Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

Great stuff, Larry. Following your help on the S&DJR PP stock in another thread, I've now started building my own D1790 so I look forward to seing you complete a couple of these in the time I'll take to add the door stops on mine :rolleyes:

Nick

The 60ft GCR coach with solebars and bufferbeams in place. As I want to get this coach out of the way before weekend, some liberties have been taken, for instance LMS bufferbeams.....

98% of us Larry won't see anything other than well constructed and finished carriages smile.gif

Have a good weekend away!

Hope the weather holds up Bob. Not a happy personage this morning as I do not like jobs being held up. Today I leaned over to grab a pair of GCR 10' 6" bogies only to find they're not! Weard, as I has set a pair aside after completing the Barnum coach.

I know a bloke who has some luckily. He said to let everyone know if they want any! This is the coach showing both sides. The door hoods puzzled me slightly as it looks as if GCR coaches were built with this shallow type, but that some GC coaches acquired the larger LNER type in later years. I found a picture in the early 1950's and have run with that....

Who has some then Coach? :blink:

Dribble....

Mind that is another tasty morsel...........

Iak : Ian Willets of Willets Scale Models. I produced them in the early 1980's when a batch of GC 'Barnums' was being built by DCL, and I'll bet the castings date from then. :D

Sláinte Coach B)

And that looks a beauty...

Lovely work as usual Larry. I was thinking about converting one of the sets of 57' TKs from David Geen into one of these. I'm not sure how noticeable the extra 2mm would be, but obviously the panelling on the ends is different. I was wondering where you got the bogies and battery boxes from. Are they your own castings or sourced elsewhere? I am hoping to make some 54' MR coaches and the bogies and battery boxes would be very useful. Look forward to seeing this one progressing - knowing you it will be lined out by Saturday!

It's always a pleasure to dip into this thread, and I enjoy the background information on each model. The 50s is a great era to model Larry, as there was a delightful mix of charming pre-grouping vehicles still in use. I still think they could pass for 7mm scale, and I would be pleased to get my O gauge coaches to look that good!

Regards

Tony

Yes - thats Sidelines, I have a cupboard full of their kits, and an almost finished rake of 4 LMS 57 footers - with 2 just left to paint... I will post the pics on the Derby Line when they are done...

Regards

Tony

Larry,

It's good to see yet a further example of your super work - and so quick, as Olddudders has commented. Is this new example for the future incarnation of Greenfield? Or are you now planning to do Delph - in which case you'll probaly have it finished before I can wire up the next board!!

As a matter of interest, I ran some of your coaches (out of location) on "Dewsbury GN" at Scalefour North, this last weekend, including the classic M15/M52 combination behind my (still) part completed Fowler 2-6-2T. I also ran the M52/M76A and M15/Period II Open combinations. I must say, they seemed to cause some puzzled expressions and close scrutiny for some of the visitors. As a whole, the ex-LNWR motor coaches are quite unusual.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Dave.

Yes, Larry, I've got a couple more combinations I didn't take to Wakefield - next time, perhaps - but I need to complete some more motor fitted locos. At your current rate, I'm sure you'll soon overtake my collection of Delph push-pull stock.

Your point about the limited operating potential for Delph versus greenfield is well made. With my current rate of progress, though, I'll be lucky to finish and populate Delph, so I wouldn't stand a cat in Hell's chance with a bigger enterprise like Greenfield, even if I had the space. It's also why I'm being a bit ecconomical with the reality in order to slightly increase the variety of trains I'm able to run (the Greenfield turn-backs extended to the terminus, Wakes specials, enthusiast specials off the Southern, etc!). You may be appaulled to know that besides the Delph push-pulls, I also ran Taw Valley on Dewsbury where it was equally at home as it is on Delph. It ran beautifully and did look rather grand in the effortless way it hauled my 9 Bachmann Mk1's plus a visiting TPO van - a slight slip on starting (very prototypical) then smooth acceleration and running.

Happy modelling!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Stunning as always Coach :good_mini:

Your excellent work has now encouraged me to have a go at a brass coach kit. It'll probably be towards the end of the year but I'm definately going to give it a go.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• 1 month later...

Have you information re the vacumn pipes? I havent added any to my build as unable to confirm either way. They maybe the "hang down " type ?

The Fanlight will be a real pain to fit after painting. The window area lets the kit down. This is due to poorly rebated window spaces which are very small and nothing at all between the top of the fixed toilet window and the fanlight moulding.

I have had paint creep under the glazing when painting the toilet windows. This is due to being very hard to glue the glazing without glue seeping out from the rebates. into view. It would have been much better to hace rebated the whole window are as one , you could then glaze the whole area with one piece of glazing. All of this is of course IMHO :D

• RMweb Gold

I have had paint creep under the glazing when painting the toilet windows. This is due to being very hard to glue the glazing without glue seeping out from the rebates. into view. It would have been much better to hace rebated the whole window are as one , you could then glaze the whole area with one piece of glazing. All of this is of course IMHO :D

Exactly as I found with the Parkside Dundas GW horsebox. So at least that's two of us!

8ft w.b. bogies were built this morning with stepboards. Vacuum pipes had to be resoldered to the front of the bufferbeam as clearances were found to be tight behind the beam once the front guard irons were soldered to the leading bogie. Just grabbed a photo before spraying the coach....

The louvers above the doors were make from plastikard. Same method I used in the early 1960s when building plastikard coaches.... Draw a fine-tooth saw along one edge of a sheet several times until the tooth pattern is perfect, then cut a section off. Next cut louvers to length and affix with Loctite.

This brings back memories of these coaches clattering over the pointwork at Heaton Norris! As with everybody else I'm utterly amazed at the quality of the work and the extraordinarily short time it takes you to produce it.

Regards

Mighty fine it looks too, Larry. I'm not surprised about the steps - I replace mine with brass wire and angle as a matter of course.

If you do decide on another horsebox (no-one can ever have too many horseboxes) Dan Pinnock is offering his range again in etched brass.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tips chaps. I couldn't resist this one either having see this thread and the warm smell of MEK makes a change from the sharp tang of flux vapour :blink:

The Metal vents do look good. Thanks also Jon W for the steps tip.

The kit itself is excellent but I do agree with Coach about the flimsy brake gear. I might just try fabricating some parts from brass or reinforcing the existing plastic with some microstrip. I have not looked to see if alternative/suitable gear is available from (say) Comet or MJT.

Can I just say that the job is a h**l of a lot easier with pics available, so thanks Coach.

I'll be adding a bit of weight (can't afford the Miniature Horse Society prices and jockey fees) .

Mine will be in EM and based in Yorkshire/the North East. Good info in Tatlow Vol 3 ;)

Phil @ 36E.

The kit itself is excellent but I do agree with Coach about the flimsy brake gear. I might just try fabricating some parts from brass or reinforcing the existing plastic with some microstrip. I have not looked to see if alternative/suitable gear is available from (say) Comet or MJT.

Doesn't Bill Bedford do brake gear to match...just a thought.

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Larry,

Yet another lovely looking coach, Coach!

Very interesting to learn of the colours you use for interiors. Of great interest is your mention of the use of a (brown?) permanent marker pen. I've been wondering if such things are available for a completely different purpose - colouring check & wing rails on points and, perhaps, the rail head of lightly used sidings. My thinking is that a permanent marker might with stand up to rail cleaning better than paint and might even still allow electrical continuity (test needed before commitment!) so we can have trains run along "rusty" track. Yet another aspect where I will need to seek your knowledge!

Dave.

Archived