or-stop-narrator

Third option is probably easiest. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Well I did get to cut the lawn and part of the jungle yesterday, we picked some low hanging fruit off the apple tree so apple pie is not a distant possibility and I continued to run down the water level in the water butts.  And remarkably all of this obviously suited the weather god because contrary to his observers' seaweed indications and 'forecasts' it absolutely tipped down yesterday evening, twice.  Even Mrs Stationmaster passed beneficial comment on my perspicacity in mowing the lawn in such a timely manner.

Alas my belt buckle disintegrated yesterday afternoon (no, not due to overload - simple metal fatigue).  While it is rebuildable alas the engineering skills and equipment needed are beyond both my pay grade and level of equipment so it's time for a new belt.  The frustrating thing is that with a bit of metalwork it could be replaced using a couple of newly made components but alas I lack both the necessary material and workshop facilities so I'm on to another belt.  Now this other belt has been in stock for some time but on previous trials it has - how shall I put this delicately - lacked sufficient length to go round that part of my anatomy which is normally called the waist.  It now fits and can be done up to notch 2 with ease and might even make notch 3.  However my concern now is being able to maintain the sort of girth around which it will fit so buying a slightly longer one might be a sensible, albeit cowardly, option.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

Years ago before self service pumps were in use a friend instead of the French for “fill it up please” asked for bread. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

Had a great day yesterday down in Sussex, Arundel was packed with camera snappers, the whole day was a success I got home just after day break .

Today I'm waiting for one of the daughters to turn up for a meeting Slapped #rse arrived too early IT went after pissing me off  the nasty #ow.

Tomorrow I will be off to the other side of town for some fun but later all the cupboards and display cabinets will be removed from the walls 

of the man cave.

Better get on have a good one :superman: Ivor Largen :biggrin_mini2:

• Friendly/supportive 11