The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I hope to venture into town later, my excuse will that I'm going to get more toilet paper from 'Savers' but as they are only a few doors down from smiffs I might as well pop in there for this months Back Ttrack. ;) Flavio, does Gear Acquisition Syndrom apply to model railways or is there another name applied to it?

44 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The recommendation I made in response to AndyID's query:

image.png.64b047ff94f6a301a72323dbe9e6c5cf.png

Chosen because it  can double up as a tractor (and who'd dare stop you to find out if it were running on red diesel?)

Baz will recognise it as the Scorpion 90.

That reminded me that back in the late 60's early 70's Romford there was a chap driving around in a WW2 Daimler Dingo scout car. You couldn't miss it, it was hand painted in gold Valspar. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Barry O said:

When I worked at the Tank Factory in Leeds we always worked on good Friday (excellent choices of either fish, chips and mushy peas or warm pork pie and mushy peas for lunch). That meant we had Monday and Tuesday off. It worked for me!

Baz

Working Good Friday and holiday Tuesday always seemed like a Yorkshire "thing". Hence York show running Saturday to Tuesday over Easter. 

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Trust the RAF to use more words than necessary.

We had to make do with Daily Detail.

We had all sorts of names for such things on BR.  At Swansea High St they were called  'Daily Orders'.  However at Paddington, obviously a place of greater importance and with a long history and GWR culture to maintain,  they were called 'the Saloon List'.(which had nothing at all to do with 'The Load of Hay' (as it was then called) next door in Praed St - now there was a touch of historical naming in the heart of 19th century London and possibly linked to once nearby stables once used for cab horses?)

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Chosen because it  can double up as a tractor (and who'd dare stop you to find out if it were running on red diesel?)

IIRC, fitted with a Jaguar engine and having a remarkable turn of speed.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Trust the RAF to use more words than necessary.

We had to make do with Daily Detail.

Didn't you have "wolfs door list" like the Armoured lads had???

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Fire that and the Dinky Toy will fall over!:jester:

(All Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked)  as in CVR(T) were known as Dinky Toys to heavy armoured (tank) Regiments)

Baz

• Like 7
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

IIRC, fitted with a Jaguar engine and having a remarkable turn of speed.

Jamie

Yes a Jag engine. A one time boss was working on the automotive side of the design. Guess what one of his cars was? Well knock me down with a feather! An E Type!

At 4 Tons it was very light, very quick (over a 100kph) and was made from Aluminiun.

Now reengined with a diesel engine. Still as quick apparently!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

The Lady of the Awl is now honing her musical skills on piano and harp, though not at the same time. I trust that this may improve her aim.

Be careful that her aim with something heavy at your neck does not improve! 

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

I'm curious Michael - would the speeder have been 'awarded' points on his license as well as the fine, is it the same system we have over here in Blighty...?

A large and quite heavy parcel arrived yesterday (a knock on the front door, parcel left on the step, delivery chap at a safe distance etc), a rather nice book on Mopars which I ordered on Amazon before the lockdown kicked in, it's beautifully illustrated, some of the cars are eyewatering to look at....

MOPAR Book.jpg

'66 Charger, 426 Hemi, Torqueflyte tranny, 4:10 rear = GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 12