Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Premium

So, now the curiosity is getting at me.......slowly but surely..........after working out that it doesnt 'actually' weigh 135tons after all...........

Can any of our FL friends please tell us, having seen pictures of this new cab design :

What is the left hand computer screen for ?

What is the right hand computer screen for ?

What are the levers in front of the Driving position for ? ( i.e.....Reverser, Auto-Brake, Straight Air Brake, Throttle ? )

You could generally work this out before but these Class 70's seem to be a whole, new breed of animal.......

Thats all for now,

Many Thanks,

Dave

I found the following image from an other web site ( and I have lost the details ). But I think but can't be sure that they display speed air pressures and other relevant information for the driver to be monitored, as for the leavers.

Going from left to right. it could be

• Loco Brake only
  • Train Brake
  • Power Controller with dynamic brake ( if fitted)
  • Forward and reverser lever.

From what I can see the AWS reset button is on the far left of the control desk, which is a bit of a pain if you are right handed, to which I would have thought that a high percentage of drivers are. :icon_frustrated:

post-6815-12584801622462_thumb.jpg

All above are only guess, and as I can not confirm if they are right. And yes they are growing on me as well. :icon_redface: :excl: :blush:

Terry.

These to me look like double ended Americana - which don't bother me as like the American style but i don't like the fact it is in Britain

Their original plan was for the Class 68.... very strange. I prefer 68 as well.... suits it more.

Been photoshopping recently, and come up with this, a DRS compass liveried 70 (70101)

The photo used, is copyright to Gareth Bayer ?© who has kindly given me permission to post this image

post-2850-12580228466411_thumb.jpg

Want a livery request? Just ask, and I shall see what I can do.

Dude could you do an EWS version and Then a DBS (DB schenker)

Cheers in advance (Pm for my email and can you email the DRS one )

Sam

Caught 70002 at Stoke Gifford today. It's definitely growing on me.

It's amazing how much better it looks in a nicer livery - I like both of these that I've done.

post-6899-12585849070327_thumb.jpg

post-6899-12585849259919_thumb.jpg

post-6899-12585849438591_thumb.jpg

I do like the 58 livery, with a bit of extra black round the front makes the black light clusters look a lot less alien.

cheers

jo

• Like 1

Theyre definatley growing on me, I like your 58 livery Jo, how about replacing the crash boxes with split headcode boxes :)

they remind me of a US loco (especially with that wide buldge on each engine side) with european cabs stuck on.

I quite like the skirting around the buffers,I wonder how long thatll last, going by history, they look nice when 2 are coupled together, very close.

chubby cheeks :)

Mike

Nice idea about trying a split headcode Mike - will have to give it a try. as you say, the body between the cabs is very much a scaled down US body design, just substitute the multitude of US warning labels with British HSE ones biggrin.gif Yeah I think the DB livery looks quite good Simon, though I doubt they'll get any, more likely looking to a European manufacturer if they do need more stock. Off to play some more with Photoshop later

cheers

jo

I really like those photoshopped liveries you're doing Jo, especially the red stripe and triple gery railfreight versions. It seems a class 70 looks vastly better in pretty much anything other than the messy new swirly version of Freightliner livery.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Jo,

Would you do the Cl.70 in two tone green with a small yellow warning panel and red bufferbeam please?

These livery examples illustrate how the curvy bits below the cabs just don't work on the prototype. It looks so much better without these.

Yep ! I agree with you on that one The grey is very fitting for the loco.

Terry

Been playing while watching tv tonight. Managed to do kill two birds with one stone with the green and headcode panels. It's amazing how even adding the old Freightliner logo to the new livery makes it look better!

post-6899-12588420635572_thumb.jpg

post-6899-12588420778503_thumb.jpg

post-6899-12588421000346_thumb.jpg

post-6899-1258842114794_thumb.jpg

Off now for an early night before an early start for Warley tomorrow

cheers

jo

Many thanks Jo.

I can't fathom out the reasoning behind all the "jazzy" liveries we see nowadays. No sense of quality in any of them, except that used by the late GNER.

The Cl.70, as someone remarked earlier, needs strong horizontal lines to complement the shape of the machine. Too many fussy curves just don't work.....

Many thanks Jo.

I can't fathom out the reasoning behind all the "jazzy" liveries we see nowadays. No sense of quality in any of them, except that used by the late GNER.

The Cl.70, as someone remarked earlier, needs strong horizontal lines to complement the shape of the machine. Too many fussy curves just don't work.....

Ah yes, but you can just bet the 'swirlies' were cooked up by some designer because it's 'dynamic' and 'flowing'.

Or some BS like that.

They look much nicer in all the other liveries IMHO.

No problem with the idea of them having a re-branding excercise......it happens BUT, why not design the NEW livery specifically to suit the NEW loco, as they very cleverly did with the Class 60 ?

Surely the guys who pay these livery designing twits their wages can see through their BS ?

It's just like the whole 'Its got opening cab doors and working lights so it must be good' argument all over again !!!!

As previously mentioned, there is simply no communication of 'quality' in liveries now except for the GNER and EWS of recent years......even with EWS they had a slogan to support their marketing, something about 'doubling railfreight in five years and having nothing left in ten'............if I remember correctly ?????????

Dave

p.s the new 70's look great in everything BUT 'Freightliner', as shown by the excellent photoshoppers on here !!!!!!!