Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

How about Kadee's between coaches, you can mount them to couple quite close and there's little slack when pushing/pulling.

Your layout is fantastic by the way and some of the best model photo's I've seen, in fact it's sometimes hard to tell it is a model.

Regards,

Tom

It's a possibility, Tom. I've so far aboided Kadees, mainly because of the cost of converting all my stock. On certain rakes, it might well be an idea though.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

Hi Dave, superb work here. You've inspired me to think about modelling a real location - I've never been brave enough before. Something with Deltics, I reckon. I'm researching Darlington. Let's see how I get on! Thanks for the fine modelling, Tony

Hi Dave, superb work here. You've inspired me to think about modelling a real location - I've never been brave enough before. Something with Deltics, I reckon. I'm researching Darlington. Let's see how I get on! Thanks for the fine modelling, Tony

Go for it, Tony! Modelling a real location just makes a layout so much more... well ... real. I think it helps to bring models to life. Much of my modelling is aimed at rekindling memories of the Edinburgh area in the 80s, with a little modelling licence thrown in sometimes for good measure and a bit of fun; it is just a hobby, after all. 

In some ways, modelling a real location is easier, as you don't have to "make it up". You know what's there, you just have to model it and fit it in somehow, which obviously involves compromises, but the memory often misses things out anyway, so I don't think it's essential to model everything to true scale to really get the feel and atmosphere of a place. I always liken it to a road which you know well. If you follow it in your mind, I bet you'll miss out quite a few bits. Well, I do anyway!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

Thanks for the encouragement, Dave. I see what you mean about the real. I spent some time on google earth, and found a number of features to include on a model.

As for memories, I was going back over the hundred odd pages of this thread. Your pictures of 37012 Loch Rannoch took me back to 1983 when I first visited the west highland line. We came up overnight on S19 from Bristol, to Glasgow, and that was on the 6am to Mallaig, paired with 37037, both in the same white stripe livery. Fantastic! Thanks for that.

Anyhoo, I shall have to go investigate starting my own thread for my new layout.

Cheers, Tony

• Like 2

Looks familiar :D

attachicon.giflooking-back-at-class-26-27-locomotives-low-stocks-24-p.jpg

Multiple likes as ever David.

Thanks. That overhead crane was painted yellow a short while later, honest!

It was a shame I had to miss out one of the two roads in that shot. If I had included it, I wouldn't have been able to reach the countryside section of the layout though. Something had to give. That shed is just a single road on WW.

• Like 1

Now settling into service on WW and becoming a reliable performer, 47550 gets into her stride...

post-7247-0-09743600-1487334937_thumb.jpg

Looking at that photo now, I'm not 100% convinced that nameplate is straight. Might have to give it a tweak. Down half a gnat's whisker on the right, perhaps?

Cheers

Dave

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Now settling into service on WW and becoming a reliable performer, 47550 gets into her stride...

attachicon.gif47550 at speed 1 Closeup.jpg

Looking at that photo now, I'm not 100% convinced that nameplate is straight. Might have to give it a tweak. Down half a gnat's whisker on the right, perhaps?

Cheers

Dave

I think Dundee is a little North of Edinburgh...

• Like 1

In other news, D200 has now been through the works. I've fitted new pickups to all wheels except the pony trucks. It ran like a dream during test-running afterwards, with no derailments either which is always a bit of a concern when fitting extra pickups, so the effort was very worthwhile by the looks of things. I also found that one of the bogies was a bit stiff when pivoting, so that may well have been a contributory factor in its derailments. So smiles all round for D200.

Trouble is, Railfreight 26025 is now on the naughty step, having decided to derail every time it goes under the station roof, the most inaccessible part of the layout of course. I've identified the problem (the bogie sides clashing with fittings on the body on sharper curves) and it's now in the works for appraisal.

Here is D200 on road 5 at Haymarket MPD ready for release back into traffic...

post-7247-0-76833600-1487335249_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-00923700-1487335256_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 19

47550 passes Haymarket MPD...

attachicon.gif47550 1 BW.jpg

attachicon.gif47550 2 BW.jpg

and in colour...

attachicon.gif47550 1.jpg

attachicon.gif47550 2.jpg

What makes this shot work is the amount of foreground track visible giving depth to the traction and so much convincing in B&W as we all were accustomed to monochromatic images in the Ian Allan days.

Brilliant.

Ian

It's a possibility, Tom. I've so far aboided Kadees, mainly because of the cost of converting all my stock. On certain rakes, it might well be an idea though.

Dave I use Kadees on all of my stuff having stomached the cost some time back - on the most part I am a convert.  However for use between Bachmann coaches I am less convinced.  I recently started experimenting with Hornby's "Roco style" couplings and so far I think this is the best solution I've found.  They are a smidgen short for Bach Mk1s to couple them on the flat - requires making the coaches up into rakes by slightly raising the ends of the 2 coaches to couple and aligning couplings - bit of a faff. But once connected it pulls the coaches together hard to one another and the rake behaves rigidly with no slack that you get with either tension locks of Kadees.  Any they still seem to be able to handle Radius 3 curves plus my complex fiddleyard pointwork in forward at least (I suspect reversing may be a different matter).  The behaviour is more akin to using Bachmann's "pipe couplings" between coaches but without the faff for uncoupling - they just lift off and uncouple easily.  And they are pretty inexpensive too.  If you run don't shunt your coaches on the layout these could be worth a try?

