Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi folks, 

A whistlestop post to show off the latest loco to emerge from the WW works - 24081 in fairly workaday condition as per '79...

post-7247-0-41861100-1488802907_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-11683700-1488802984_thumb.jpg

There are a few final checks to do before it's actually released from the works (hose connector colours, for example) and maybe a little exhaust darkening, but otherwise it's pretty much finished.

Hope to be back soon with some more updates, as I was busy over an unusually free weekend finishing off the Mk 2s and working away on two new additions - 47001 and 47550 (if I don't change my mind and make it 47510 that is).

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 14

Guest eddie reffin

You won't be disappointed with the resin tank/speaker combo for the 27. Its fantastic! 

Those pics are some of the most realistic ones I have seen in a long time, superb stuff. takes me back to my youth. The 27s have a special place in my heart, as a 12year old, I managed a cab ride between Dalmally and Tyndrum on my way to Model Rail Scotland back in the Maclellan Galleries days. 

Fast forward 31years and I currently drive the modern replacements  (158/170) but would love a shot of the 27 at the Strathspey! 

Inspirational stuff Dave

Cheers

• Like 3

You won't be disappointed with the resin tank/speaker combo for the 27. Its fantastic! 

Those pics are some of the most realistic ones I have seen in a long time, superb stuff. takes me back to my youth. The 27s have a special place in my heart, as a 12year old, I managed a cab ride between Dalmally and Tyndrum on my way to Model Rail Scotland back in the Maclellan Galleries days. 

Fast forward 31years and I currently drive the modern replacements  (158/170) but would love a shot of the 27 at the Strathspey! 

Inspirational stuff Dave

Cheers

Thanks Eddie. It brings a big smile to my face when people say that WW brings back memories for them too. That's the whole point for me really. 

A cab ride in a 27 from Dalmally to Tyndrum? Jealous... me??  I only had a couple of cab rides on the mainline during my spotting career, one in 55007 from Retford to Doncaster and one in an HST from Plymouth to Exeter along the Dawlish sea wall. Both such happy memories with really friendly drivers. Both the Deltic and I were heading for York, but I had to get back on the train as there was an inspector getting on at Doncaster and he wouldn't have approved. I also had a cab ride during a shunting move in 55016 around Haymarket depot once, must have been around 1980. Happy days!

I guess things like that don't happen anymore, unless officially approved?

Thanks again,

Dave

• Like 1

Just thought I'd post a few more shots of 24081...

post-7247-0-72874800-1488836341_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-25049600-1488836356_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-41803100-1488836467_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-75857700-1488836498_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-20763800-1488836738_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-90442400-1488836742_thumb.jpg

It is a bit early for WW really, but I have no regrets about getting one, especially given the sound it produces.

In other news, the Mk 2a's are almost finished. I've resprayed the roofs of some Mk 2a's I did earlier, as I was pleased with the new roofs, which included an experimental "tatty" roof. More on that later. 

I'm still debating whether to go for 47555 or 47510 with my latest Bachmann BR Blue 47. 

Both locos were favourites during my spotting days, and 47555 always seemed to follow me everywhere I went (being a Crewe loco I guess). Meanwhile 47510 was also a favourite and I remember seeing it often on the Western Region when it was an Old Oak Common loco. I guess 47555 would have visited Waverley more often than 47510, if it ever went there before it became 47713. I have a photo of 47510 heading north out of York on an express and I've seen Western Region locos on Scottish services often enough, so it's a reasonable assumption that 47510 made it to Waverley. I've cabbed them both and had haulage behind them both, so which to go for? The debate continues. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.  :jester:

Either way, it looks like being an unusually ex-works loco for WW for a change, as I think I'm going for a smart turnout with white tyres. 

Cheers for now,

Dave

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 13

Hi Dave,

Super job on the class 24. I was so tempted to get one myself.

47510 used to follow me around, I forget how many times I saw it working through Sway on inter regional's to and from Poole. A quick look on Flickr shows pics of 510 at Glasgow and Dundee. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave,

Super job on the class 24. I was so tempted to get one myself.

47510 used to follow me around, I forget how many times I saw it working through Sway on inter regional's to and from Poole. A quick look on Flickr shows pics of 510 at Glasgow and Dundee. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. That's really useful info about 510 making it to Glasgow and Dundee. I did think it was very likely that it roamed, as all the 47/4s did. I've seen a photo of 47613 North Star on an Edinburgh - Dundee service running through Princes St Gardens when it was an Old Oak Common loco, so they really did get about, even on "local" services. It's funny how some locos always seemed to follow you round, isn't it? It was 47510, 47444 and 47555 for me more than any others, I think. I think I may be in line for Bachmann's forthcoming 47444 when it's released.

