Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

Larry,

when you built the Thompson was that a full comet Thompson kit (or a resided Bachmann- though I seem to recall it wasn't a resided RTR) but cant remember the combination you used?

Thanks

David

They are a single bolster version of the standard BR loco-hauled bogie, based on the standard EMU bogie. They were fitted to a batch of SK from 1957 (lot no. 30349). It was an attempt to improve upon the poor ride of the standard bogie once wear had set in. It was not successful as it still contained too many parts for maintenance.

The best bet to model these would be the Mk1 EMU bogies supplied by DC Kits.

Mark

A possible option to get some single bolster bogies is to use the unpowered bogies off the Bachmann 4CEP. You would need to replace the CEP's roller bearing axleboxes for the plain version as depicted in your photo.

I think your statement's correct though some Thompson Brakes didn't recieve lining at the cantrail. It's omission seems completely adhoc. I'll look for the text in Haresnapes book on liveries. It may even be in Harris' book on LNER coaches

Thanks. The steel angle truss underframes did have 8' and 8'6" bogies but it was the turnbuckle trussrod underframe I was concerned with. I have decided to swop underframes around and fit the full brake with a mid 1930's angletruss type. The thought of adapting a Hornby chassis to take cast bogies of either Fox or Gresley 8' is too much on a Sunday morning. :D

Larry..... According to John Edgsons drawing the Gresley 8ft bogies are of the heavy weight pattern, if you want to fit them all is not lost as Mailcoach do a plastic version, I remember fitting some to my 8ft etches

a little while ago......... John

• RMweb Premium

The Comet Gresley steel full brake is certainly a thought.

Is it the one you would like though?

I hadn't quite cottoned on to the fact that the Comet FB big un is a steel or there's the shorter non gangwayed! Doh!

Whatever the outcome I'm sure you will overcome the thin thing and will be finished by tomorrow.

Just as a bit of an after thought, recently I 'reinforced' a 'thin sided' piece with quite a thick layer of solder along the back face where it was to be 'turned under' (bit like an overdone tinning ready for a sweat join). It sort of laminates the etch and makes it 'stronger'. You could give that a go if the sides would flatten out again?

Good luck, Phil @ 36E

• RMweb Premium

You are correct....I checked out Comet's website and, just as I thought, the Gresley teak 61' full brake isn't mention. So I altered my post.:)

I've been relaxing with a Gresley brake composite today. It was the very first Hornby coach of the type I bought. Apart from narrowing the chassis, the body had re,mained untouched. Today I replaced the sides with etched brass ones from Comet.

That's the ticket. Who needs hassle with coaches ;) Look forward to seeing it tomorrow.:O

P.

• RMweb Premium

Coach. This is Premiership pace coach building compared to my Eastern Counties Sunday Pub League 4th Division stagger around the work-bench :D luvverley stuff. (However Crawley Town didn't do too badly so there is hope.........(not that they are Eastern Counties etc. of course :unsure: and are destined for the Footy League I'm sure, passing Plymouth Argyle going in the other direction - pah!:angry:

Returning to the full brake situation; just a thought, is the announced Hornby FB going to be of any use or is it a different Diagram from that MJT thing you were playing with?:huh:

P @ 36E

Have you checked with Dart Castings in case you have a duff etch ? My Kitchen Car arrived today so now two coaches to fight with :) I managed to get a copy of MRJ 95 with a excellent article on buidling the Kitchen Car by Steve Banks , recomended .

• RMweb Premium

Mallard, I love your sense of humour...:lol:

I'm afraid the Gresley Full Brake was relegated to non-league :( playing on a croft above an abandoned coal mine.............In fact management went for an early shower after last Saturdays game and have since chucked the towel in! ;)

Coach, thanks. If I /we can't be 'daft' at 'our age' then who can? I'm actually a bit like a railway coach in that as I get older bits start to rot, drop off and need replacing. I also need refurbishing on a regular basis, need less demanding work and maybe more cleaning than before.

Hopefully when I am finally withdrawn, I will be placed in a Heritage area and gently restored to my former glory after which I will give loads of people loads of pleasure (careful with any response to that bit) :O

Back to the subject in question; did you see my post in the wrong place( D167 thread) about the forthcoming Hornby Full Brake and if that was going to be of any use?

Oh, I also meant to ask if you have ever used MJT sides/ends with a Comet under-frame or is it easier with a donor RTR coach?

P @ 36E

If it floats your boat then hey Coach....Its still pretty decent beastie.

This is one rivet counter who cannae paint properly yet - ahem :blush_mini:

Well one is learning he says

Too many years build wagons and crappy goods loco's :happy_mini:

I did have an A3 but it got transferred to another shed!:D The Gresley full brake will be part of the Red Bank Parcels. The Eastern Region stock workings from Hull, York and Newcastle over Standedge were worked by LMR locos mainly. Shame A1's weren't used though as I used to have to go to Leeds and York to see them.

Your going to have your work cut out Larry with the Red Bank it could load to nearly and over 20 vehicles !!

Now that is tasty Coach B)

And as for hacking up sleepers mon? Try convincing the bread -knife that you have a cunning plan.

Lord knows what my beloved will make of things once she sees me start.................. :crazy_mini:

Hi Larry,

Not sure if Comet Gresley sides are on 15 thou or 18thou.

18 thou for Gresley panelled stock. 12 thou for LMS panelled stock. Steel sided stock are a mix of 10 and 12 thou.

Trust you are keeping well?

Regards,

Jeff

Archived