Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

..... Of great interest is your mention of the use of a (brown?) permanent marker pen......

Dave, The NFL50's are only available in Black, Red, Green and Blue, or at least I've never seen a Brown on my Wholesaler's Order Pro-Forma.

Note that Coachman says 'I normally paint partitions a sandy-teak colour', so perhaps the NFL50 is for the graining in black.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Coach. Unfortunately there was no steam-hauled passenger stock on the line that my layout-in-progress represents but I think I'll be applying the "It's my trainset" rule and even looking at other periods, such is the inspiration from this thread. The finish on your stock looks superb, do you always use cellulose and do you do anything to the final coat, T-Cut for instance? I used to spray cars with cellulose some 3o-odd years ago but can't get it readily where I am now.

Err sorry coach but how does Brasso get rid of over spray...not saying it doesn't, just I've never heard of this being done with the particular substance. Could you enlighten on the method please. Another thought...is Brasso still available?

Beautiful work again Larry, very, very envious.

Mike

Brasso is a mild abrasive, far more suited to the thin coats of paint on models than T-cut. I used to polish refurbished Exley coaches with it. Brasso is indeed still available...... £1.99 from Stermat.

Larry G.

Thanks Larry.

I know I'm going to regret asking this question...but...why did the etch for the coach sides come in two halves? or is this a dodge from Bill to get the tumblehome correct, or is there something I'm missing, just curious that's all.

Mike

Thanks Larry.

I know I'm going to regret asking this question...but...why did the etch for the coach sides come in two halves? or is this a dodge from Bill to get the tumblehome correct, or is there something I'm missing, just curious that's all.

Mike

Gresley coaches feature panelling in three levels which is difficult to produce using two dimensional etching. Three methods are typically used to overcome this:

1) Half etched recesses where the lower beading is located which are then reproduced using plastic strip or wire glued/soldered into the recesses.

2) Produce the coach side in two parts as here, the lower part partially overlapping the upper etch. This is probably the best compromise in terms of economy and least building time. This method is used by a number of kit manufacturers. To reproduce the lower door edges these need to be scribed by the builder, or left off.

3) Produce separate etched panels which solder into pockets in the side etching. Less economical that option 2 and takes builder more time to solder, however lower door edges are etched in.

Hope that helps.

Mucky Duck :

I was introduced to cellulose by the owner of Tydsley & Holbrook on Deansgate, Manchester circa 1962 and never looked back. Red Oxide primer is always from an airosil (it is well formulated and there was no point in mixing my own). Colour goes through a gun and the final coat is 'wet' so that it settles well when drying out. No T-cutting necessary but Brasso is used to remove any accidental overspray.

Only just spotted this… thanks Coach!

• 2 months later...

Blimey Coach, if you can't recall building it, it begs the question how many have you built?!!!

It oozes quality though, of that there's no doubt. The 2nd Class designation must be a rare appendage, did any other passenger vehicles carry them in BR days?

Blimey Coach, if you can't recall building it, it begs the question how many have you built?!!!

It oozes quality though, of that there's no doubt. The 2nd Class designation must be a rare appendage, did any other passenger vehicles carry them in BR days?

Yes. BR built 15 open seconds for boat traffic, S3500-14. They had a door in one seating bay and 2+1 seating. Subsequently they were upgraded to open first.

Chris

Hi Coachmann,

The finish and lining-out of the coaches in post 388 - let alone the quality of construction, is astounding. How on earth do you get such neat lining? Do you use some sort of guides?

I speak as one who is dreading the thought of having to line-out a BR blue/grey EMU at some point in the not too-distant future and does not wan to resort to transfers.

Colin

No progress to show on the MR D1046 but I can show work on a new coach kit from John Fozard at North Eastern Design. The apparent dents are a trick of the light. This is a Thompson 4-compartment corridor brake third

Envy is such a wicked thing!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the earlier response Coach (re. baccy Bogies)

If this Thompson is as good as Fozzy's Subs then he's on to a winner as they are lovely kits (even if you do have to source quite a lot of stuff from MJT - but I count that as a bonus of choice!!)

Archived