The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

After that, any weight loss suffered during the mighty erection, will be reimbursed by a selection of chilled beers, ciders and wine plus the obligatory chocolate biscuits and ice creams..

I thought that that was called Brewers droop.

Jamie

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Thanks to Tony I have got rid of the irritating Windows narrator. As I was doing so I noticed that Microsoft were adding another language, Braille! What use is that on a computer screen?

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Thanks to Tony I have got rid of the irritating Windows narrator. As I was doing so I noticed that Microsoft were adding another language, Braille! What use is that on a computer screen?

I don’t know what they are doing but it could be for doing on screen design for Braille output devices like Braille printers. Even back when I was teaching there were many devices to help people with even minimal vision to read. One of our students had to read exam papers one letter at a time on a big screen. 

Tony

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

<Rant>

Excellent "exchange" as a result of simply wanting to pick up a prescription renewal that was requested 5 days ago;

Pharmacy: "Hmm, the prescription appears to have been cancelled. You'll have to contact the provider to get it reinstated before we can fill it"

Me: " No reason given? It's for a rescue inhaler I've been carrying for 20 years!"

Pharmacy" "No, sorry"

Doctors office - after a LONG hold on the stupid phone system;

Me: "Calling to find out why my prescription has been cancelled"

Doctors office: "It hasn't"

Me: "Pharmacy says it has"

Them: "Well it hasn't" (nothing more sensible/informative/helpful offered)

Me: "Can you send them a renewal then so I can get it"

Them: " You have to call the pharmacy and have them re-request it"

Me: "They think it's cancelled - why don't YOU call/fax/whatever them and approve it. Seems idiotic for ME to be going back and forth with the two of you"

Them: " It's not normally done that way - it takes up to 72 hours to process a prescription request"

Proceeds to explain I should make renewal requests long before I need to product...

Me: "But I already REQUESTED it 5 days ago EXACTLY so I got the bloody thing it time!"

Me: <unable to repeat here the stream of explaining why the health care system sucks the life-blood AND money out of people due to this sort of stupidity>

Me: "So in case I need it, and kick off instead because of bureaucracy and an inability for the medical machine to actually HELP someone, who's name do I give to my next of kin to sue you?"

Them: (In an annoyed tone) "I'll see what we can do..."

Two hours later, pharmacy text me "you prescription is ready"

I SWEAR people die in the US because the health care industry has managed to make an entire industry out of simplicity!

<end rant>

Carry on.

And these are the people who want to take over our NHS.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Two hours later, pharmacy text me "you prescription is ready"

I SWEAR people die in the US because the health care industry has managed to make an entire industry out of simplicity!

Recently one of Aditi’s medications became unavailable. I was supposed to be collecting it. The pharmacy said contact the doctor. So I rang the surgery and asked what the procedure was. They said the pharmacy should have contacted them. I said the pharmacy had seemed a bit disorganised. She put me on hold, rang another pharmacy who confirmed and said our GP would prescribe an alternative and we could collect the new prescription that afternoon. We changed our default pharmacy too. Being geeky I like that the new one has a robot dispenser. Aditi’s brother is a GP and has an on-site pharmacy. He said at night their robot rearranges the medication stock. 

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The first being the P-38 Lockheed Lightning ( Der Gabelschwanz-Teufel) and not the EE Lightning

Ahh but..the twin fan, twin tail pursuit never flew in RAF colours. 

The English Electric Lightning  was used by the RAF, as is the F34 (or JSF to some) Lighning 2 is the RAF designated name. And the reason for more noise.....wheels down 8n VTOL mode...it was back overnight and today...al one of it!

Been a tad sunny today..guess who forgot his sun tan lotion application this morning?

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I noticed that Microsoft were adding another language, Braille! What use is that on a computer screen?

Depends on how you're feeling I suppose....

A lovely day here on Fraggle Rock; sunshine, light winds, almost eight eighths blue all day. Went to Port Erin on the train pulled by a Dubs built 0-6-0 ex- Manx Northern Railway in absolutely beautiful condition and still with original fittings such as Roscoe lubricators. We then got the bus to Calf of Man and had kippers for lunch whilst looking at the view before returning via the same route and motive power. Currently having  rest with a glass of nicely chilled Chardonnay whilst SWMBO carries out an eyelid inspection prior to deciding where to eat tonight.

