The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.  Shopping expedition successfully though the gilet I bought was not the one I eyed up on the internet. This one has three inside pockets instead of one but cost £20 more. It also has more pockets outside, ten in all, I might find it difficult to find enough stuff to fill them.

3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Post came

Sandy's got a tax rebate.

On her birthday

This often happens when a taxpayer dies. You are given a tax code for the entire tax year (April-March). The tax code indicates how mutch you can earn in that particular tax year and is usually divided up into 12 or 52 slices according to whether you are monthly or weekly paid. So as in Sandy's case and in the case of my dad who also died in the middle of the tax year income ceases upon death and the tax office make the neccessary adjustments once they are notified of the death. 

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

I had a gilet when I worked heavy duty job that was 10 years ago it's still going strong if a bit tight the new one good quality from Millets cost a bomb 

but it does the job and keeps you warm it waterproof as well worth spending a bit more in the long run.

BTW Phil your mate Reg across the road has outdone everyone with the Xmas light it must be the worst display I ever seen.

Night All  W.W. Winkie

• Like 17

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Statins - a friend had them after a 'cardiac event' - he was lucky to live - and they did something to his leg muscles, and as a result is now partially disabled.  I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - there are alternatives in most cases, there was for him too.  He is very bitter about the event.

I'm now wondering if my thigh muscle complete giving out is down to this?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s trip to the Trafford Centre wasn’t as bad as I’d expected it to be, mind you, I was only there about 45 minutes! I set off from home at about 9:55 and was back home by just after 11:15 and that included the visit to the butchers which was quite busy. 

The afternoon was spent reading until it was time to time to start making tea as we had James and Amelia coming round. After tea, Christmas gifts were exchanged and then the rest of the evening was spent chatting. They left just before 8 and we then had a quick tidy up before opening a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and settling down to watch some recovered TV. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Medical question now: My doctor(s) have been banging on about putting me on statins and I have been resisting because I've heard of bad reactions amongst two or three friends. Just wondered if any of you have been/ are on them and what problems you've had. (particularly if they've increased blood glucose levels 'cos I definitely don't need that being a bit too near Type 2 Diabetes anyway)

I've got Type 1 (since age 35), and when I was 50 my consultant suggested I ought to be on them because of my age. I've had mobility issues since 1999 (spinal cord injury), but just about manage to walk with sticks. Spoke to my GP, she wasn't sure and warned me of possible symptoms, said to cut down if problems.

Well, I had two problems - briefly, unstable legs when reaching into a frozen food thingy in the supermarket, which was frightening, but more seriously very interrupted sleep. Tried, I think, a couple of variations - would rather die than take statins again. And my sleep has never really recovered.

For many people I'm sure statins can be useful. But for some of us they are bad news.

ĸen

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

10 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Andy ID, Losartan isn't a statin, it's an angiotensin antagonist.  Used to be on that for BP, but a small dose of bisoprolol has proved more effective for me.

Quite right Neil. I was confusing my BP with my cholesterol!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,  Inner Temple Hare, 

A, better nights sleep,  slow to get off to sleep,  but then solid for three pieces. 

Yesterday's sewing managed to complete 1/2 of the leach ( trailing edge)  of the sail, the other 1/2 needs to be done before the reinforcement for the cringle.

Some tidying  up of the living room is required,  before heading out to the boat. Some grinding work will be carried out,  part of yesterday's reason for not working on the boat was being unable to find the new goggles,  eventually found hidden in the car.  Today's grinding includes fibreglass,  I'm not doing that without full protection. 

But first

Breakfast. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Missed yesterday as I had to go into town to visit the Drs, as I had a physio appointment right in the middle of the day - my hip has started to play up, which is apparently not too unusual a few years after major hip surgery - and the end result is that I need to attend a physio clinic at the hospital, dates TBA.

Also had a battle with Barclays IT, where their machine and till were both unable to give me an updated statement due to "upgrades" taking place over Christmas, which were not completed - these may be local, as our branch had to be closed for about three weeks after the robbery, as the miscreants daaged a lot of the cables within the branch.  30747 also completed next years Christmas shopping,and will be wrapping it tomorrow.

We are off to Kendal, as there is one more sale to attend.

Generic greetings are all I have timw to offer.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still darkish but dry here and a cloudy day with the chance of some drizzle is on offer.

One bin lorry has appeared so far  (out of 3) which is not bad as our normal collection is Thursdays.

A very "damp" night enjoyed with our friends from next door visiting. I opened one of my Christmas presents, a single malt called Yardhead by Crabbies.  I thought that they only made gin, ginger wine and ginger beer. It was very enjoyable  (I'm not a whisky expert by any stretch of the imagination but I know what I like)) Russ liked it as well and as I'm going to Sainsbury's this morning will be buying another bottle for myself and he's asked me to get him one too!

Not much else planned except rugby watching, one match recorded last night, I think two are on today and one tomorrow. That should keep me out of harm's way.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Having a mutt is a recipe for broken sleep, as The Q will no doubt attest. Four interruptions to slumbers mean my manner may be less than its normal dignified and calm persona. Obviously he is a pup and in a new environment but I hope he accepts that before next Sunday!

I’m yet to be made aware of Daily Orders so can only speculate that things will need to be done and places will need to be visited but allowances will need to be made for the mutt. We have sufficient food etc in hand, some of which may need to be “used creatively” if it is not going to waste.

Ramapril, atorvastatin and bisoprolol furmarate caused my leg cramps to increase. I now take the first two and suffer less. Perhaps one should look at this in the context of survival? Were it not for the pills I have been prescribed and taken since 2010, would I be here now?

And on that cheery note, may I sign off and refer you to the last two lines of Baz’s last submission.

• Like 14
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

Our next door neighbours (the other side ) yesterday apologised for the noise their little grandson was making with his new drum kit. Strange thing is we didn't hear a thing. Let's hope it stays that way.

As I say frequently to SWMBO:

Pardon, what?

• Funny 16

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Mooring Awl,  Inner Temple Hare, 

Some grinding work will be carried out,  part of yesterday's reason for not working on the boat was being unable to find the new goggles,  eventually found hidden in the car.  Today's grinding includes fibreglass,  I'm not doing that without full protection. 

But first

Breakfast. 

Can I raise an 'elf and safety issue here, grinding wheels are specific in their intended uses, grinding the wrong stuff can delaminate the wheel causing it to explode, not a pretty sight. When working at the Japanese car factory I saw a couple of incidents where wood and plastics caused both pedestal and hand angle grinder wheels to go pop, both ended with the user needing medical attention and in one case a change of underwear.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

I looked out to see all the wheelie bin out I had to get up and put mine out sh!t, damn and blast.:ireful:

Today I've planned packing, packing and packing as well as some more packing it's the wrapping up of all the glasses 

that's p!ssing me off, slapped #rse has assumed what she don't want I will have I've filled up one of her display cases of stuff 

she has dumped on me.

Later I will try and catch up with the BRM mags there's 2 unread better read them soon I might lose the internet for a while

when moving even thou I've BT coming the day I do move. 

Blondie was texting again last night she seems keen and she was checking my profile out on the dating forum at 3:30 am today.:wub:

Must get on enjoy your day :superman: Kerry Packer. :biggrin_mini2:

Avid viewing for dog lovers 

https://imgur.com/gallery/nrlIog9

Edited by 81C
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Interesting you get cramps with Bisoprolol, KZ - something that has started happening to me, in one foot (not the bad one), sometimes at the most inappropriate moments.  As I also changed to another drug (Candesartan) at around the same time I need to isolate which one is causing it.  

• Friendly/supportive 14