Anyway, I think I've made up my mind. I've decided to have both 510 and 555, in a roundabout sort of a way. :scratchhead: :scratchhead: I've always had a Heljan 47 numbered as 47510, but the plan was to gradually phase out my Heljan 47s and replace them with Bachmann 47s. As 510 has always been a bit of a favourite loco (both model and real), I've decided to keep it and do the new Bachmann one as 47555. Simples. The Heljan 510 has the domino headcode too, which is how I remember it.

I have a batch of Large Logo 47s to do at some point. What's the betting I end up keeping 546 and 644 rather than selling them too? So much for the plan to sell off my Heljan 47s to fund the Bachy ones.  :scratchhead: Still, in my defence, I've been selling more than I've been buying recently. Well, alright then, I've been selling about as much as I've been buying recently.  :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

No worries Dave,

The pic of 510 at Glasgow showed it with black headcode box. It's funny that although 510 used to follow me around I don't seem to have any pics of it. 47444 was another loco that I used to see a lot of, 33018 was another one.

Why not keep the Heljan 47s they are not that bad are they?  I must admit I don't have any myself but yours look fine.

Cheers Peter.

No worries Dave,

The pic of 510 at Glasgow showed it with black headcode box. It's funny that although 510 used to follow me around I don't seem to have any pics of it. 47444 was another loco that I used to see a lot of, 33018 was another one.

Why not keep the Heljan 47s they are not that bad are they?  I must admit I don't have any myself but yours look fine.

Cheers Peter.

I must admit I am leaning towards keeping my Heljan 47s. I've always liked them and they're reliable performers generally with good haulage ability. The only major issue with them really is their width and the Bachmann version does win there. The Heljan's floating centre axle makes them much less prone to derailment though I find. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just thought I'd post a few more shots of 24081...

attachicon.gif24081 4.jpg

Dave,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... stop posting pictures of the real thing, you make it so unfair for the rest of us!!! :)

Nice work on the loco, and the photography - I presume thats on a photo plank outside?

Rich

• Like 1

Dave,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... stop posting pictures of the real thing, you make it so unfair for the rest of us!!! :)

Nice work on the loco, and the photography - I presume thats on a photo plank outside?

Rich

Thanks Rich! The loco was actually taken on a removable bridge from the layout which doubles as a photo plank. I think I need to make a separate photo plank though, as repeatedly removing the bridge from the layout is not ideal.

Cheers

Dave

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a quick pic or two of one of the latest Mk 2a's to roll off the WW production line. These have undergone the usual WW treatment:

- respraying of the underframe and roof and dusting with weathering powders

- painting of the interiors, renumbering including new Inter-City/ScotRail logos

- all finished off with a dirty wash, especially along the door seams.

- window destination stickers, corridor connections and passengers have also been fitted. 

I've also been experimenting with "tatty roofs" on some of the coaches with very satisfactory results. This involves spraying the coach roofs with a base coat (Railmatch Roof Dirt), followed by painting strips of Maskol to represent patches where the roof is peeling. This is then finished off with several coats of top coat (Railmatch Weathered Black). The Maskol is then rubbed off and hey presto, you should end up with something that looks like a peeling roof.

I've tried it before but I wasn't very pleased with the results, as it looked very flat. This time I applied several top coats to build up the coat thickness and the results are much more pleasing I think.

If you have better eyesight than me, you'll be able to see that this particular coach is heading for Aberdeen...

post-7247-0-14483100-1488975173_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-92941500-1488976262_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 8

My records indicate I photographed 47 510 at Montrose on 4th May 1983 when it was working the 11:25 Glasgow Queen Street - Aberdeen, on 14th April 1984 at Banbury and on 3rd May 1984 at Chester.  Unfortunately my slides are in storage so I am unable to provide scans at the moment.

I also have a record that 47 510 appears on page 6 of Modern Railways Pictorial No 7, working a train through Ayton on 30th May 1980.  Unfortunately, I am unable to locate my copy so cannot provide any further details.  However, doubtless someone on here will have a copy.  If it's a passenger train, then 47 510 made it to Waverley....   ....unless it broke down between Ayton and Waverley.

Hope this is of some use!

Fantastic, thanks a million! 

The only answer is to have a 510 and a 555.

That was precisely the conclusion I came to too!

• RMweb Gold

Given that was moving Dave you did very well to capture so many pictures!!! Just how many photographers were stood in that field!!

Good job tho, also like the Maskol idea with the Mk2 bodies. Very nice outcome.

• Like 1

Given that was moving Dave you did very well to capture so many pictures!!! Just how many photographers were stood in that field!!

Fortunately, it stopped at a signal for a few minutes, so I was able to get a few shots of it.  :jester:

• Like 2