Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

Superb tips for coach painting and detailing, I've tried a battered roof on an ex virgin Brake but my results were flat that looks fantastic with the depth on yours. It's the destination papers in the door windows that just bring them to life.

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Superb tips for coach painting and detailing, I've tried a battered roof on an ex virgin Brake but my results were flat that looks fantastic with the depth on yours. It's the destination papers in the door windows that just bring them to life.

Mark

Cheers Mark. I was very pleased with the results this time around. My results were flat last time too. The secret I think is to apply 3 or 4 good coats at least. I used Railmatch aerosols which provide a good covering too.

Hi Dave,

I found a pic of 47001 I took back in the day. It's actually working a local Speedlink just outside Southampton.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. My version of 47001 is not going to look too different from that, I hope. Dirty roof and fairly clean sides.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi folks

Nipped down to Waverley earlier this afternoon to see what was about. I managed to spy 47546 as it came in on a service from Aberdeen...

attachicon.gif47546 4.jpg

attachicon.gif47546 2a.jpg

attachicon.gif47546 3.jpg

attachicon.gif47546 5.jpg

attachicon.gif47546 6.jpg

I then wandered over to Princes Street Gardens, where I saw 24081 come in with an inspection saloon...

attachicon.gif24081 1.jpg

Thanks to a signal check, I managed to race around and see it come into Waverley...

attachicon.gif24081 4.jpg

attachicon.gif24081 2.jpg

24081 has been rostered on the inspection saloon recently and is getting far more than its fair share of play time at the moment.

The evening was only spoiled by the failure of 27052, with its recently upgraded sound chip and speaker. The problem was traced to a slipping carden shaft on one bogie, meaning that it was only pulling on the other bogie, which wasn't even enough to haul the 4-coach Fife service it was pulling. This is the Achilles' heal of Heljan diesels in my experience. Not fatal, as it can be fixed by a spot of superglue, but it does mean a body removal. A trip to the works beckons.

In other news, here is a quick shot of a Shark brake van which has just been weathered, ready for tagging onto the end of my rake of Seacows.

attachicon.gifShark.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Ahem - what happened to the no modern DMUs policy, looks suspiciously like a class 170 in the background

Jim

• Like 1

Ahem - what happened to the no modern DMUs policy, looks suspiciously like a class 170 in the background

Jim

Er, yes, well, erm.... it's worse than that, Jim. You see, well, I have a confession to make. Some of you may remember me mentioning me slimming down my modern stock, which I am, honest. But I had a weak moment you see, and, well, somehow I ended up with one of these...

post-7247-0-34287800-1489353382_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-01255800-1489353400_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-78687000-1489353387_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-69905700-1489353403_thumb.jpg

I saw the prototype passing through Princes Street Gardens, and well, once I saw how good the Dapol model was, I just couldn't resist it. Back to the therapy sessions again. :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

post-7247-0-67853000-1489353526_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 11

Er, yes, well, erm.... it's worse than that, Jim. You see, well, I have a confession to make. Some of you may remember me mentioning me slimming down my modern stock, which I am, honest. But I had a weak moment you see, and, well, somehow I ended up with one of these...

attachicon.gif68007 4a.jpg

attachicon.gif68007 7.jpg

attachicon.gif68007 1.jpg

attachicon.gif68007 9.jpg

I saw the prototype passing through Princes Street Gardens, and well, once I saw how good the Dapol model was, I just couldn't resist it. Back to the therapy sessions again. :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

attachicon.gif68007 2.jpg

Best stay indoors Dave, a bolt of lightning from the heavens is sure to strike you dead for such a grievous sin!

Looks good though, although what's holding me back in buying one is the conviction that I "don't do modern stuff". Aside from some 80's guilty pleasures my world is firmly stuck to that of sulphur, paraffin and brasso!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That photo plank with the Cumbrian background really does look the business - great stuff Dave :). Very envious of having scenery like that around you!  Do like the 68s as locos tho, don't beat a 37 by any stretch, but compared with a 66 or 67 they are nice, and a good sound as well!  Right, off to sit in a darkened room for an hour or two now!

Resistance was futile.  :laugh:

Cheers

Marcus 

OOOh thin ice there Marcus .. you'll be getting 'Cease and Desist' copyright notices from the green team :)

Rich

• Like 2

I generally find it difficult to get excited about UK modern image equipment but, when my late father was in hospital in Kirkcaldy, I used the Fife Circle to visit him on several occasions.  These locos are fast and powerful.  One particular evening we left Kirkcaldy and, even though I was sitting in the rear coach, I could still feel the snatch as we accelerated away.  We literally had to sit for several minutes at each of the following stations waiting for departure time to arrive.  Very impressive performers.

My own view of the modern railway scene is that there is interesting stuff out there today, but that it's spread far and wide now, whereas it used to be interesting wherever and whenever you went (except maybe a fair proportion of EMU land, aka. the Southern Region  :jester: ).

