Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

...............These Louvres for the toilet window.

I used them differently to you have.

I appear to have reversed them and then filled in the gap between the window and lovre frame.

This means that my slats showed as recessed and not projections.

Phil - you're quite correct and as seen in Spamcan's linked photo the grill is slotted ;

post-6691-021741500 1291678647_thumb.png

In 4mm scale it should measure around L. 4.4mm W. x 1.9mm x D. 0.4mm reducing to 0.25mm at the bottom.... It doesn't come much better than what Bachmann modelled.

Interestingly though - the one supplied by Comet looks more like the aluminium cover that was fitted over it on the inside! huh.gif

AT LAST, Back to the BR Mk.I corridor composite....

Glazing arrived today in the form of Evergreen 005" thick and 010" thick for experimentation. Trail and error showed the thinner glazing was just too thin. It followed the countour of the Mk.I side but was too full of creases to look realistic. So in the end the 010" was used. These are the sides glazed with First Class and No Smoking signs...

Getting there.....The corridor side glued in place to the chassis and coach ends with Evostick....

WOW! Any plans for more MK1's?

Hi Larry,

Good to see you're back. The Compo looks great, but any chance of scraping off those heavy Bachmann roof ribs ? They did have lines on the roof, but only the scars of welding lines, between the roof panels, unlike the heavy ribs on LMS stock. I slice and scrape off these Bachmann and Southern Pride ribs with a sharp curved blade knife, but leave a suggestion of a line, then rub down and repaint. Trouble is, once you've done it to one Mk1, you have to do your whole fleet. :D Still, each to his own. :P

Cheers, Brian.

Hi Larry,

Good to see you're back. The Compo looks great, but any chance of scraping off those heavy Bachmann roof ribs ? They did have lines on the roof, but only the scars of welding lines, between the roof panels, unlike the heavy ribs on LMS stock. I slice and scrape off these Bachmann and Southern Pride ribs with a sharp curved blade knife, but leave a suggestion of a line, then rub down and repaint. Trouble is, once you've done it to one Mk1, you have to do your whole fleet. :D Still, each to his own. :P

Cheers, Brian.

I agree, Brian, :good_mini:

On the real thing, the roof panels were joined together by butt / seam welding, and, as such, should only be represented by a very light, raised line.

The (Triang) Hornby, Lima, Mainline, and early Replica Mk.1s, got this 'about right'

On introduction, Bachmann chose to represent these joints by a heavier, wider, raised ridge, followed by Replica, with their 63'-5" suburban Mk.1s.

Bachmann's recent 4-CEPs have dispensed with any roof panel representation, and, hopefully, will continue this, with their 2-EPBs

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

the floor, ends and everything else were fabricated or from my parts box.

Then I uncovered some rivetted cosmetic ends and soldered them on top of the existing ends instead.....

Solebars were from my 'All-Steel' brake third as were the batterybox holders. Vee- hangers and dynamo were positioned as per the previous Hornby Full Brake.

Bogies are my own castings and represent the MR/early LMS type with short springs and sloping back axleboxes.

Some of us would kill for your parts box :lol:

• RMweb Gold

I am consceous that having my own etchings to hand does help. But what I am hoping is these coaches will inspire others to have a go with etched sides. This narrow-bodied 'All~Steel' van was an experiment. Thinking about it last night, it need not have been all brass. The etched sides could just as easily have been put on a Bachmann LMS full brake, a less expensive conversion than using a Hornby donor, and the underframe altered to suit from the conventional trussrod type. :)

EDIT: Having made the above remark, I wonder has anyone measured a Bachmann 50' full brake to see if it is 8' 6" wide..? I'm interested to know the results.

This thread has given me ideas, so your theory worked!

The only problem I have is the distance I will have to drive to raid your parts box :D

Both the Hornby and Bachmann models are 34.2mm wide immediately under the rainstrips.

Hi Larry

Great pics of the coaches as always,what an inspiration to us all.

Was interested to see you mention Kern draughtsmans bow-pens are these the only ones you use or do you use others. If they are the only ones you use can I ask were do you get them from? and what others makes do you recommend.

looking to have a go at modifying coaches and will need to some lining.

Thx in advance and keep the inspiratiom comming.

Another source of Drawing sets are Local Flea markets. I've picked up a couple of Victorian/Edwardian full drawing sets with good ruling pens in them for under £20 - you just have to search. They are usually in well used leatherette cases but good instruments because they have been used and maintained by draughtsmen.

Kerns have always been expensive, but as Larry says well worth it. I bought a one in Luzern about 25 years ago and they were over £30 then.

Blimey Coach, you don't half put the rest of us to shame.... in the time it's taken you to build and paint two beautiful pieces of rolling stock, all I've managed to accomplish on the railway front is to shuffle a few tins of Humbrol round in the paint box and pull a couple of WR books from the middle shelf. Astounding work Sir, astounding B)

Talk about raising the game!

Nidge

Whilst I do not rush things, I also have a thing about clearing my desk and not waking up to the same task for more than two days on the run.

Off-road centre wheels was the curse of rushing things this icy morning.

Does anyone know of someone who etches 57ft LMS parcels van sides of the sort that were ex-Ambulance conversions after WW2....?

247 Developments possibly?

There are four of them (at least) in this train.

When this photo appeared in Model Rail, a reader then sent in a photo of a cut and shut conversion they had done from RTR coaches - old Mainline LMS Period I stock I think.

Southern Pride do etches of the other type of 57' BG. Here is one by Brian Kirby:

P1040151s.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

I love that 'matchboard replacement' effect, Larry. Wish I could replicate it on some of my kit stock as you know it was very common on pre-group vehicles that found their way into departmental service.

Dave.

Archived