RMweb

Next batch of Class 70's

Good to hear the crews (is a single man still a crew ?) like them.................

Slightly OT - has anybody else noticed that the 66's seem to be getting nicely claggy these days too..................

Well only some of them do.... Bedford lad Dave Smith is 'something of an enthusiast' (that's putting it mildly) and likes a bit of thrash, but a lot of the others drivers I know who're on 70s can't abide the things! All of the Crewe lads I speak to detest them! Personally I like them, I'm not too keen on the look of the cab fronts but one of them passed me at Knighton Junction last night going like the clappers round the corner to Nuneaton, and standing about ten feet away it was mightily impressive both visually and aurally.

Most of our 66s are now at an age when the average BR mainline loco would have been put through Crewe, Swindon or Doncaster Works for main overhauls at least twice, in some cases even three times. Obviously they do have their own strict maintenance cycles to be adhered to, but there's only so much you can do with a man in a van.... I've had a few very rough and ragged ones of late and some of them have started making noises which are oddly reminiscant of BR Sulzer engined machines... a sort of a deep throb is the best way to describe it, plus there are assorted squeaks, rattles and vibrations which make you wonder what's going on a few feet behind you!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally had a change of loco on the West Thurrock cement.....

post-6712-0-14463700-1346694232_thumb.jpg

I wonder if this will now live on this working for a month! Didn't look like Mr Smith in the cab this time round. Like Nidge, I know from personal experience that he's more than fond of a good amount of thrash! I well remember him on the 47s doing the 317 drags....

• Like 4

Just a couple to wet the whistle............

70017 passing Chipping Sodbury with the 09:58 [4O51] FSX Wentloog - Southampton Maritime on 30/08/12

post-5198-0-08360500-1347054062_thumb.jpg

70001 between Pangbourne & Tilehurst with the 09:23 [4O49] MSX Crewe Basford Hall - Southampton Maritime today,

post-5198-0-26653200-1347053805_thumb.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Shipping forecast...

The SUDKAP, http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=304137000&header=true

currently heading west through the Mediterranean towards the straits of Gibraltar is en route to Newport from the port of Gebze in Turkey. It is understood to have 70099 on board and is due to dock at Newport on the 16th.

Anyone confirm that information.?

Bob

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

Shipping forecast...

The SUDKAP, http://www.marinetra...000&header=true

currently heading west through the Mediterranean towards the straits of Gibraltar is en route to Newport from the port of Gebze in Turkey. It is understood to have 70099 on board and is due to dock at Newport on the 16th.

Anyone confirm that information.?

Bob

I can confirm I've heard the same Bob, whether it's true I can't confirm.

Hi Guys,

See following email I was forwarded earlier today........

Bob.

MV SUDKAP, with 70099 on board, now showing on the ABP South Wales website as ETA Newport Docks at 15:00 on 16th October (tomorrow), so has slipped back a bit. Port of Origin was Diliskilesi.

Freightliner Heavy Haul reportedly contracted to drag the locomotive to Falcon Works at Loughborough, after a Fitness-To-Run certificate has been granted, plus other Customs formalities.

The move would be unlikely to happen prior to Wednesday of course

Warning ## Dumb Question ##

Please can someone point out to me the obvious(?) difference between 70001-70006 and the rest of the fleet. Ive tried comparing the two types and im obviously missing something that is no doubt staring me in the face. The reason I ask is that I want to renumber mine but there is something niggling at the back of my mind saying you can only do 1 to 6 with the current model.

I must confess to not reading through all 41 pages to see if the answer is there.... but please put me out of my misery...

Thanks as always

Scott

Edit- Just noticed the No Questions in brackets on the thread title! Ignore the above request I'll try and find the answer elsewhere.

Edited by pitbull1845

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple to wet the whistle............

70017 passing Chipping Sodbury with the 09:58 [4O51] FSX Wentloog - Southampton Maritime on 30/08/12

post-5198-0-08360500-1347054062_thumb.jpg

70001 between Pangbourne & Tilehurst with the 09:23 [4O49] MSX Crewe Basford Hall - Southampton Maritime today,

post-5198-0-26653200-1347053805_thumb.jpg

Crikey, really brings home to me how small our loading gauge is when i look at those containers behind the loco compared with all the American 'stackers' I play with!

• RMweb Premium

Warning ## Dumb Question ##

Please can someone point out to me the obvious(?) difference between 70001-70006 and the rest of the fleet.

Hi Scott,

The main obvious difference is the diagonal crease in the cabsides of 001-006, which has been filled in on 007 upwards. There are a couple of variations of warning stickers, but as you've got over 100 on a 70, they're easy to miss!

There is a post somewhere on RMW with comparison pics. If I find it, I'll post the link here.

EDIT: http://www.rmweb.co....es/#entry533550 and the reason for the difference is in the last post in that thread!

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. My 70010 was out and about having a run on New Bryford this weekend............

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if there are any detail differences with 70099? Pics please from anyone who can.........

And how long before the enthusisats nickname it "Turkish Delight"?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pics here:

http://www.wnxx.com/...71012/70099.htm

I like the hastily applied orange cantrail stripe.......

Cheers,

Mick

Hmm plain green - without the swirly yellow and grey - does look better IMO. Hardly a swan, but a less ugly duckling maybe...

The original Freightliner livery is, for me, one of the most attractive ever; the powerhaul version has swirls that don't suit the lines of any of their machines, and incorporates a sickly grey as a redundant third colour. From a design point of view, I must admit I really don't get the powerhaul livery at all.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2