Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

The 'hinge' virus is spreading today!!!!!

Do like the etches from Northstar Coach, especially the corridor/compartment section with doors etc.

Please don't finish this before tomorrow about 3pm as I am going out for lunch after music group :lol:

ATB Phil @36E

One considers the Bachmann announcement about Porthole stock and the one sees this beastie frae the master B)

Bachmann have a tall bar to clear to match this kind of stuff.

That end profile for starters :D

Fabbo as ever Coach

Does anyone know why there was a change to round toilet windows post war?

Actually the first coaches to exhibit these were the 1939 Coronation set, the train that was just too late (a war got in the way and it got stuck in the USA). Probably just a styling fad like the Thompson oval ones. There was also an experimental tube train coach with some round door pocket windows just post-war.

If they were to nail these things Coach, it would be a very big move forwards by a major player.

It would show to me they are being really serious with their research and moving away from generic "ranges"

Here's hoping :pardon_mini:

Guest stuartp

Thanks Coach, Having got most of this wrong with mine I'll know better for the next one (the Comet sides and a skip full of Airfix donor coaches are already stashed - thanks Bachmann ! :angry: ).

I guess it may also be up to people with the knowledge and a philanthropic nature to point Bachmann to where to find the information. If they then do not incorporate these subtlties one can only assume that the economics of generic tooling have won the day. I won't be parting with my brass Stanier stock kits just yet.

By the way, cracking work on the composite Coach.

I also wonder if they realize the 'Porthole' corridor brake third also differs in having a much deeper eaves panel while the sides sit much lower than other coaches because they overlap the floor....

Am I right in saying that you've created your own etches to capture this feature, or do the commercially available (eg. Comet, 247) sides correctly portray the additional bodyside length and deeper eaves?

Just so I can predict how inaccurate my BTKs will be once I source the remaining parts and build them... ;)

If they were to nail these things Coach, it would be a very big move forwards by a major player.

It would show to me they are being really serious with their research and moving away from generic "ranges"

Here's hoping :pardon_mini:

Surely Hornby have already proved this level of detail with some of their incredibly accurate features on the Hawksworth stock such as the bogie differences on the full brake?

It would be interesting to see how Bachmann can do these extended sides though in plastic without it looking thick and while retaining the same underframe as other coaches. The corridor composite will need its own underframe anyway but i'd assume they'd like to use the usual underframe for the brake 3rd.

At least Bachmann will provide something to fill in for the missing Hornby corridor composite and may do an earlier diagram sometime as well if possible.

Thanks Larry. :)

I thought so, from past posts.

I think StuartP did some mods to adjust a proprietary side on one of his... guess I shall consider how brave I feel when I dig out the iron next. It is something that I've spotted quite clearly, since it was first pointed out to me.

Guest stuartp

I think StuartP did some mods to adjust a proprietary side on one of his...

I did, to a Comet kit, but I added the extra height at the bottom :( . I'd like to think that this was deliberate because the coach was largely built when the feature was pointed out to me, but it wasn't, it was pure muppetry. The next one will have the sides pushed down a bit and the gap at the top filled with something.

It's one of those features you don't notice until it's pointed out, then you can't miss it.

Surely Hornby have already proved this level of detail with some of their incredibly accurate features on the Hawksworth stock such as the bogie differences on the full brake?

It would be interesting to see how Bachmann can do these extended sides though in plastic without it looking thick and while retaining the same underframe as other coaches. The corridor composite will need its own underframe anyway but i'd assume they'd like to use the usual underframe for the brake 3rd.

At least Bachmann will provide something to fill in for the missing Hornby corridor composite and may do an earlier diagram sometime as well if possible.

DOH... :blush:

Thanks Craig, you know I'd forgotten about the Hawkies

Too long paying invoices this morning - wibble.. .:lol:

Mind they may be the "prompt" for Bachmann to up their game........

Am I right in saying that you've created your own etches to capture this feature, or do the commercially available (eg. Comet, 247) sides correctly portray the additional bodyside length and deeper eaves?

Just so I can predict how inaccurate my BTKs will be once I source the remaining parts and build them... ;)

I corrected some Comet porthole BTK sides by soldering a piece of 1mm x .012mm brass strip (from our sponsors Eileens Emporium) along the top edge.

Using the later version of BR Maroon with the top lining higher up from the windows, the join was effectively disguised by the lining.

LMS and Crimson/Cream liveries will require careful filling.

I corrected some Comet porthole BTK sides by soldering a piece of 1mm x .012mm brass strip (from our sponsors Eileens Emporium) along the top edge.

Using the later version of BR Maroon with the top lining higher up from the windows, the join was effectively disguised by the lining.

LMS and Crimson/Cream liveries will require careful filling.

