Next batch of Class 70's

Thanks Mick. Can't wait to see it haul a biomass. Hopefully the trials will be a success and the 70 performs. If successful it will be interesting to see what GBRF do. Would they buy their own 70s or are freightliner willing to part with theirs as half the fleet are parked up doing nothing at Midland road.

• RMweb Gold

GBRf's trialling of Colas 70814 continues with the 70 having now moved to Tyne Dock.

70814 at Brotherton on 22nd March working 4N61, 12.00 Drax AES (GBRf) to Tyne Dock Coal Terminal (GBRf) empty biomass hoppers.

post-414-0-83121500-1521728224.jpg

• Like 9

Various rumours abound. Loss of competence in the maintenance teams. Loss of work so more slack in the class 66fleet. General malaise of FL towards the class and their reliability on long distance, high speed high utilisation diagrams. Lack / cost of parts. Imminent end of lease (I think that was debunked recently).

What the corporate truth is, who knows?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After reading an article in Trains mag. It would seem that Genesee and Wyoming prefer EMD (Caterpillar)loco's to those made by GE.

Good theory.

Georgia Central before G&W days had GEs, now they've all been replaced by GM/EMD traction.

• RMweb Premium

Various rumours abound. Loss of competence in the maintenance teams. Loss of work so more slack in the class 66fleet. General malaise of FL towards the class and their reliability on long distance, high speed high utilisation diagrams. Lack / cost of parts. Imminent end of lease (I think that was debunked recently).

What the corporate truth is, who knows?

Talking to a Colas fitter recently who carries out maintenance on the Colas 70's, he tells me that there are very serious build quality issues with them. Makes you wonder what the FL ones are like.

One particular loco was stopped at Westbury recently for a total of 7 weeks because it had a computer fault that not even G.E fitters could rectify. One system stopped "talking" to other systems rendering the loco a 130 ton paper weight. In the end it rectified itself and started working again but 7 weeks is an awful long time to have a 2.5 million quid machine out of trafic because it refuses to work properly! 

• RMweb Gold

Stuff like that isn’t filtered down to us on the ground who actually drive em!

To be honest I’ve only ever had 2 major failures and both of them were early on on the original batch of locos and involved the compressor both times, the most annoying thing is despite the on board technology on them I can’t actually see on the computer in real time any problems, I have to report an issue to control who contact GE in America, they in turn ‘download’ the loco via the on board router and email control back the problem who in turn tell me, ok it only takes a few mins but it’s frustrating when I could see it on screen in seconds!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colas 70805 passing through Woodlesford on the outskirts of Leeds on 26th April shortly after setting off with 4V49, 11.00 Leeds Stourton RMC to Briton Ferry Yard.

post-414-0-83912900-1524755168.jpg

• Like 10

Colas 70805 passing through Woodlesford on the outskirts of Leeds on 26th April shortly after setting off with 4V49, 11.00 Leeds Stourton RMC to Briton Ferry Yard.

70805 4V49 Woodlesford 26042018 - RMweb.jpg

Nice photo. Is the sun in a decent position at Woodlesford station as I have though about driving over one Thursday morning for this working?

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice photo. Is the sun in a decent position at Woodlesford station as I have though about driving over one Thursday morning for this working?

Cheers

The station is oriented NW-SE, so trains coming from Leeds get the sun on the front and left during the morning. If you’ve had a look at Google maps you’ll notice that the platforms are staggered. Worth bearing in mind depending what and when you’re photographing. Todays photo, as you may have worked out, was taken from the station foot bridge.

The station is partly in a tree lined cutting so it can be a bit gloomy if there’s just grey cloud cover.

Finding a parking space at the station can be an issue during weekdays, although it’s free if you’re lucky enough to find a space. Local roads are also likely to be ‘parked up’. Again worth bearing in mind if you’re planning for a specific arrival time.

As an alternative, you could try photographing it a few miles further along at Oakenshaw near Wakefield. Take a look at my photograph of todays 6E32 on the ‘Photos of 56s’ thread to give you an idea.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Would be good to see a 70 airborne lol

I hear they don’t react to well when gravity has its way though.

Who mentioned green and yellow bananas.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

70012 was repaired and is being used as the plant switcher at Erie, PA.  It's not being allowed back into the UK and onto the mainline as it was inspected by insurers and though mostly repaired, the damage to the frame couldn't to be fully eradicated and therefore banned from Network Rail.

I was talking to a driver from Freightliner at Peterborough recently and it would seem that FL are prepared to dispose of their Class 70's to Colas because they have not delivered the economics promised and ongoing issues with the turbo's when worked hard.  I believe Colas's Class 70's aren't worked as hard as Freightliner's and therefore should last longer but there still is the current issue of exploding turbo's.