Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

Lovely job Larry - I have to say the teak finish was as good as it gets (though I do prefer the Crimson & Cream) and I'd have loved to have seen a rake of these behind a pre-war A4. If i get my own Gresley RF half one eighth as good as that in the simpler BR Maroon livery I'll be doing well!

Lovely coachbuilding.

I do like a well weathered panel coach - Black and Decker boy on here did some Gresleys a couple of years ago, quite subtle, and like you say it really brings the panelling to life where all the crud accumulates in the places that the carriage washers cant get to!

Sorry if I missed it, but was this a Hornby conversion with replacement (Comet?) sides to start with? Apologies for being lazy if it's on the blog.

It does look fine in that blood and custard, my favourite livery on these, but that teak looked a lovely finish, almost a shame to cover it. But as you say, you need the right balance for the era.

Jonathan

So you are contemplating "modding" the ones with your original modification then Coach?

Seems a bit drastic since they are the beasties that seemed to hook so many to your wiles and wisdom...

Mind I do suppose next to everything else they now look out of place?

Well actually Coach, I was thinking more of a repaint since they are not appearing in all over carmine.

It would be fascinating to see such a transformation as even a spray paint muppet like me could try that one with some confidence - well maybe...

Hearing of Mr MJT's involvment certainly made my ears prick up B)

Larry

What did you use to get that opaqueness in the toilet windows? I've struggled to find something that actually looks like frosted glass, frankly white sprayed acetate does not cut it as far as I'm concerned...

Beautiful coaches, very, very envious.

cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gents. Because it is a ruthless excercise pulling the etched brass sides off a coach to strip paint before putting them back again, I am backdating some of the teak livery Gresleys to LNER pre-war insignia and lining with a view to disposal. Sad day really but there will be no moving away from 1958.

Why backdate them Coach?

Some may find them appealing as they are surely...... :coolclear:

I would have thought early BR is likely to be more popular than LNER, besides a bit of teak in the early 50's with all those experimental liveries, makes them stand out from the Hornby models just that little bit more too! No doubt about it coach, I'd leave them as is!

Hope you haven't implemented you back-dating plan into action now! :mellow:

1958 is my choice of year too, although a bit of modellers licence or turning a blind eye may be required so I can run some of the stuff I intend! B)

Best Wishes

Paul

Have I gone to all that trouble when I didnt need to....? :( :lol:

Could be Coach :D

Enough people have been turned on to coach construction by your blogs and threads.

Some may even have the the early BR period as an interest as Kempenfelt says - cue mass dribbling and itchy wallets :lol:

Mind that one you have back dated does have a certain naughtiness about it...

Archived