M

In other news, D200 has now been through the works. I've fitted new pickups to all wheels except the pony trucks. It ran like a dream during test-running afterwards, with no derailments either which is always a bit of a concern when fitting extra pickups, so the effort was very worthwhile by the looks of things. I also found that one of the bogies was a bit stiff when pivoting, so that may well have been a contributory factor in its derailments. So smiles all round for D200.

Trouble is, Railfreight 26025 is now on the naughty step, having decided to derail every time it goes under the station roof, the most inaccessible part of the layout of course. I've identified the problem (the bogie sides clashing with fittings on the body on sharper curves) and it's now in the works for appraisal.

Here is D200 on road 5 at Haymarket MPD ready for release back into traffic...

attachicon.gifD200 1.jpg

attachicon.gifD200 2.jpg

I once had problems with Railfreights 26's big sister, a Blue 27, it always came of at a certain point, in the end I found that by unclipping the bogies from the wheels and swapping the front for the back it worked.  I assume I had removed them previously to clean the wheels or something and I had not put them back on the original bogie they were removed from.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

As one of the 253 people who voted for you, congratulations on a very creditable third place in layout of the year. Beating luminaries like Gilbert Barnatt and Tone Wright along the way. Couldn't be more deserved. Thanks for the entertainment and long may you prosper

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120238-british-model-railway-awards-2016-results-and-winners/

Hi Dave,

As one of the 253 people who voted for you, congratulations on a very creditable third place in layout of the year. Beating luminaries like Gilbert Barnatt and Tone Wright along the way. Couldn't be more deserved. Thanks for the entertainment and long may you prosper

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120238-british-model-railway-awards-2016-results-and-winners/

Thanks Colin, that's very kind. I was very pleased to finish 3rd, as you say above people like Tony and Gilbert and many other great layouts. A huge thank you to everyone who voted for me. I hope you've had as much fun reading these pages as I've had building WW and writing about it and interacting with you all on here and elsewhere. Fifteen years after starting the layout, I have far more ideas of things to do than I did when I first started and the hobby has moved on so much over the years too, so I'm planning on sticking around with WW for a long time to come hopefully.

Lime Street is a fantastic piece of railway modelling/model engineering, and Pete Goss's Knaresborough has to be one of my all-time favourite layouts and I could just drool over it for hours even without any passing trains, so it was fantastic to be tucked up behind them.

Hope to be back soon with an update or two. I was at Glasgow MRS at the weekend and had a great time catching up with people and helping out operating on SDEG's Harley Road layout, the first time I've ever operated an O gauge layout. I'd be fibbing if I said I didn't have visions of an O gauge Waverley West/Haymarket while I was operating, but I'd need a huge lottery win to do it and as I don't do the lottery, that seems a bit on the unlikely side. I'm more than happy to stick with 00, whatever its imperfections.

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers

Dave

PS Can I just say that there will be no witch-hunt of people who openly didn't vote for me, people like Stewart (45156) for example. In fact, I won't even mention Stewart's name or his RMWeb name (45156). No, I wouldn't dream of naming and shaming Stewart (45156) just because he didn't vote for me. That would be unfair on Stewart (45156), so I won't do it. (Sorry Stewart, I couldn't resist it   :jester:   :jester:   :jester:).

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Colin, that's very kind. I was very pleased to finish 3rd, as you say above people like Tony and Gilbert and many other great layouts. A huge thank you to everyone who voted for me. I hope you've had as much fun reading these pages as I've had building WW and writing about it and interacting with you all on here and elsewhere. Fifteen years after starting the layout, I have far more ideas of things to do than I did when I first started and the hobby has moved on so much over the years too, so I'm planning on sticking around with WW for a long time to come hopefully.

Lime Street is a fantastic piece of railway modelling/model engineering, and Pete Goss's Knaresborough has to be one of my all-time favourite layouts and I could just drool over it for hours even without any passing trains, so it was fantastic to be tucked up behind them.

Hope to be back soon with an update or two. I was at Glasgow MRS at the weekend and had a great time catching up with people and helping out operating on SDEG's Harley Road layout, the first time I've ever operated an O gauge layout. I'd be fibbing if I said I didn't have visions of an O gauge Waverley West/Haymarket while I was operating, but I'd need a huge lottery win to do it and as I don't do the lottery, that seems a bit on the unlikely side. I'm more than happy to stick with 00, whatever its imperfections.

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers

Dave

PS Can I just say that there will be no witch-hunt of people who openly didn't vote for me, people like Stewart (45156) for example. In fact, I won't even mention Stewart's name or his RMWeb name (45156). No, I wouldn't dream of naming and shaming Stewart (45156) just because he didn't vote for me. That would be unfair on Stewart (45156), so I won't do it.

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I didn't quite catch the last bit - would you mind repeating it please?  :angel:

• RMweb Gold

I didn't quite catch the last bit - would you mind repeating it please? :angel:

I think it was something to do with one of those black 5 locos from the Lame and Mechanically Suspect, 45136. Not quite sure what he meant......

Edited by colin penfold