The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Daktari: thanks for the pulled pork recipe....

My pleasure, and thank you for the promotion to Lion/Wildlife expert. Much as I admire (from a safe distance) the big cats, I am very much aware of their power... and their attitude: think p1ssed-off moggie writ a million times larger...

3 hours ago, polybear said:

....As they say, the only thing worse than no test is an unreliable test.

The best indicator is to go by symptoms IMHO....

Very true, but how come Germany and Switzerland aren't having the same problems with their testing as the NHS??? (I can think of various reasons, but they would place my comments firmly in the realm of "politics"). As for relying on symptoms for a diagnosis, not the best of ideas. There are quite a number of diseases whose symptomatology overlap with COVID-19, so I think that the best approach is to treat according to the symptom profile and when you get confirmatory diagnostics, treat according to what the diagnostics tell you.

9 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I really didn't like Hiwatt amps and though Charlie Watkins was a lovely man, WEM made better pa speakers than guitar ones, alright until you put a mic in front of them and tried to put them through a pa mixer desk, white noise was pleasant by comparison...

Which is probably why Pete, Dave and Jimmy (they sound like a bunch of mates down the pub as opposed to true guitar pioneers) had HIWATT modify their amps to meet their needs (the HIWATT 100W Amp Head that was modified according to Pete Cornish's designs for Dave Gilmour is still available from HIWATT at a cool £2,500.00 plus)

Regarding the WEM Guitar Cab I think the original cabs had celestions (but I'm probably totally wrong), the Fane speakers are, I believe, replacements

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Neil,

At least you've got those black and red things out, nothing moving here as bridge replacement activity is taking place:

2020TrackWork-31.jpg.a3830a4a7fd490795e996f0b7bc80b67.jpg

The original base was made of marine ply (which cost a mint) but has lasted for at least 12 years but has now delaminated and needs replacement:

2020TrackWork-07.jpg.dc6912573b7fb80ea2e84b2048b4a052.jpg

Luckily its not going to cost me anything to make the replacements as at the time I bought the original marine ply I had to buy the entire sheet so next job is to cut out the new bases:

2020TrackWork-32.jpg.4840470d9d887c0bbf04b962c16373d3.jpg

On the lookout now for some flexible waterproof stuff that I can wrap round the bases and nail them underneath to prolong their life - as the retired bases have lasted for at least 12 years the new ones should see me out..…...

Keith

Roofing felt comes pre gritted which looks good, or epdm aka pond liner.. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, newbryford said:

There are a couple of armoured vehicles in a lockup about 200 yards from work.

View from Google streetmap in 2009 - they are still there!  (Much higher view than my car)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.0659249,-2.280971,3a,75y,326.39h,78.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s012dzu5B6O58EhgRS7d-VA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Helston: https://maps.app.goo.gl/eP8qGF7GzLLMzc5v8  The selection changes regularly.

As an aside - I love the street name! 

• Like 14

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Not only that, it’s also far too sensationalistic. Things like 5 die in the sleepy village of Little Modelling as opposed to the less headline grabbing 195 of the 200 infected people of Little Modelling recover!

In the US, accurately reporting what is happening in New York City, New Orleans or Detroit is terrifying without being sensationalistic. Hospitals are way over capacity and patients are being housed in large conference centres and even in New York, the Episcopalian (what in other places would be Anglican) "Gothic" cathedral of St. John the Divine. The rector made an interview comment that to use a place of spiritual healing for physical healing was fit and proper.

My issue is with the wall-to-wall coverage. In addition to the normally scheduled news, networks have "What you need to know about COVID-19" shows - at least one of which is daily, and they (certainly at one point) have been broadcasting White House briefings (aka election rally proxies) which can easily last two hours.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

11 hours ago, AndyID said:

... both California and Washington seem happy to export the virus to Idaho while Idaho is too complacent or too afraid of certain factions to do anything about it.

The "stay at home" orders seem to be a complete joke. Our son in Tacoma is out of a job and asked that we bring him back here. We wanted to do that but decided it would breach the current orders if we did. Meanwhile so many are simply ignoring the orders, presumably because they think they know better.

