Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

I remember an article in MRJ were the Hornby Staniers had their glazing eased out of the sides and then were given the indelible marker on the parts of the mould that would not show and the edge of the windows.

How easy it would be to do that on these? Hmmmmmmmmmm

I have to say, the glazing on the bottom coach is incredible! Thoroughly realistic. In that respect, the Hornby one falls down be comparison - but my god, they are still terrific coaches for the prices I'm paying for them. Thoroughly taken with mine, and more teaks will be on the way.

Regarding the primrose lining Larry, what is the best method of removal? I have made alterations to mine based on a few photographs I found of similar coaches in Hull in '49, but am afraid to touch the lining at present, should I ruin the teak effect.

Thanks for that. I may invest in some although how they will look compared to the kirk kits I have built is a bit of a concern. They are definitely an improvement on the kirks but not as good as the Fozzards but then whilst the Fozzard coaches are superb they do cost considerably more.

First thing I did after fettling the parts was form the tumblehome. Door handles on these coaches were recessed. The short lengths of brass that serve as backing plates for the door handles were discarded in favour of one strip of brass that was found on the fret. Holes for the door handles were drilled afterwards. Top side shows the continuous door handle strip. The ends were re-profiled to suit a 247 Developments roof...

Close up of the sides with door handles and lower hinges in place. The top hinge holes were fllled with solder. Bill Bedford provides a neat etching with top, middle & lower hinges in place. Fitting these means fitting 22 peices of glazing at the end of the job. My well known hobbyhorse is one-peice glazing each side so they were discarded.smile.gif ...

The 60ft GCR coach with solebars and bufferbeams in place. As I want to get this coach out of the way before weekend, some liberties have been taken, for instance LMS bufferbeams.....

Well Coach

Having read your posts regarding the construction of the above carriage i have given in and purchased one. Regards the roof, which 247 developments one would you suggest as i am not sure which would be most appropriate... after all this is my first forray into the world of pre-grouping carriages.

Also thanks for suggesting the Foxline Hayfield book to me a while ago, this has provided much inspiration.

I just need a C13 or A5 tank engine to go with the above and my gresley articulated coaches, if only an RTR manufacturer would oblige as im not upto building loco kits yet!

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Great job coach; those Fozzy sides look nice. Remind me, do they come as one piece?

The Hornby Gresley Sub coaches have opened up another new area for LNER fans that can't face a metal kit build. There are Thompsons to come too. I wonder if Comet sides will fit the Hornby product(s)?

Phil @ 36E

• RMweb Gold

i have just started to build some LNWR (west cost joint stock) and cant find the vents that go above the windows and doors and was hopeing you could point me to where i coulld get some from. and does any one do the door handels has well? i have looked at 247 and 51L i may have missed them

Hi Larry,

I thought that I had better check the 18 other pages before I ask you this question, nothing worse than having to repeat yourself. Varnish, could you tell me what varnish and method you use ie :- acrylic,aerosol or brush, etc.

All the best, Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Coach

as usual brilliant.

If you don't want a totally permanent weathering process you can use diluted indian ink ( mix with water to suit) and use the same technique - if you need to remove it just use "CIF" and water with a cloth. Mind you , for such a skilled painter as you it would be just as easy to repaint!

• RMweb Premium

Chessieliner :

Thanks, I hadnt though of that. You are right, acrylic weathering is permanent and won't even come off with bleach, so the indian ink idea is worth a try next time. :good:

I pinched it from the military modellers - if you give everything a quick once over just watch the detail appear! I will try and get you a photo or two when Mr Edge finishes sorting out my stock for Herculaeneum Docks' trip to Preston and York Shows this year.

• 2 weeks later...

After applying HMRS 'Methfix' insignia the windows were covered while matt varnish was applied. Then the Maskol was removed from the windows. Slate panels were added although I'm not sure all Gresley full brakes got them...

Larry,

There is a good picture (2 page spread) of E70451E with the 'slate' panels (as you have done them) in Truro dated 8th April 1960 in British Railways Illustrated October 2005 pages 4/5.

HTH

D*mmIt - I've gone right through this thread and all it is about is coaches, where are the scantily clad women I read about on another thread? :lol:

Stationmaster,

You haven't been looking close enough....They're in the coaches, keeping their heads down

Khris :angel:

Archived