The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Can I raise an 'elf and safety issue here, grinding wheels are specific in their intended uses, grinding the wrong stuff can delaminate the wheel causing it to explode, not a pretty sight. When working at the Japanese car factory I saw a couple of incidents where wood and plastics caused both pedestal and hand angle grinder wheels to go pop, both ended with the user needing medical attention and in one case a change of underwear.

Needless to say, I have a range of grinding wheels,  flap wheels,  cutting disks and living in a boat building area the correct type are easily available.  The speed will be set in accordance to that written on the disk.  In this case it's actually not a grinding disk,  but a flapwheel,  as I'm horizontally smoothing off the inside of a fibreglass reinforced section of hull, prior to painting. 

Also,  it's overalls,  respirator, goggles,  leather gloves and a hat..  Operations continue  in 15 minutes after this tea break. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it isn’t raining and the skies, although aren’t blue, they aren’t grey either. There’s not a lot planned for the day as we have Mike and Sarah popping round for tea. They’ll get here mid afternoon so there doesn’t seem much point in starting any big jobs yet, as I’m still tending to Sheila’s eye, but there are only a few more days (Jan 2) until it comes to an end. So a day spent surfing the “net” might be the order of the day and perhaps a few more kits will be ordered from MERG. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bin day today, and the bin wagons dawn chorus started before dawn and all the bin bags had gone over an hour ago. When I looked out early this morning about six there was a bit of fog but it has now gone. Yesterday when I went for my new gilet I was accompanied by my friend with his young son and his brother. I picked them up at Pitsea Tess Coes and went to Rayleigh via the A127. As it turned out the A127 was closed from the Wickford turn-off to the A130 where we joined it, so an easy run down to Rayleigh Weir. The youngster was intending to spend his Christmas money in Smythes but he managed to leave it at home. Tea to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Well done Baz. Some of these Chinese dynasties can be dodgy.

Dave

Yes, they can be fiendishly clever!

Hope the cough gets better soon Rick.

Off to sort some items which run on rails out.

Baz

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Drowning under the onslaught of the grandchildren.

Yet when I count, there are only two of the pesky things.

Each of them are Hell on two legs.

A fighting withdrawal is planned but the long single leg across the drive to Muddy Hollow (Forward) is going to be tough.

Close Air Support would be handy, but due to defence cuts, Biggles doesn't work weekends or after 1230 on a Friday.

My two terrors are still here...……………………………………..

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Drowning under the onslaught of the grandchildren.

Yet when I count, there are only two of the pesky things.

Each of them are Hell on two legs.

A fighting withdrawal is planned but the long single leg across the drive to Muddy Hollow (Forward) is going to be tough.

Close Air Support would be handy, but due to defence cuts, Biggles doesn't work weekends or after 1230 on a Friday.

Sympathies with you HH, we have the hell on four legs in the form of a mad mutt.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

After Evening awl, 

The entire  day was full grey low cloud cover,  and by the end of working on the boat I was  only slightly lighter grey,  covered in dust.  The toolbox was still not dry so was taken into the house to find some heat before dust creation. 

After turning into something less looking like a ghost,  we took Ben to the Beach, about 20 people and a dozen dogs down there.  But by the time we were coming back the beach was empty,  as sunset, should it have been visible , approached. 

Some sowing has since been done,  in preparation for the corner reinforcement. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. An explanation for the closure of the A127 yesterday. The body of a man had been found at the roadside and he had been there for two days having been struck by a car in the early hours of Christmas day. The driver of a Range Rover has been arrested for causing death by dangerous driving and other motoring offences. Thoughts are with the friends and family of the deceased. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

I still feel like Shite since last week but keep pushing to get on with it 6 boxes of kitchen stuff packed 3 were of tinned food at leas I have managed to get moving today.

Same again tomorrow no doubt still no sign of the slapped #rse which is a god send and blondie has kept up the chatting today.

All quiet from Sutt Towers her Bossness must have tied him in the chair to stop the self inflicting of wounds to himself. 

I'm going to watch telly till I drop maybe a bit of supper too I've had no dinner and no hunger pangs all day. 

Chou

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Greetings all. My lot have been and gone praising Mrs Lurker’s cooking to the skies. She is less pleased that my old man suggested all meeting for their January birthdays; almost as uninterested is my niece, now 12, for whom relations are now full! She has a sharp tongue and is allowed to get away with more than either Lurker boy!

I enjoyed reading John’s comments about wassailing; I always think of a song we sang at school on time & tune; it went something like “wassail wassail all over the town our bread it is white our ale it is brown”. I can’t imagine 9 year olds learning the likes of that at school these days.

i hope that those who are suffering recover soon and that all enjoy as they can this season 

• Like 17