The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Model railway club meeting tonight with news of yet a third exhibition being cancelled this year. The biggest surprise was that its the Southend show in November due too 'unforeseen circumstances'. The other two shows cancelled are the Southwold show that would have been this last weekend and the Romford MRC show in September, both due to an ageing membership. Tea to be made so its be back later.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Rounded off an excellent day with an unapologetic display of decadence and dined on lobster Thermidor washed down with a very toothsome local sparkling wine. Well, it is only two days from our golden job so we felt we ought to practice for Friday. Tomorrow is forecast to be fine and sunny too so we'll probably go over to Peel on the bus and take things from there.

Night night everyone.

Dave

• Like 19

22 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

On the bright side it means you won't get booked paying for stuff here in Australia...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-06/laws-banning-mobile-payments-at-drive-thrus-provokes-motorist/11384228

Where do non users of smart phones go from here? (Now that all of the children are outgrowing themselves)? (Mis-quote from the Alan Parson's Project, or is it just the games people play?! Take it or leave it.)

I am probably one of the last holdouts for smartphones as I always consoled myself, "Why do I need one, the flip phone works fine"!  Until today when I tried to reset my PW with the server:ireful:.  I gave up and ordered an Apple iPhone which is on its way thanks to an overabundance of unused air miles!   Now my wife will want one:dontknow:, bless her!

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

4 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Well, all good things must come to an end...

Except it hasn't...

5th winner was another £3.00 for correctly lucky-dipping the Thunderball.

Are you, per chance, a steward in a bar?

• Funny 18

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

HUMP day already.

Been busy with work and also helping the Mrs get to some appointments, also some family meetings to help handle the current anxiety.

Seems to be improving some, slow but gradual, and taking it slowly for now, though she has gone off for a power walk at present, something she enjoys.

<Rant>

Excellent "exchange" as a result of simply wanting to pick up a prescription renewal that was requested 5 days ago;

Pharmacy: "Hmm, the prescription appears to have been cancelled. You'll have to contact the provider to get it reinstated before we can fill it"

Me: " No reason given? It's for a rescue inhaler I've been carrying for 20 years!"

Pharmacy" "No, sorry"

Doctors office - after a LONG hold on the stupid phone system;

Me: "Calling to find out why my prescription has been cancelled"

Doctors office: "It hasn't"

Me: "Pharmacy says it has"

Them: "Well it hasn't" (nothing more sensible/informative/helpful offered)

Me: "Can you send them a renewal then so I can get it"

Them: " You have to call the pharmacy and have them re-request it"

Me: "They think it's cancelled - why don't YOU call/fax/whatever them and approve it. Seems idiotic for ME to be going back and forth with the two of you"

Them: " It's not normally done that way - it takes up to 72 hours to process a prescription request"

Proceeds to explain I should make renewal requests long before I need to product...

Me: "But I already REQUESTED it 5 days ago EXACTLY so I got the bloody thing it time!"

Me: <unable to repeat here the stream of explaining why the health care system sucks the life-blood AND money out of people due to this sort of stupidity>

Me: "So in case I need it, and kick off instead because of bureaucracy and an inability for the medical machine to actually HELP someone, who's name do I give to my next of kin to sue you?"

Them: (In an annoyed tone) "I'll see what we can do..."

Two hours later, pharmacy text me "you prescription is ready"

I SWEAR people die in the US because the health care industry has managed to make an entire industry out of simplicity!

<end rant>

20 and sunny first thing, 28 the expected high with some possible thunderstorms later.

Carry on.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <Rant>

Excellent "exchange" as a result of simply wanting to pick up a prescription renewal that was requested 5 days ago;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. ETC>

OOH, I agree,  OTOH, my wife and I have had superb and prompt medical attention here in the US.  It was a long time ago that we visited doctors  surgeries in the UK but as I recall they were not the models of efficiency, usually with a bossy nurse!   Since then I hear from relatives about delays with A & E, long waits to actually see a doctor and most choosing to go private.  While this may not reflect the situation as a whole, with the amount of money that is poured into the NHS, it should be a lot better.

