The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The lack of testing doesn’t help things either. One of the reasons that Germany has a low mortality rate for the disease (above and beyond their excellent medical system) is their mass testing programme. Of course you are going to have a high mortality rate if you only test people who are ill enough to present for treatment. Which is what makes me conclude that the top people at PHE in their decision not to allow for other labs and methodologies to test for the virus were - at the very least - unwise.

iD

I watched the interview with Linda Lusardi (she's LOVELY) yesterday on the 'net - both she and her husband have had the Big V; Linda had it very badly, requiring ITU (not sure about her husband - though he required hospitalisation also).

It seems Linda was very ill on admission, yet still produced a negative test result - a second test the following day was positive.

My next-door-neighbour is NHS, and has friends working at the North Middlesex Hospital; it seems that they have all but stopped testing there as the test just cannot be relied upon.  As they say, the only thing worse than no test is an unreliable test.

The best indicator is to go by symptoms IMHO.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

13 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

yesterday on our weekly walk we took a different route back. Some one has an armoured vehicle on their drive. I was tempted to take a photo on my phone but mindful that any photos posted on the forum will invoke someone not being happy that we should only be out for exercise, not stopping for even a quick photo - what a situation that we are now effectively a police state in these times.

There are a couple of armoured vehicles in a lockup about 200 yards from work.

View from Google streetmap in 2009 - they are still there!  (Much higher view than my car)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.0659249,-2.280971,3a,75y,326.39h,78.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s012dzu5B6O58EhgRS7d-VA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Yes a Jag engine. A one time boss was working on the automotive side of the design. Guess what one of his cars was? Well knock me down with a feather! An E Type!

At 4 Tons it was very light, very quick (over a 100kph) and was made from Aluminiun.

Now reengined with a diesel engine. Still as quick apparently!

Baz

I seem to recall some years ago we had one at MVEE with the turret removed and fitted with a V8 lump from a Buick. The thing was tuned up somewhat and would out accelerate the test engineers car. No doubt caused a few second glances as it travelled faster on the test track than the cars on the M3 that ran parallel!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Time spent in Reconnaissance is seldom wasted! 

The last time I saw the Saladin in an operational role was in Cyprus during the late 70's.  It seemed to be the last placement for the military equipment prior to it's retirement. As well as the Saladin we had Whirlwind HAR 10 helicopters at Akrotiri (with a det at Nicosia on UN duties) and teeny weeny airways had recently been upgraded from Sioux (Bell 47) to Allouette II.

Because I had an RAC background ……..

……….. you could fix them?

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

There are a couple of armoured vehicles in a lockup about 200 yards from work.

View from Google streetmap in 2009 - they are still there!  (Much higher view than my car)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.0659249,-2.280971,3a,75y,326.39h,78.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s012dzu5B6O58EhgRS7d-VA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A Stalwart (when they worked they were an amphibious cargo vehicle) and a Saracen

Baz

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Pinz Gauer?  If it is they were /are a useless piece of Kit. The New Zealand Army still has some. (Ashamed to say Vickers bought the Company who made them..on the say so of one of my colleagues in Sales. He was a "Grunt" Captain in the Army.....

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

A Stalwart (when they worked they were an amphibious cargo vehicle) and a Saracen

Baz

And a barrel staring out from under the tarp.......

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I somehow think that the driving experiences a lot of them partook of with us had some bearing towards their broad interpretation of the law.

Near neighbours brother is a now retired police driver. He was sent away for a course with the Army on off road training. He forgot to mention that prior to the driving job he had been in the Army (Parachute Regiment). 

• Like 7
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Now what you really wants is

832395239_PGTE6.jpg.f58993b3b368695f6bbbd0a1685ecb9e.jpg

Not just the green and black beasty but also the Gunnery Part Task Training system in Blue (so that you can learn how to aim and shoot more quickly.

The Beasty..70 Tonnes, 1200hp, 56kph (official max  70 kph on road measured) can go up a 33% incline, you can see in the day and in the dark and boy it takes a bit to stop it!  Namby, pamby Dinky Toys(!)

Baz

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

And a barrel staring out from under the tarp.......

Could be an Abbott (105mm Self Propelled Gun). There are a lot of tehse about in private ownership. Easy to keep going and often described as "tank" when offered for use for paid "training" or "driving experiences"

Baz

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Tried to edit the post and it quoted me to me! Gerfingerprodden and poken ist kapputt!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

I really didn't like Hiwatt amps and though Charlie Watkins was a lovely man, WEM made better pa speakers than guitar ones, alright until you put a mic in front of them and tried to put them through a pa mixer desk, white noise was pleasant by comparison.

Turn of the 60's into the 70's anything American with JBL speakers were way ahead of the rest of the market, for you Bass players Accoustic or Ampeg were the dogs danglies back then. If I could get a guitarist to try to understand simple logistics(which I rarely did), a small Fender amp with a big Shure mic in front of it and a couple of thousand watts of decent pa was better, clearer and louder that any stack ever built...…………………..including Marshalls

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2