The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

but then a helicopter is a helly-copter. When I associated with RNAS Culdrose matelots (their description) they always referred to a Hell-eye.  

We tended to refer to the whole of the military helicopter fleet as cabs.

An RAF S&R fleet Seaking became a big yellow taxi.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a short sharp hail-storm about an hour ago. I was alerted to it by its rattling on the front door and windows, I looked out of the patio doors to the back garden and the patio wasn't even wet and the sun was still shining. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16

15 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Release the Kraken, err Awl. You’ve done it now. We are all dooooooooooooomed. 

If you've read John Windha';s The Kraken Wakes you'll realise just how close it is to the result of Climate Change and Sea Level Rise.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Richard, if you think of how the Olympic target archers with the fancy bows with sights and balances shoot, after the release the bow tips forward - because they aren't actually holding it.

Debs shoots traditional recurve bare bow, so sights etc (including little sneaky marks on the body of the bow) are verboten, the idea is that it is intuitive shooting.

Talking of getting shot, not sure how that 64 got up the Forest, but it is squealing it's brakes going back down the 1 in 30.  Paneer in the wild.

20200412_174741.jpg.5e4c1fc9478b53884e811f04bbd2c443.jpg

Since 6439 seemed to spend her entire BR(W) working life at Ebbw Junction, perhaps the shedmaster took pity and sent her off an a jolly to the FoD.

Sister engine 6437 based at Gloucester certainly went into the woods to play, and was photographed there on 13 May 61 at Coleford Junction, picking up water whilst hauling an enthusiasts rail tour.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sorry, but no need to panic.

Neil has honorary Platinum membership of RMWeb due to his Mercantile Marine service and is therefore exempted from attacks  by the awlmighty.

Not sure on that. What does VAR say?

Virtual 

Awl

Review

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

An RAF S&R fleet Seaking became a big yellow taxi.

That's funny. I remember something similar and was literally a big yellow taxi. Many years ago, Rockwell International moved their corporate headquarters from Pittsburgh to California.

In the late 1980s the CEO demolished two adjacent "shotgun" lots on a cliff overlooking the beach at Corona Del Mar and Newport Harbor to build his personal residence. My colleagues and I used to purchase sandwiches and eat them across the street at this spot. At that time the CEO had his office in El Segundo next to LAX (now a Boeing facility). He commuted, not by toiling up the I405 in heavy traffic like the hoi polloi, but by flying in the corporate helicopter from nearby SNA (John Wayne/Orange County airport) to LAX.

The corporate helicopter wasn't a sleek job like a Jet Ranger but was big and yellow with a big blue Rockwell logo. It believe it was of the big Sikorsky family, possibly a H-34, which you would know as the Westland Wessex. I can confidently say it was big and yellow and used as a taxi.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

11 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Way back when, Montana was a wild state. No speed limits outside of built up areas. When the 55mph came in the state either complied or lost federal funds. They chose to comply with a $5 ticket for depletion of natural resources. Pay the cop on the spot. Found out farmers used to keep a small stack of $5s in the sun visor. Personally, I had several of these tickets. 

Surely not that long ago? When we came here Montana still had no daytime speed limit. I remember hammering along in our Ford Crown Vic. The snag was the speedometer stopped at 85 so I had no idea how fast I was going. Probably around 110.

Eventually the thought that the tires were not rated for that sort of speed and the fact that I found it very tiring made me slow down to something a lot more sensible.

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1