A hard life but someone has to do it.....

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
The iPad chose to post it before I'd finished
  • Like 15
  • Funny 4

40 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Being geeky I like that the new one has a robot dispenser. Aditi’s brother is a GP and has an on-site pharmacy. He said at night their robot rearranges the medication stock. 

Tony

Sounds like my kind of pharmacy if they dispense robots!!

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

A lovely day here on Fraggle Rock; sunshine, light winds, almost eight eighths blue all day. 

Gosh, it’s a long, long while since octas got a mention in ERs.

It used to be one of those running jokes/topics.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

And these are the people who want to take over our NHS.

Indeed - under NO circumstances would you have improved service, in spite of any shortcomings you see/perceive with the NHS.

Do ANYTHING it takes to avoid the US model of health care neglect!!:triniti::butcher::rtfm: Especially if it's administered by the same clowns that rob us here!

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Ian A, perhaps you should move to France.   Rachel our house guest is not feeling well and this morning there was a possibility it might be shingles.   I made a phone call to the Dr's at 09.00. Got an appointment for 14.00.  Beth took her, she was seen, it was diagnosed as some nasty insect bites.   Prescription given and collected.  Total cost 42 Euros for appointment and 4 items.   1 very happy customer.

Jamie

• Like 17

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

... perhaps you should move to France

A former colleague of mine is Provençal and grew up in Aix. Actually he was born in Algeria (during it's last days as a Department) and liked to joke that now living in the US he was an African-American. (One of his many endearingly irritating jokes.)

He often extolled the virtues of French health care system versus the US. As a young man, fresh off the boat with no US health insurance, he urgently needed the services of a hospital to treat acute appendicitis. The available hospital was one in Palm Springs that usually reserved treatment for the rich and famous. Apparently the bill was astronomical.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Baz, at least one did as AE979 on trial at Boscombe Down, IIRC in 1940, and there were possibly two others also trialled but it was before the turbochargers were fitted and the RAF rejected them. I believe that they were part of an order originally made by the French Air Force that would have seen about 250 of them in RAF service. There was also supposedly a 'droop snoot' variant tried out by Bomber Command at Coningsby in 1944 for master bombing duties and flown by, among others, Guy Gibson but I don't recall any more details, although I seem to recall that for some reason it was painted PR blue.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

49 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Baz

9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Baz, at least one did as AE979 on trial at Boscombe Down, IIRC in 1940, and there were possibly two others also trialled but it was before the turbochargers were fitted and the RAF rejected them. I believe that they were part of an order originally made by the French Air Force that would have seen about 250 of them in RAF service. There was also supposedly a 'droop snoot' variant tried out by Bomber Command at Coningsby in 1944 for master bombing duties and flown by, among others, Guy Gibson but I don't recall any more details, although I seem to recall that for some reason it was painted PR blue.

Dave

Like Dave, I seemed to remember reading about some being used by the RAF. I went looking and found this:

http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?299

As Dave says, part of an order, originally by the French, taken over (then cancelled) by the RAF. Interestingly, the name 'Lightning' appears to have first been given by the British to their order of aircraft. 

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sheds are not complete until a fridge/freezer and a comfy chair have been installed therein. 

After that, any weight loss suffered during the mighty erection, will be reimbursed by a selection of chilled beers, ciders and wine plus the obligatory chocolate biscuits and ice creams.

Apart from the occasional jaunt to take care of any lavatorial requirements, you can stay out of everyone's way for most of the day.

Fridge and comfy chair are in the shed but the bar is still in the living room. That will change but other tasks to complete first.

The chair is way too comfy as I can easily fall asleep with TV on rather than get on fitting out the shed or modelling. Today I ate a whole pack of Twizzlers purchased from Target in downtown Portland on our recent USA trip. Now out of Twizzlers:angry:.

I did make a start on the outside workbench that is making use of an old granite worktop left at Mums bungalow. However the rain soon put paid to that. Eventually there will be a canopy over this workbench and canopy but I do need to do the fascia and guttering first.

Nameplates fitted to 34070 'Manston' and chassis weathered tonight.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 19