Here are a couple of photos of my Porthole BTK with modified Comet sides. The rest is an old PC Models kit and Bachmann bogies.

It is intended to have that "down at heel" look of the mid-60's (so strictly speaking is a BSK).

post-977-0-52890700-1299750573_thumb.jpg

The other coach in this close-up is a standard Hornby TK, and shows the lower sides and windows on the BTK. Just a shame I didn't fit that roof properly - isn't digital photography cruel? :(

post-977-0-28525200-1299750866_thumb.jpg

Oooo that is nice...

Is it presumptuousness to hope that a blog entry may come forth on the Porthole subject from yourself Coach?

Once more, another unknown nugget has come forth on the murky subject of coaching stock. :good_mini:

That 'Porthole' brake second looks pretty damn good. Neatly carried out too. And yes, digital photography is cluel. I've lost count of the number of times I have had to re-photograph models before posting them on here because of previously unseen gremlins...:( :D

Thank you Larry. That is praise indeed coming from the Master Craftsman. Unfortunately, not only am I unable to achieve your standards, it takes me about a month to do what you can in a couple of days!

Incidentally, the inspiration for the dirt around the hinges and destination board brackets came from this photo by Geoff Plumb (although fotopic is "down" as I type)

http://geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/p68746925.html

It shows the effects of using carriage washing plants - the protruding bits cause the brushes to miss surrounding areas. I chickened out on replicating that tatty roof!

It is coincidentally a Porthole CK, which allows a colour view of some of the finer detail in BR Maroon and brings us neatly back on topic :D

Only just noticed you made the Bachmann bogies into welded type. Pretty effective too.

I've looked at ways of converting the Bachmann sloping axleboxes into the later verticle face type. Shamfered castings sprang to mind glued to the Bachmann axleboxes.

All I did was scrape the rivets off the bogie side frames and used some microstrip to "represent" the welded gussets. I must admit I'm not really "up" on the detail differences between welded and rivetted bogies.

That link to the CK on fotopic still doesn't seem to be working. <_<

On the project "list" is a post war diag. 2123 BTK, which I understand had the same deeper sides and lower windows as the Porthole BTK. I'll be using the same method to deepen the Comet sides, but this time with a Hornby BTK as a base. I might put some "work in progress" pics on here, but at the moment I'm mid-way through a Comet/Airfix D1969 CK conversion and tarting up a couple of Lima LMS parcels vans as coupling converter vehicles so, at my pace it will be a few weeks way.

Ooh there's something very satisfying about doing coaches! :)

Ooh there's something very satisfying about doing coaches! :)

Agreed... B)

Mind having a person like Coach to coax and inspire is a help.

Oh to get this house move sorted finally!!! :angry:

Agreed... B)

Mind having a person like Coach to coax and inspire is a help.

Oh to get this house move sorted finally!!! :angry:

Best of luck with the move. Reminds me of my last one. Car crammed with the most precious items. Boxes of models - wife not too impressed! :lol:

Just on that D2123 BTK, here is the picture that triggerd my interest, courtesy of Robert Carroll (of this parish)-

W26585M

Can't resist a "W" prefix Stanier for my Cambrian lines theme! Try as I might, I can't see if the end steps and handrail have been removed. The bottom step is still there, but the roof rail has gone. There's always something not quite clear enough in photos <_<

It would make an interesting project. It had the older type of sliding window ventilators, an extra door in the corridor side and rectangular lavatory window. In fact, I fear it requires a new etching as nothing available could be used. Postwar LMS coaches are a minefield.

The Hornby Brake third is a different animal altogther. It had the lavatory at the brake end of the passenger compartments, hence the long run of water filler pipes along the roof. What this coach is good for is fitting shallow window vent sides.

Comet do sides for D2123 (cat. no M45). The example shown in the link in my last post seems to have the later type of window ventilators.

I'm aware of the differences to the Hornby BTK. I'll be removing the roof ribs, vents and filler pipes. The advantage to me lies in the fact that I won't need to do much to the ends (other than the later type gangway suspension brackets) and the underframe comes with close coupling mechanisms, which I use with Keen Systems floating gangway end plates. The alternative is to use Keen mechanisms, which I have on the inboard end of my Porthole BTK and others, but I can't get them to self-centre successfully. Also, even though it's a rivetted rather than welded underframe, it's much better than I can achieve and I'll remove the rivet detail. Not sure how I'm going to make the bogies look like welded ones yet,but I'll think of something!

I've been following this post with interest as I have several Comet sides for Porthole and other post war coaches in my stash, some part completed on Airfix bodyshells. However last night a fellow member of the UMRC passed a print out of Bachmann's latest planned offerings and there are 6 Porthole coaches listed. Yet again the curse of kit builders strkes!

Archived