Next batch of Class 70's

70006 was tucked inside L97 (Basford Hall - Felixstowe) through Tamworth @ 09:27 this morning.

I wondered what loco that was when I caught a glimpse of the freightliner at Marks Tey as I drove on the A12 this afternoon. Was it a 66 on the front? I only noticed the train as I was passing in the opposite direction. The class 70 coupled inside was unmistakeable.;)

I wondered what loco that was when I caught a glimpse of the freightliner at Marks Tey as I drove on the A12 this afternoon. Was it a 66 on the front? I only noticed the train as I was passing in the opposite direction. The class 70 coupled inside was unmistakeable.wink.gif

Yes mate it was 66594.

Seems a bit weird to think about this but with climate change and the sudden swing towards electrification are we looking at the last new diesel locos/ trains ever for the UK?

I doubt it as there will always be parts of the network that carry freight trains, but with not enough traffic to justify electrifying them.

If DBS decide to order a replacement for the Tugs, rather than re-build them or do without; I suppose there's always the possibilty of another type being introduced, such as a slimmed down European gauge loco, GM's new replacement for the Shed or a Chinese cheapy.

On the Green note....

You may not be aware that GE, GM and others are now busy working on Hybrid power for the next generation of "self-powered" locos.

Seems a bit weird to think about this but with climate change and the sudden swing towards electrification are we looking at the last new diesel locos/ trains ever for the UK?

Well, it's possible we've already seen the last orders of DMUs, as I understand that the latest EU emissions rules make new underfloor engines pretty uneconomical. But I think it's likely that as we come out of the recession and the 66s start to wear out, and with the 60s withdrawn, we'll see at least one more freight diesel order from DB, probably from one of the European manufacturers.

Paul

I'm interested as to why you think loco's would come from a european manufacturer Burkitt. Apart from the 67's being built in Spain with GM bits and the romanian 56's have any locos ever been built and designed by a european manufacturer? I still think that the 70 may be the last ever new diesel, (but maybe we'll see another batch for DRS or someone,) after all which bank will put up the money for an oil burner with a 30 year life when oil reserves are due to run out in its life time in addition to the PR problem of emissions during climate change. Who knows what financial penalties future governments will impose on emissions?

I'm interested as to why you think loco's would come from a european manufacturer Burkitt.

Mainly because I think DB is more likely to order from one of their usual European suppliers than from a US company. I also think that if they wanted some form of hybrid 25kV AC / diesel loco to take advantage of electrification, the European companies would be more likely to be able to produce such a thing, as they have more experience of electric locos.

All this is pure speculation though, so it could be total nonsense.

Paul

Apart from the 67's being built in Spain with GM bits and the romanian 56's have any locos ever been built and designed by a european manufacturer?

Do you mean "...have any locos for the UK ever been built and designed by a european manufacturer?" ?

There's a very strong loco building industry in mainland Europe of course.

I doubt it as there will always be parts of the network that carry freight trains, but with not enough traffic to justify electrifying them.
....I still think that the 70 may be the last ever new diesel...

....after all which bank will put up the money for an oil burner with a 30 year life when oil reserves are due to run out in its life time in addition to the PR problem of emissions during climate change. Who knows what financial penalties future governments will impose on emissions?

There's an assumption here that "Diesel" powerplants will remain the same as they have been and that the alternative is to switch to electric, but this ignores various changes that are happenning or could be done to improve the emissions and fuel consumption of "Self powered" traction.

As an example, the new class 70, like many new types being built or planned, has been designed to be more fuel efficient and as a result is supposed to produce less nasties out of its exhaust. But that's just the beginning.

There's a lot of work being done by the manufacturers to find ways of making much bigger reductions in CO2, not only from straight diesel but from "Diesel Hybrid" and other "Self-Powered" trains/locos.

This is not a UK-only issue and as pointed out, putting up wires all over is not only impractical on some parts of the UK network, it is very unlikely that it will ever happen on large parts of the planets railways.

Self-Power is here to stay (well...until everything goes "t**s-up") even if the UK become predominantly electric for powering its railways.

....You may not be aware that GE, GM and others are now busy working on Hybrid power for the next generation of "self-powered" locos.
......I also think that if they wanted some form of hybrid 25kV AC / diesel loco to take advantage of electrification, the European companies would be more likely to be able to produce such a thing, as they have more experience of electric locos.....
I bet Siemens and Traxx are working on a UK variant as we speak....

Diesel-Hybrid (Diesel + Batteries + re-generative brakes etc) is one area actively being developed at the moment for diesel locos, but I suppose it's possible to look at Bi-Mode power using Diesel-Hybrid and Electric if it can be squeezed into a reasonably sized package.