I was impressed by the 68s when I saw them in Edinburgh and the Dapol model proved just too much to resist. It's going to be a desk exhibit for the time-being though. Sound will hopefully follow at some point, so that it can run on the layout.

Edited by Waverley West

Hi again folks,

I just thought I'd post a couple of pics of a project I'm working on at the moment which may interest anyone with Heljan 47s. As you may know, the harsh reality of parting with some of my Heljan 47s to raise funds for other purchases proved too much and these are now set to be retained. So I'm going to set about improving them instead. They run very smoothly and I've already made most of the obvious changes to improve their appearance (etched roof grilles, replacement handrails, driver plus the usual WW weathering, etc.), so I'm focusing my attention on the sound instead.

Most of my Heljan 47s were fitted with sound many years ago with ESU v3.5 chips from SWD. Sound has moved on a lot since then of course and my favourite 47 chip at the moment is the Howes version, which has a lot of playability and sounds the part too I think. The legoman version and the latest SWD version have yet to totally convince me for some reason.

Anyway, I've decided to upgrade the sound chips on these locos, but that won't be enough on its own because they're currently only fitted with two (or even just one) round 20mm speakers inside the body. I got to thinking about a stock of Coastal DCC Class 26/27 fuel tank speakers I have ready for my planned upgrade to that fleet. I decided to see if they would fit on the Heljan 47. I found that with a bit of fettling of the fixing lugs, they fit very nicely and snugly onto the bottom of the chassis. The original Heljan fuel tanks then fit very snugly over the top of the speaker unit. Other versions of the fuel tanks (without the water tanks) may not fit quite so unobtrusively, but I still think they would work.

Here are a couple of pictures of the state of play at present, one showing the speaker in place and one showing the primed fuel tanks fitted over the top...

post-7247-0-77060400-1489828383_thumb.jpg 

post-7247-0-88889700-1489828471_thumb.jpg

Edit: I should have mentioned that some trimming of the top of the fuel tanks is needed to make the speaker fit, but a knife with a sharp blade makes short work of that...

post-7247-0-40196200-1489832427_thumb.jpg

I will probably be drilling more holes for the sound to escape, but I wanted to experiment with a baffle over the top of the speaker to see if it would reduce the change in sound that happens when my fuel tank speaker-fitted 27 passes over points.

I'm also planning on replacing the wheelsets with new ones from Howes when they eventually get some back in stock.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Love the lighting on those Class 24 pics Dave, very original.

Im never ceased to be amazed at the standard of your modelling - and that its pure OO ... to me (I'm not a critic or a expert!) it is far more finescale than normal OO, and I always look forward to the next installment!

Also I shall be interested to hear how your sound experiments with the 47s work out, although I'm 7mm in practice, its always interesting to hear (no pun intended!) the different experiences and how people mount/install the speakers.

Rich

• Like 1

Hi folks, 

As the sun is shining this afternoon, I thought I'd take a few quick shots of one of the new tatty-roofed Mk 2a's to be released onto WW...

post-7247-0-34696800-1490012015_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-05575300-1490012041_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-27950700-1490012233_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-34309100-1490012083_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-54528700-1490013378_thumb.jpg

The next time I try a tatty roof or two, I think I might look for more contrast between the two roof colours, as I've seen a few examples of what almost look like rail grey and weathered black combinations.

In other news, 47001 has been released from works and is now in service as a workaday duff. Pics to follow very soon I hope. 47555 is very close to release too as an ex works loco, a rarity on WW. It's currently having ETH fitted. Work on 47510 is also continuing. 

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 12

Love the lighting on those Class 24 pics Dave, very original.

Im never ceased to be amazed at the standard of your modelling - and that its pure OO ... to me (I'm not a critic or a expert!) it is far more finescale than normal OO, and I always look forward to the next installment!

Also I shall be interested to hear how your sound experiments with the 47s work out, although I'm 7mm in practice, its always interesting to hear (no pun intended!) the different experiences and how people mount/install the speakers.

Rich

Thanks Rich. Much appreciated. Will let you know how I get on with the sound. I'm a bit concerned I'm going to end up with the same changes in engine sound as it passes over points as I get with my fuel tank-fitted 27. 

Cheers

Dave

Re posts in another topic.

Please continue posting your photos and updates here when you can.

They are a joy and inspiration.

Thanks BoD. I fully intend to.

Edit: Nothing I said that on the realism thread applies to this thread in any way shape or form. We're all just one happy gang on here as far as I'm concerned.  :sungum:  :sungum:

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 4

Dave, the lady in pink seated in your Mk2 sure am a buxom wench, and no mistake.

Now that you mention it, Stewart, she is, isn't she?

I can introduce you to her if you like. She doesn't talk much, but maybe that would be an advantage.