Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that's one of the odd reporting codes which turns up from time to time on Open Train Times.

Geoff Endacott

It's not a reporting code its a masked id, used by some companies to hide the real code, the only bit which is valid is the first digit, the train type (6 in this case) - RealTime Trains displays them as well. GBRF codes are correct as their drivers use RTT so they are not masked, unfortunately there are a lot of people who quote RTT codes as if they are the train head code - which they aren't,

• RMweb Premium

6C36 - no such headcode as 654L

It's not a reporting code its a masked id, used by some companies to hide the real code, the only bit which is valid is the first digit, the train type (6 in this case) - RealTime Trains displays them as well. GBRF codes are correct as their drivers use RTT so they are not masked, unfortunately there are a lot of people who quote RTT codes as if they are the train head code - which they aren't,

Unfortunately for those of us who’s only source of train info when we go out to appreciate trains is real time trains then quoting something I think is better than nothing. I quote the codes as a reference to the train only. I have never claimed they are headcodes.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately for those of us who’s only source of train info when we go out to appreciate trains is real time trains then quoting something I think is better than nothing. I quote the codes as a reference to the train only. I have never claimed they are headcodes.

There are other sites available but not free. I pay for my information as can anyone.

It's not just you, railway photographers on lots of sites are quoting RTT codes - or masked ids - as head codes, and they are nothing but a sequential number. You'd be better off quoting "on the 08:00, Moorswater - Aberthaw", this information will be historically relevant, the masked id won't be - but it's your choice.

Nice photos/video anyway.

• RMweb Premium

There are other sites available but not free. I pay for my information as can anyone.

It's not just you, railway photographers on lots of sites are quoting RTT codes - or masked ids - as head codes, and they are nothing but a sequential number. You'd be better off quoting "on the 08:00, Moorswater - Aberthaw", this information will be historically relevant, the masked id won't be - but it's your choice.

Nice photos/video anyway.

With rtt if they show a code in the normal format ie 6c36 is that going to be accurate or could that be masked also.

• Like 1

A bit like the A-Z where they put in deliberate mistakes?

Doubt it, but I do wonder how accurate RTT is at times. Just two examples from last week:

i) Was on a train that ran fast from Waterloo to Norbiton, but RTT says it called at Wimbledon (which it didn't)

ii) Was on a Thameslink service from Sutton to St Pancras that RTT said was cancelled - yet I was on it with other passengers.... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It will only ever be as reliable and as accurate as the Network Rail data feeds allow. I would guess that it’s not always as ‘Real Time’ as its title suggests.

I stopped relying on it for platform departure data for example sometime ago after almost getting caught out at London Euston !

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned in post #2080 above, Colas provide a class 70 for part of the journey of West Coast Railway Company's 'Scarborough Spa Express' on 7th June.

70811, with 47804, approaching Heaton Lodge East Junction with 1Z25, 0507 Dumfries to Scarborough.

post-414-0-14218500-1528364867.jpg

Edited by 4630
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

1Z25 Jorvik & Scarborough Spa Express.  Here is Colas Rails 70811 approaching Lostock Hall station in the Preston area with the 1Z25 Dumfries to Scarborough with West Coast Railway Company 47804 tucked behind for the ride.

attachicon.gifIMG_7134 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7138 (2).JPG

I believe the 47 is there as a "coupling adapter" (and ETS power) as I think that 70s are not permitted to couple up to stock with a corridor end.

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

It will only ever be as reliable and as accurate as the Network Rail data feeds allow. I would guess that it’s not always as ‘Real Time’ as its title suggests.

I stopped relying on it for platform departure data for example sometime ago after almost getting caught out at London Euston !

Signal maps are far more useful for departures.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Clever positioning of the headboard, right across the headlight!

And yes as newbryford says 70s can’t couple to traditional coaching stock with corridor ends because off the anti climb feature on the cab ends

Clever positioning of the headboard, right across the headlight!

And yes as newbryford says 70s can’t couple to traditional coaching stock with corridor ends because off the anti climb feature on the cab ends

Thus yet one more reason those contraptions are not fit for purpose.

Good riddance.

My spine would agree.

The yard job at my depot is pretty grim (you work your bollox off) but at least you get on 66/86/90s and given the low speeds on site even a GE Contraption isn't likely to your spinal cord.

With Dvr head on, I can't fault class 66s.

With crank head on I can't abide them but even I would be happy to sing their praises because

they're ultra reliable.

Hope Colas get them all soon Jim.

Or anyone.

Anyone but us lol

Still wondering who it was that signed the things off....

