Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

Larry

Excellent build have you used MJT for underframe etc?

I have just used MJT underframes for a revamp on some old basic built Kirk versions.

I have seen the Fozard site very nice kits. Its a shame in a way that Hornby are doing the LNER Suburbans as this will hit some of his sales I would imagine

p.s Just started cutting up a Hornby underframe/coach body for rebuild into a LNER Resteraunt 1st as per your blog, a great help

thanks

Mick

Three have been backdated to prewar...

An example ...

I accept this is nitpicking but current opinion is that the guard's handrails in teak days should be teak colour rather than black.

They look superb by the way. Glad to see you are back onto a sensible region again ;)

• RMweb Premium

Had it been feasable without damaging them, I would have stripped and repainted the two Kemilway coaches blood & custard seeing as they took me so long to complete. I've kept just one in teak livery, although it is probably cheating for circa 1958.

Larry

Oh b****r. If you say Kemilway Gresleys took YOU so long to complete what am I going to do with the two I've acquired? I've already trembled whilst reading the 'book' of instructions, ESPECIALLY when I saw how the roof was formed at the ends :blink:.

Any 'tips' gratefully accepted on these kits; they look beautiful but very complex.

Hornby bogies - yes?

Cheers, Phil @ 36E.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Coach,

This is probably a daft question and i may have missed the answer already being given, but how do you make the bottom hinges on your LMS stock, I've always used comet door handles, or flattend brass pins soldered in which look nothing like as good.

Thanks for all the inspiration

Oh b****r. If you say Kemilway Gresleys took YOU so long to complete what am I going to do with the two I've acquired? I've already trembled whilst reading the 'book' of instructions, ESPECIALLY when I saw how the roof was formed at the ends :blink:.

Any 'tips' gratefully accepted on these kits; they look beautiful but very complex.

Hornby bogies - yes?

Cheers, Phil @ 36E.

Try these frae Wizard models?

LNER Gresley 61ft 6in carriage roof

Scale:4mm:1ft; (1:76) OO, P4 & EM Gauges

Made by:51L [LNEC001]

Try these maybe?

I've got some and they do look ok to my eye.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mallard. I simply built them as one would, and fitting the detailed sides to the Hornby roof and ends was no more challenging than fitting Comet, MJT or Bill Bedford etched sides.

It was in fitting the darn glazing that took so long. I think there were some 48 separate peices to cut and carefully glue in position on the GNR coaches. Had the droplights been etched in, then the toplight windows and quarterlights would not have required separete peices of glazing.....Just one peice right along each side would have done the trick.

Asking for etch-in droplights is like asking for an extra bowl of gruel in a workhouse, although one firm has reworked its old artwork and Bill Bedford will do this if asked (I think).

Thanks Coach. Oh of course you used the sides on a donor; I should have remembered that. I've got the whole bloomin kits :O

Maybe I'll just shunt them to the back of the to do drawer :P

36E

• RMweb Premium

Try these maybe?

Hi Ian - that's a brill idea; I could order them & give it a go. I think they would be an easier bet than the Kemilway etched ones that I will post a pic of on here sooner or later.

36E

Try these maybe?

Ian

Very interesting new addition for the LNER modeller, are they like

the MJT roof with a ledge for the top of the folded side to sit on or

are they like the Comet roofs where the sides sit inside ?

John

• RMweb Premium

Try these maybe?

Hi again Ian. I've had a look at the 51L site and Wizard and there is no sign of this roof. Should I have used Specsavers?:P

Phil @36E

Try these maybe?

I have a feeling (based on the price) that these are the same roof moulding that can be found for sale in a small corner of the Precision Paints stand at shows. I believe that it is moulded by them. IIRC they sell for £5 each or £12 for 3. This moulding has been around for a few years now.

Cheers....Morgan

• RMweb Premium

Go to Wizard Models site, then click on Product types in LH red column, then click on Carriage Componenets in Plastic (2).

This will gve you the plastic roof details but no illustration.

Cheers coach. Have booked appointment at Optician! I think Wizard might be at the Pontefract show so I'll see if he has any there.:blink:

Phil @36E

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So far as I know these mouldings are used by the Retford mob so................... B)

Good enough for Mr Jackson etc? :lol:

Cheers Ian. I now have one of these roof mouldings! Well, if it's good enough for Mr J, all that remains is for me to get those Kemilway etches out and start to play (:crazy_mini:arrrrgggghhhhh!) However, I seem to remember Mr J telling me that he has used these on some of his Comet 61' Gresleys? Maybe I'll try that first as it's less likely to be so frightening :P.

BUT, back to this lovely thread. Coach, you are a brave man to have 'shed' your beauties, however you now need to build a load more!;)

36E

Excellent - I trust you nail those Kemilways.

As to our mentor keeping a GNR beauty and giving it the B & C treatment? Should be interesting... B)

Agree with Mick mind but tis your call Coach....

Larry, you mention that you stripped the paint off for repainting, can I ask what you use for removing the paint and what steps you take prior to repainting to prepare the model. I have used old brake fluid before but there has to be a better way.

Ralph

Larry,

I think I have been mislead by a paragraph in Jenkins and Essery that talks about "the brake composites". I thought they were referring to all Period I BCKs but re-reading it in context it is just the D1704s. Thanks again.

Alan

Here's one for you BR Mk.I builders. The 'other' Mk.I bogie as fitted to some open seconds (I think). Anyone ever modified a standard bogie or has found some castings?

They are a single bolster version of the standard BR loco-hauled bogie, based on the standard EMU bogie. They were fitted to a batch of SK from 1957 (lot no. 30349). It was an attempt to improve upon the poor ride of the standard bogie once wear had set in. It was not successful as it still contained too many parts for maintenance.

The best bet to model these would be the Mk1 EMU bogies supplied by DC Kits.

Mark

Archived