Next batch of Class 70's

I only noticed the other day while I was waiting next to one and looking at details to potentially add to a model, but the holes for the factory handrails were never filled in and are still visible on the solebar of the 70s

Jo

• Like 1

I was talking to a driver from Freightliner at Peterborough recently and it would seem that FL are prepared to dispose of their Class 70's to Colas because they have not delivered the economics promised and ongoing issues with the turbo's when worked hard.  I believe Colas's Class 70's aren't worked as hard as Freightliner's and therefore should last longer but there still is the current issue of exploding turbo's.

There are a lot of rumours flying round at the moment. But there isn’t a lot else about and the 70s that are still running about seem to be largely ok. There has been more problems with the 66 availability of late. I would say don’t write them off with Freightliner just yet. 70002 has just returned from a long spell in store after 70019 was stopped with a problem so it appears that they need a certain number in traffic, added to that if you hand them back to the leasing company you need to have something ready to go in its place.the fact that Gbrf have been evaluating them says to me that there probably isn’t much about that will cope with the ever increasing loads demanded of the freight sector

• RMweb Gold

Just a ‘heads up’ that according to the latest issue of Railways Illustrated, a Colas 70 should lead the diesel portion of The Scarborough Spa Express from Carnforth to York and return on 7th June. Times aren’t yet in the schedule.

piccies of it in one piece in the factory in Erie are on Flickr, used as a test bed with safety rails attached https://flic.kr/p/DxDwhm

Thanks for the piccie link Jim.

Surprised GE haven't splashed a little paint over the FL branding and maybe slapped a few GE stickers on it.

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Gold

After the recent use of solo and double-headed Colas 56s on the Lindsey Oil Refinery - Preston Docks (6M32/6E32) bitumen tanks, interspersed with the more usual class 60 traction, a class 70 put in an appearance on 16th May 2018.

post-414-0-49166700-1526471391.jpg

70805 passing through Brighouse with 6E32, 08.55 Colas Ribble Rail to Lindsey Oil Refinery.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 11

Here is a photo from today when a Colas class 70 finally dropped back on the 6M32 Lindsey to Preston loaded tanks with 70805 doing the honours photographed at Lostock Hall station in the Preston area.  On past experience it will probably be back to a 60 tomorrow but hoping for the 70 again.

post-25512-0-81618600-1526501944_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Interesting shape of the signal post there.

Was done to allow the signal head to be seen from

The required distance negating the need to reroute the troughing and keeping a good distance from the ballast shoulder.

• RMweb Gold

I understand that only 9 are currently in service:

70002, 003, 006, 007, 008

70011, 014, 015, 020

...with Freightliner.

Yes I heard that. I don’t know if it’s a paper exercise to make the availability figures look better if they are awaiting parts or something more sinister. To be honest we need the locos the 66s have been poor lately. 66567 had a crankcase pressure failure which resulted in the dipstick shooting out along with a lot of oil. So I guess that is a reasonably big job.