The Hitachi SET's due to be ordered for the Inter-City Express Programme (IEP) can be configured in such a Bi-Mode for mixed electricified and non-electrified routes, but it requires two power-supply vehicles and distributed traction. Stuffing that all into a necessarily heavy freight loco may be a bit of a challenge.

(some clever s*d will probably mention the class 73 after this...rolleyes.gif )

Well, it's possible we've already seen the last orders of DMUs, as I understand that the latest EU emissions rules make new underfloor engines pretty uneconomical......

For the same reasons I gave above, there will still always be a need for "Self-Powered" trains and that includes passenger MU's, whether powered by diesel or alternative means.

New rules and market forces (fuel prices) will require that significant change is now required in the way that these are built and powered.

In yesterdays "Times" newspaper there was a series of articles covering these sort of issues and rail was specifically discussed in a couple of those.

As an example of what is being looked at....

Seimens' new Desiro City - 25% lighter than the current Desiro fleet. The diesel version (these are produced for European and worldwide markets too) would also employ technology to reduce fuel consumption and emissions by a significant amount.

Other developments that may be utilised in new "Self-Powered" trains include.... exhaust heat energy recovery and more efficient turbo-charging, diesel hybrid engines, alternative fuels such as future 2nd and 3rd gen Bio-fuels, Fuel-Cell power, automatic Stop-Start engine control, computer assisted engine/driving management linked to timetable and signalling control, lighter construction and interior fitments (e.g. using composite materials) and more energy efficient on-board systems and services.

Even with the large benefits of switching to electric power, some of these developments will be of benefit to EMU's too.

There's an assumption here that "Diesel" powerplants will remain the same as they have been and that the alternative is to switch to electric, but this ignores various changes that are happenning or could be done to improve the emissions and fuel consumption of "Self powered" traction.

That s why I said initially the last DIESEL loco/train. Hydrogen fuel cells/hybrid-electric/battery locos, something like that will take over pretty soon I'd think. Atomic powered trains anyone?

Anyone think that in 40 years when the last diesel runs (wonder if 66's or 70's will last that long) there'll be the same nostalgia as in 1968 when the last steam train ran?

That s why I said initially the last DIESEL loco/train. Hydrogen fuel cells/hybrid-electric/battery locos, something like that will take over pretty soon I'd think. Atomic powered trains anyone?

Anyone think that in 40 years when the last diesel runs (wonder if 66's or 70's will last that long) there'll be the same nostalgia as in 1968 when the last steam train ran?

There was plenty of nostalgia when the last Wizzo's and Deltic's ran, let alone the last diesel loco's. ;)

• RMweb Premium

gronk the shunter, on 17 December 2009 - 15:42 , said: Atomic powered trains anyone?"

I hope that never happens as for it would be a great target for terrorist.

As for the diesel powered locos, there is not a infinite supply of oil to keep the locos running as for electric traction, is electricity a sustainable source of energy. I fear it might not be.

Terry.

Think the nickname "betty" is a bit erm Rubbish to be polite. You have the most powerful loco in the UK yet it has a very girly name. it would be like nicknaming a US Aircraft Carrier "Chi-Chi" and everytime someone mentions "Betty" I just think of Frank Spensor!

It's not an ideal nickname for a loco: if it wer human it would punch you in the face, steal your girlfriend, your car then marry your mother - Not sit knitting in a nursing home.

I do recall howmany nicknames were bandied around when the 67's first appeared some rather elaborate before everyone settled to call them "skips"

Anyway found this on t'web earlier and think that the 70's may have had the headlights manufactured in Sandbach!

http://estb.msn.com/i/27/CAEEBAB1E2B0E03654C22B8EE6BD41.jpg

Seasons Greetings,

Giles

Bettys...Fuglys...Predators...whatever we call them, they sound mean. Just like a TIE fighter, with some added chugging. Far better than the whining from a 66 working hard. Maybe Twin Ion technology is the answer for future traction laugh.gif

Here's 70003 passing Hall End with 4Z70 Rugeley - Stoke Gifford coal empties about 25 to one this lunchtime. Man it was cold out

post-6899-12611534781907_thumb.jpg

cheers

jo

Eleven pages so far and I've still not laid my eyes on one yet biggrin.gif !! Had our Inspector who is passed out on them ride with me on a job on Thursday, he seemed very impressed with their capabilities and told me more about their internals and the gizmos fitted in the cab. It appears they can operate in mult with 66s, the 'start up / prep / disposal' procedure is much simpler than a 66, and they can be pre-programmed for frost precautions to start up on their own which is handy.

Nidge wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...