Brian.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

One of my nearby BAE sites has two gate guardians. I know which one stirs more emotion every time I drive past.

The site was originally opened by English Electric in 1939

Pic from flickr

That brings back memories, firstly of driving past those sites in the 60's with my parents and secondly of a tour of Coltishall in the 60's when the 2 seat Lightnings were there as part of a training/conversion unit. Watching them go into a vertical climb straight after take off with a roar that I can almost still hear now, was an experience.  I seem to remember a mutual friend of Dave and I, namely Supersonic, talking about it being the only plane that could a) supercruise and b) intercept Concorde when she was at cruising speed.   He actually did that once but nearly ran out of fuel.

Jamie

• Like 16

Morning All,

It's a somewhat damp morning in this part of the world.  There must have been some rain overnight, but I can't say I heard it.  It isn't actually raining, but quote overcast.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Model railway club meeting tonight with news of yet a third exhibition being cancelled this year. The biggest surprise was that its the Southend show in November due too 'unforeseen circumstances'. The other two shows cancelled are the Southwold show that would have been this last weekend and the Romford MRC show in September, both due to an ageing membership. Tea to be made so its be back later.

Just seen your post. What a shame those show's have been cancelled, I always look forward to Romford and Southend :( Just looked on the website and couldn't see any news, is it the Shoeburyness show?

Steve.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

At the moorings Awl, 

A good nights three piece sleep. 

Just a few extra words, 

I've been watching a couple of Marsh harriers up where I direct the floating traffic,  alternately the male and female. 

I opened a box in Saudi to get a piece of equipment out of it..  And found additionally ...

A salmsbury pass... 

Yesterday a enterprise dinghy decided the tack in front of yeoman keelboats boat which had nowhere else to go... 200lbs of  enterprise verses 3/4 ton of yeoman...  The enterprise will not be taking any further part this week.. 

Today is the big day,  the original horning regatta aniversary, many more boats will appear from other clubs

Talking of anniversaries, its the 125th year of the NORFOLK and Suffolk boating association,  they are holding a big Doo at Coldham hall club on the 8th Sept..  Sadly  I won't make it.. 

• Like 17

1 minute ago, TheQ said:

At the moorings Awl, 

A good nights three piece sleep. 

Just a few extra words, 

I've been watching a couple of Marsh harriers up where I direct the floating traffic,  alternately the male and female. 

I opened a box in Saudi to get a piece of equipment out of it..  And found additionally ...

A salmsbury pass... 

Yesterday a enterprise dinghy decided the tack in front of yeoman keelboats boat which had nowhere else to go... 200lbs of  enterprise verses 3/4 ton of yeoman...  The enterprise will not be taking any further part this week.. 

Today is the big day,  the original horning regatta aniversary, many more boats will appear from other clubs

Talking of anniversaries, its the 125th year of the NORFOLK and Suffolk boating association,  they are holding a big Doo at Coldham hall club on the 8th Sept..  Sadly  I won't make it.. 

I bet it's gorgeous there, sounds like it. I'm going to Wroxham in a couple of weeks and cant wait to walk along the river in the morning. Hope the Regatta's going well.

Steve.

• Like 15

Thanks for that :) looks fantastic.  I'll keep that picture in my mind when I'm sitting in traffic in a moment.  Hope you're not affected too much by the storm, enjoy your day.

Steve.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a bit of a dull start here in the northwest of England. Breakfast has been consumed and Sheila is getting ready for her Zumba class. As the Trafford Centre doesn’t open until 10:00, once Sheila’s gone I’ll potter about for 45 minutes or so until it’s time to leave, I definitely won’t be there very long as it will soon fill up with kids etc with it being holiday time. I honestly don’t know what is so attractive about the place, if I didn’t need to go, I wouldn’t both with it myself. Once I’m home and the shopping has been put away, I’ll get changed and the head back to the cellar and have a play with my toy. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

No sign of the storm yet in the south west, though others are further south and west of me.

Much gnashing of teeth from local traders with Boardmasters being cancelled, luckily we very rarely have a need to visit Newquay, so it's of little personal concern.

Overcast, but with the potential to be clear-skied later.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3