Edited by E3109
  • Like 1

With driver head on I can’t wait to retire to get off the 66s been driving them 19 years now and they don’t get any better, the noise the rattle from the windows and the vibration setting all the fixings in the cab loose,the leaking windscreens soaking my bag, the hot air blasting in the windows number 2 end cab the draft by your left knee,the floor covering that absorbs muck,the indifferent air conditioning the internal doors that fly open the external doors that rattle and vibrate so much that they have had to be patch welded up. The head level air vent on the wrong side of the cab. The ride is not as bad as a 70 however it’s about time for some better seats. But the reliability is not what it was it’s not much better than the Freightliner class 47s were once we had a captive fleet of locos we could look after.

• RMweb Premium

THIS IS A VIDEO TAKEN OF THE LATE RUNNING 0800 MOORSWATER TO ABERTTHAW COLAS WORKING FROM THIS MORNING. THE VIDEO WAS TAKEN FROM THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE EMABNKMENT TO THE RAIL LINE

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

ALSO I'M NOT SURE WHICH 70 IT IS BUT THERE IS A COLAS 70 IN THE SHED AT TAVISTOCK JUNCTION YARD TODAY. IT HAD ITS CAB POKING OUT OF THE BACK END OF THE SHED. IT WASNT POSSIBLE TO GET A PICTURE

Still bugs me that certain concerns could've had class 87s for just £70k apiece, allegedly at least.

The price tag on the god-awful contraption that got dropped would've paid for the lot of them.

Meanwhile, the Bulgarians can't believe how lucky they were...

Glad I'm out of this industry shortly. At least for a couple of years. Like everything else, the moment this government tries to micromanage things it goes to Shiite.

Those who excel at incompetence get promoted out of harm's way.

Those that just get on with the job to the best of their invariably end up being beasted via Form Ones, Please Explains and so on.

Can I just add, this hasn't happened to me yet but it has happened to decent railwaymen who have forgotten more than I will ever know.

• RMweb Gold

With my driver head on too I like the 70s, ours are fairly comfortable but he one thing I’ve always said is put an air driven seat in them and they would be spot on, it take one over a 66 anyday power and traction wise but would rather have a 60 over a 70 anyday

I instruct on them, in fact I instructed the drivers on today’s Scarborough spa express and find them easy to work with and like to think I know them inside out

• Like 7

Fair play Jim, each to his own.

Can't comprehend how you prefer one of those things to a 66 but we all have our preferences I suppose.

Incidentally, do you find them ok for shunting?

I don't.

Notch 1 is gutless, and Notch 2 is too much.

Guessing the Septics don't, and never will, understand Our Railway (GM possibly excepted).

Edited by E3109

• RMweb Gold

Agree with the notch 1-2 thing, it’s all or nothing!

Do you ever use plug mode in them for slow speed downhill working, it’s pretty impressive

For those who don’t know plug mode is down hill slow speed control, it’s a bit weird to use as you have to put the direction lever into reverse while going forward to activate it, if going normally up hill with slow speed on the loco will adjust the power to keep you to the speed you have set it to upto 10mph, going downhill in ‘plug mode’ it operates the dynamic brake instead using engine braking to keep you to the speed you have set, I used to in a work site from Huyton to St. Helens last year and never had to touch the power controller once between the 2 places, 5mph all the way for 7 miles using slow speed up Hill and plug mode down hill

• Like 2

I'd just like to add, that drivers from other companies who wave at night when passing, if it's a class 70 coming the other way don't be offended if we don't reciprocate because the 70 cab has about as much in common with ergonomics as Paul Gadd has with child welfare.

In other words. The cab light switch is out of reach.

I still try mind...

• Like 1

Agree with the notch 1-2 thing, it’s all or nothing!

Do you ever use plug mode in them for slow speed downhill working, it’s pretty impressive

For those who don’t know plug mode is down hill slow speed control, it’s a bit weird to use as you have to put the direction lever into reverse while going forward to activate it, if going normally up hill with slow speed on the loco will adjust the power to keep you to the speed you have set it to upto 10mph, going downhill in ‘plug mode’ it operates the dynamic brake instead using engine braking to keep you to the speed you have set, I used to in a work site from Huyton to St. Helens last year and never had to touch the power controller once between the 2 places, 5mph all the way for 7 miles using slow speed up Hill and plug mode down hill

That's news to me bud, and cheers for the info!

It was only recently that we discovered putting the reverser in FWD would cause the thing to start.... Can't recall that being in any of the manuals!

• Like 1