Next batch of Class 70's

....p.s the new 70's look great in everything BUT 'Freightliner', as shown by the excellent photoshoppers on here !!!!!!!

Should that be... "everything BUT New Freightliner"...in which case I have to agree. icon_thumbsup2.gif

It could be worst....

http://www.thameslin...blackfriars.jpg

http://www.thameslin...9-in-livery.gif

http://wayne-radford.fotopic.net/p57026375.html

wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

• RMweb Premium

^^^

Actually pink cabs and Refreshers stripes on the class 70 might just improve the looks since there are no poncey "swoops" in that scheme.... B)

Can't get any uglier than that!

• RMweb Gold

As previously mentioned, there is simply no communication of 'quality' in liveries now except for the GNER and EWS of recent years......even with EWS they had a slogan to support their marketing, something about 'doubling railfreight in five years and having nothing left in ten'............if I remember correctly ?????????

the new 70's look great in everything BUT 'Freightliner', as shown by the excellent photoshoppers on here !!!!!!!

Whilst one can kind of understand the disappointment that some folk are expressing about the livery, isn't the introduction of a new class of locomotive a very positive expression of confidence in the future of rail freight in this country?

• RMweb Gold

Whilst one can kind of understand the disappointment that some folk are expressing about the livery, isn't the introduction of a new class of locomotive a very positive expression of confidence in the future of rail freight in this country?

Spot on Cap'n and as long as I can get a broadside view I'll be even happier as I still don't like the front end.

Nice to see investment in new locomotives - though whats the game these days - who can design the ugliest locomotive. ?

The thing is a joke, visually speaking. Looks like a Bulldog chewing a wasp !!

Yes a diesel loco IS a box on wheels. Sides have to have grilles, access dors etc, but the front ends, the cabs should have a bit of style about them. Very little extra expense involved. We have some very good looking modern stock. Pendolino's, & some of the latest DMU's have ultra modern design that is "swish". Our last decent looking diesel loco was the class 60, though thats a tad bland.

Would you buy a car that was so goddam ugly ?.

Ugly cars - (invariably Yank) -- Why not call them "Hummers" ? (The design stinks !!!).

Easy to model though - just run your Bachmann class 66 at full speed off the end of your layout onto a concrete floor, you need to do it twice - once in each direction !!.

Apollo

Edited by APOLLO

I don't think anyone decries the investment Freightliner are putting into their locomotive fleet. It's always exciting seeing a new class of loco for the first time. I well remember chasing after the first Cl.58s when they appeared some 25 years back. Goodness, is it really that long ago.....

But I do feel it's regrettable that more care wasn't put into the final appearance of these new Cl.70s. Doubtless there are very good technical reasons why the front looks the way it does. But as Jo's livery variations above show, the loco can be transformed into something more appealing to the eye, with just a few coats of paint applied in a scheme that is sympathetic to the form of the loco.

Is that asking too much?

But I do feel it's regrettable that more care wasn't put into the final appearance of these new Cl.70s. Doubtless there are very good technical reasons why the front looks the way it does. But as Jo's livery variations above show, the loco can be transformed into something more appealing to the eye, with just a few coats of paint applied in a scheme that is sympathetic to the form of the loco.

I think Jo's livery variations may be being too kind to the shape of the machine - they look better than the current livery but the original shot is from an angle which mostly hides the effect of the anti-climb boxes on the shape of the front end. I don't think they would make as much difference done on a shot taken from an uglier angle.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the clip, I'm not very impressed with the sound of it. It sounds just like a truck.

I have just reviewed the clip that has been mentioned, and it appears that the train in question is slowing down so the engine is not under-load, but I heard the distinctive sound of cooler fans running for the dynamic braking.

Yep they are growing on me.:blink: :blink: :blink: Begin to look a bit cool. B) B)

Terry.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the positive as mentioned by CK - it's designed for Freightliners needs not for our eye candy.

Managed to get my first shots of it on a gloomy Saturday morning (21 November 2009), prior to Warley, passing Water Orton as 0Z70, 09:04, Lawley Street - Leeds Midland Road (running 30 late) - off for a naming ceremony.

post-6662-12589736380663_thumb.jpg

post-6662-12589736598232_thumb.jpg

B)

Looking at the positive as mentioned by CK - it's designed for Freightliners needs not for our eye candy.

cool.gif

Indeed they are. I was wondering what sort of tonnage trains these are intended for? Will, with their 3,700 hp, they be the most powerfull locos to grace uk rails and thus be able to out tug a tug?

What is the heaviest load currently being moved by rail? I think the murco oil trains are 2,900 tones?

Joseph Merrick

Thats very funny.

I do like the nickname Orville for the class though!

• RMweb Gold

Indeed they are. I was wondering what sort of tonnage trains these are intended for? Will, with their 3,700 hp, they be the most powerfull locos to grace uk rails and thus be able to out tug a tug?

What is the heaviest load currently being moved by rail? I think the murco oil trains are 2,900 tones?

2,900 tonnes!! What a funny little train :P , we were up to nigh on 5,000 tonnes with Mendip stone trains in the early '90s (if not earlier), not to mention our little piece of entertainment ('for one night only folks') with 12,000 tonnes.

is it just me or does anyone else expect the sliding window to open and be offered a strawberry mivvy or a 99 ? it looks a bit like an ice cream van to me ...based on a sherpa

Chris

Funnily enough. I managed to get and see our local "Elephant" down at Stoke Gifford on Sunday morning - It does sound like an ice cream van (thing was on tickover). it looks a lot better in real life than in pictures (depending on angle) and is quite impressive and a brake from the norm. the front would have been better if it was flush (like a 67) but on the whole it's not bad!

looking forward to getting it on a tour now!!

Giles

The beast in action ...

Nice video but is that clicking noise coming from the loco, your camera shutter or some kind of demented beetle?

Has anyone managed to capture the class 70 on video yet where it isn't coasting or slowing down for a signal or such? ie does anyone have a video of it with the engine actually under load?

• Like 1

As new locos have to conform to regulations concerning their environmental impact, which includes noise emissions, are some people going to end up a little disappointed by the sound these make?

Apart from their advertised operational capabilities, I thought Freightliner bought these on the basis that they are supposed to be quieter, as well as using less fuel and producing fewer nasties out of their exhausts.