Disappearing from a 'hot spot' like Washington or California to retreat to a second home with lower infection rates in say Idaho, is of course the kind of gratuitous selfishness one can expect from the wealthy who believe there are two sets of societal rules.

Academically, it presents a potential transmission vector into the community with the second homes. On the other hand if, once they retreat to their second home, they obey the distancing and stay at home guidelines, there *should* not be much impact. Of course, such academics are irrelevant to a family that suffers due to even a single, preventable outlier.

Early in the pandemic CNN was reporting stories of the very wealthy renting out entire resorts.

The following is unscientifically sourced recent data. I present it with the caveat that there are a couple of mixed sources and I haven't rigorously double checked it all, but orders of magnitude *should* be OK. (I found two mistakes already.)

image.png.e4718d7edb6b7c4f064c49f0cb77dac7.png

Clearly there are differences across the US. Geography, density and the official response to the crisis all factor.

Reported speculation is that NY was seeded largely by cases travelling from Europe before people realized what was happening.

(Forum software automagically produced a .png of the pasted spreadsheet data. That's nice!)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Fixed US population, death rate
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7

37 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.

I don't know anything about geetar amps, but hifi a little.  My deeply loved and rather expensive Musical Fidelity amp died last year, irreparable as the components are either unmarked (deliberately presumably) or unavailable, as well as being apparently very difficult to set up afterwards - so it went in the bin but it had served well for the best part of 30 years.

Since moving to my current location, I have yet to resurrect my Music Fidelity PreAmp (customised!) and the ERA509 power amps!

<rant> I have just watched another in the series of 'Abandoned Engineering' and continue to be frustrated by the 'engineers' (and by this, I include not only Rob Bell but also Fred Dibnah) who have no idea as to the pronunciation of a major Engineering device. I refer to the Caisson which even Isambard Kingdom Brunel would have called a Kassoon. Even the Falkirk Wheel has two <kassoons>!</rant>

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

10 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

would the speeder have been 'awarded' points on his license as well as the fine, is it the same system we have over here in Blighty...?

He might have had his license suspended for 90 days. We don't have the same points system.

The reporter detailed the following in the story I linked:

1-10 MPH over - $110
11-20 MPH over - $160
21-30 MPH over- $265
31+ MPH - $435
100+ MPH - $1,150 (+ potential license suspension of 90 days)

These would only apply in Oregon.

The ticket is essentially a summons. One can plead guilty, no contest, or not guilty in writing. Fines are payable (often have to be done in person) to the relevant jurisdiction. This violation was cited by Washington County Sheriffs, so fines would be paid to the county. Had it been ticketed by a local city police officer, fines would be paid to that city. Either way, if it went to trial, this would be at the County court house.

• Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium

Didn't know about Cassoons, John.  I consider myself edumocacated.

It was an A1 by the way (good for toast....class A), I also had a B1 which I actually preferred, but it was a bit low on power for big speakers.  I still have the T1 tuner, which has had a power supply rebuild, it lives in the garage/den.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

I refer to the Caisson which even Isambard Kingdom Brunel would have called a Kassoon. Even the Falkirk Wheel has two <kassoons>!

Much as I regard IKB in high esteem, there is nothing wrong with pronouncing a word of French origin in a similar way that the French might have pronounced it. Poor Anglicisations do not need to be perpetuated. (Claret, fillet (as fill-ette) etc, come to mind.)

In our global world, 'kay-sonn' is the generally accepted pronunciation elsewhere in engineering professions.

(late 17th century: from French, literally ‘large chest’, from Italian cassone, the spelling having been altered in French by association with caisse ‘case’.)

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 10

Well another nice enough day, bright, dry and breezy but not too cold, there's still snow on the hills to quite a low level, so still dodgy planting stuff out in the garden or even taking things like tomatoes out of the double glazed conservatory and into the greenhouse, SWMBO is being very understanding, there's plants everywhere.

We had a nice bike ride, this time towards the coast and south a bit, 8 miles on single track roads and only one vehicle and two  other cyclist encountered and all at a safe distance, ordered some more plants for the pond, hope the postie doesn't mind, he's been on 2 weeks self isolation after his wife was unwell, he's no idea if it was Covid or not as neither have been tested. Stay safe all.

G'night.

• Like 18