Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Im not sure if its a wind up or not but apparently,

Bachmann is going to be producing this loco in OO scale.

Regards

Mark

Been discussed several times, the mods have locked one or two duplicate threads - search works here too ;)

There's some interesting copy about these 'beauties' in:

http://www.railwayhe...UK/Issue203.pdf

Out today!

N

So only a total of 6 out 30 being delivered now.

Six more at the end of 2010; then due to the recession, no date has been planned for delivery of the remaining 18 !

Looks like they could be a rare sight in some parts?

OK - I'll do it - what are we going to nickname these things ???????

Why do they need to have a nickname? Why not just refer to them as 'class 70s.' I am sorry but I find this obsession to create often fake nicknames for everything to be more than a little irritating. <_<

I also think I must be in the minority in saying that who gives a monkeys what it looks like? The important things are inside- how much can it haul and stop, is it a comfortable workplace for the traincrew and can the maintenance crew get at the insides easily enough? For the people who will have to work on and with these locos looks will be the last concern on their mind. Priorities to them will be- can it brew tea and will it get them home in time to book off. Maybe I am looking at it from a railwayman's viewpoint rather than an enthusiast?

Let's just rejoice in some new traction, welcome the variety and be grateful that its wheels are flanged and not fitted with pneumatic tyres.

Now for a lie down!!! :P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why do they need to have a nickname? Why not just refer to them as 'class 70s.' I am sorry but I find this obsession to create often fake nicknames for everything to be more than a little irritating. <_<

Well said Natalie - the last of the 'modern' nicknames that meant anything at all to me on the inside of the fence (as I then was) was 'hoover' for the Class 50s.

As far as anything newer is concerned the Class number means something to me but most of the (no doubt carefully) dreamt-up nicknames do not, although some people seem to like them. The only sheds I know anything about are the two in my garden amd the only skips I understand are the ones I hire to fill with rubbish (garden & various) although I believe 'gronk' might have something to do with the '350 shunter' (like we called them before they were Class 08) but then many railwaymen refer to them as jockos in any case.

It doesn't brew tea. FL have forgotten to put a stove in.

Sacre blur, chief..... sounds like my battered enamel tea can will be forced into early retirement!!!

One of our team leaders was passed out on the class at Lawley Street last week and its been said that we'll be getting them on the heavy stone jobs out of Stud Farm Quarry very soon.... it'll be interesting to see how they tackle the (very steep) gradients on the Midland Mainline south of Leicester. The 66s we have now lack that extra 'oomph' we really need to keep time when we're battling it out with the 'all stations' Bed-Pan units wink.gif

Cheers,

Nidge

• RMweb Gold

I also think I must be in the minority in saying that who gives a monkeys what it looks like? The important things are inside- how much can it haul and stop, is it a comfortable workplace for the traincrew and can the maintenance crew get at the insides easily enough? For the people who will have to work on and with these locos looks will be the last concern on their mind. Priorities to them will be- can it brew tea and will it get them home in time to book off. Maybe I am looking at it from a railwayman's viewpoint rather than an enthusiast?

Let's just rejoice in some new traction, welcome the variety and be grateful that its wheels are flanged and not fitted with pneumatic tyres

Well-said, Natalie! From a railwayman's view point, the question is less about appearance and more about functionality, although most of my colleagues agree that they are ugly brutes...

We are interested to see how they perform in traffic, and hope that they won't sit down on the Lickey, in the event that FLHH decide to run unassisted trains that way... :O ;)

As regards nicknames, in my corner of the industry, nicknames for people are common, hardware does get called names, but not necessarily polite ones!

I'm planning a trip out on Friday and was wondering if any of you wonderful people know if 70002 is still hanging out in the Bristol area? I feel the urge to hunt it down like the Yeti....

Cheers

scott

Well today it came through Shrewsbury at about 1245, I guess on the same working as in the video above (although I don't actually know where Portbury is!blush.gif ). This is the first time I've seen it (it's usually a 66, and I don't think I've missed seeing the working any day this week, but now that I think about it I may have missed yesterday's). No guarantee it will be on the same working tomorrow of course.

Thanks for the reply, I have just looked at a web site and the Parkway timetable has been updated with it being shown on the 6M55 Stoke Gifford-Rugeley p.s working. so its definately worth a trip out. Leaves Stoke Gifford at 07:43.

Cheers

Scott

Let's just rejoice in some new traction, welcome the variety and be grateful that its wheels are flanged and not fitted with pneumatic tyres.

Now for a lie down!!! :P

Fully Agree with that! Locos are heavy machinery on wheels that needs to meet certain operating requirements.

Anyway, I think they look great. Most interesting thing to appear on the UK scene since the Class 92s IMHO,

David Parkins

So we'll just call them Fugglies then? as in Frieghtliner Uglies, or the 'alternative' meaning ;)

Portbury to Rugley, so thats Bristol to Cannock, which way does it pass B'ham? I might make it out that way later/tommorow to try and catch one.

• RMweb Premium

Dam and blast it. :icon_frustrated: :icon_frustrated: :icon_frustrated: :icon_frustrated: I did have my camera with me as I have just see one heading to the port of Felixstowe. It looked good :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:, but I was in a car at the time.

Terry

Must be ready next time it comes round.

• RMweb Premium

Dam and blast it. icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif I did have my camera with me as I have just see one heading to the port of Felixstowe. It looked good icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif, but I was in a car at the time.

Terry

Must be ready next time it comes round.

Past Rugby this morning around 11 ish heading for Felixstowe on a fully loaded liner, comes back this evening around midnight aparently....And as for nicknames i call them PLUGS!!

Cheers then, Anthony

Past Rugby this morning around 11 ish heading for Felixstowe on a fully loaded liner, comes back this evening around midnight aparently....And as for nicknames i call them PLUGS!!

Cheers then, Anthony

They are quite growing on me to be honest and i think they look quite good on a Liner!

Below is a link to a photo taken by a good friend of mine and i think it suits the train its pulling.

70001 working 4L93 at Cathiron

Mark

• RMweb Premium

They are quite growing on me to be honest and i think they look quite good on a Liner!

Below is a link to a photo taken by a good friend of mine and i think it suits the train its pulling.

70001 working 4L93 at Cathiron

Mark

Thats the baby, did see it from a distance as we were pulling out the depot!!! Missed it by seconds, i know Cathiron very well and that is an awsum shot cool.gif