Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Promises to be a little smasher , but can we

1) Have a better arrangement for headcode alpha numerics than supplied for the class 22

2) Better, slightly more richer, satin finishes to the paint-like the one Bachmann uses on its brunswick green steamers

3) A more realistic shade of BR blue

4) Body lower by 1mm or 2mm as per Andys comments.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Photo by Chris Hatton showing original battery box clips used before Western Talisman's derailment which caused them to be changed:

420799_3210586749549_1412647822_33221724_1781072336_n.jpg

Note rubber surrounds on valance cut-outs (which probably fell off within 5 miles of Swindon Works) and frosted centre bodyside window (on this side only).

In later years the left-hand lamp bracket (as you look at the end) had a visible steel plate welded to the rear and above so that a standard (i.e. back-mounted instead of GWR side-mounted) lamp could be attached.

The vertical access panel below the RH bodyside grille group only appears on one side of the loco (at B end) and was a later addition to allow access to the small air compressor.

Similarly, the right-hand grille in the RH grille group is shown as hinged on your drawings, but this too was a later modification and they were fixed (the same as the others) originally.

Edited by TonyW590
  • Like 4

Photo by Chris Hatton showing original battery box clips used before Western Talisman's derailment which caused them to be changed:

420799_3210586749549_1412647822_33221724_1781072336_n.jpg

Note rubber surrounds on valance cut-outs (which probably fell off within 5 miles of Swindon Works) and frosted centre bodyside window (on this side only).

In later years the left-hand lamp bracket (as you look at the end) had a visible steel plate welded to the rear and above so that a standard (i.e. back-mounted instead of GWR side-mounted) lamp could be attached.

The vertical access panel below the RH bodyside grille group only appears on one side of the loco (at B end) and was a later addition to allow access to the small air compressor.

Similarly, the right-hand grille in the RH grille group is shown as hinged on your drawings, but this too was a later modification and they were fixed (the same as the others) originally.

The modifications to the RH grill group seem to have been a modification implemented during the manufacturing phase. There is a photo of two examples being shunted at Crewe in the Bradford Barton book on Westerns, both semi complete, one with the hinged grill and the other without. The Dapol cadds files as they are currently defined allow the class to be modelled correctly for the majority of their working life in most of the liveries carried. Incidentally Western Enterprise has lots of detail differences, particularly in the centre valence.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

l have been following the progress of the Whizzo with great interest and have to say it looks very close indeed now. l work on one of the magnificent seven and could'nt help noticing that on your recent CAD photos that the ledge beneath the front windows has lost the gradual slope from the centre point as is also apparent on the handrail.

Your earlier CAD seems to include this but it now appears flat ! Whether this is true or not l am unsure l know the 52s give a sort of optical illusion at times from different angles which is why it is so hard to get right l think.

I'm going to check this out on the real macoy this Sunday, but from painting it l don't think the yellow ledge is horizontal.

here is a photo.

post-14520-0-60059200-1328517022_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Should the handrail follow the vee shape too? (upwards aswell a outwards..)

Yes, the handrails should be parallel with the top of the nose, forming a point in the middle as well as following the profile. As with everything on the Western,it is subtle, but it is there!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Edited by Mark
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

sorry its a rough and ready cad/cam snatch, but this should show the 'slope' eathier side of the centre section of the lip.

Its there ok, but doesnt seem to show on the overall cad/cam unless you zoom in.

hope ths helps.

cheers

Dave

Another great CAD drawing Dave. When can we expect to see deliveries in the UK? Thanks again, this is looking pretty superb!

Hi Neal from the cross channel ferry on my way back to Germany.

I am hoping Monday or Tuesday I should be posting the "finished" cad/cam for what I hope is your mutual approval.

Please keep an eye on this thread as changes after we start tooling are next to impossible, and certainly expensive.

If everyone is ok then by the end of the week tooling will commence on this model.

Tooling takes a month to 6 weeks, then I get first shots for test fit approval etc. once I'm happy it then takes a further month to add the detail and finish the tool.

Painting will take place on spare first shot bodies and I will order the nameplates from shawplan accordingly at this time.

I'd hope that finishes samples would go to the magazines about 2-3 weeks later while the consignment is shipped.

So I think probably end of May for models in the shop.

Meanwhile I'll start designing the chassis for the N gauge version with a view to a Warley release.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 11

Meanwhile I'll start designing the chassis for the N gauge version with a view to a Warley release.

Woohoo! :yahoo:

Definitely look forward to Warley then. I think it is very sensible to use the 00 version as the prototype for the true masterpiece. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Painting will take place on spare first shot bodies and I will order the nameplates from shawplan accordingly at this time.

Great news on timing, thanks Dave.

Can you update us all on your plans for the numbers and names, and whether they will be pre-printed on the bodyshells please? You will recall that there has been considerable discussion about this, in particular the desire for short names, so for those of us who want to model a different Western, an etched plate can completely cover the original. Your original (I think) SYP maroon proposal of D1029 Western Legionnaire - for example - is both long and has the "which spelling to use" issue as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is excellant news, I am very much looking forward to the N version. If previous Dapol releases are anything to go by they are superb performers and pretty straightforward to convert to 2FS.

Can I ask though Dave, will the blue used be sorted out. I have one of the superb 121s and feel the blue is far too green. Likewise, I had a look at one of the equaly good 4mm class 22's the other day and felt, if anything the blue was even further wide of the mark.

Jerry

I am hoping Monday or Tuesday I should be posting the "finished" cad/cam for what I hope is your mutual approval.

Please keep an eye on this thread as changes after we start tooling are next to impossible, and certainly expensive.

If everyone is ok then by the end of the week tooling will commence on this model.

Hello, Dave.

A huge thank you for your sedulous attention to detail in this project; I consider its progeny to have many fathers within the RMWeb community - you know who you are...

If I may ask one question about the detail, please: Will you be representing the ticket clips under the cab windows on the Crewe-built machines?

And may I, too, appeal for any printed nameplate and numberplate to be not just fractionally smaller than the commercially available etched offerings, but also easy to remove. This would afford anyone wishing to represent 1036 (plates higher than the rest of the class, of course) the confidence that they should not have to touch-up any paintwork.

Dapol's 'Western' - no, our 'Western' - could turn out to be the best RTR diesel model ever.

Thanks again to you, Dave, and to all the RMWeb contributors.

Kind regards,

BR(W).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neal .......

Tooling takes a month to 6 weeks, ................

So I think probably end of May for models in the shop........

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Dave

Excellent news thank you Dave.

Hello, Dave.

A huge thank you for your sedulous attention to detail in this project; I consider its progeny to have many fathers within the RMWeb community - you know who you are...

If I may ask one question about the detail, please: Will you be representing the ticket clips under the cab windows on the Crewe-built machines?

And may I, too, appeal for any printed nameplate and numberplate to be not just fractionally smaller than the commercially available etched offerings, but also easy to remove. This would afford anyone wishing to represent 1036 (plates higher than the rest of the class, of course) the confidence that they should not have to touch-up any paintwork.

Dapol's 'Western' - no, our 'Western' - could turn out to be the best RTR diesel model ever.

Thanks again to you, Dave, and to all the RMWeb contributors.

Kind regards,

BR(W).

That's an interesting point about the clips under the cab side windows originally intended for cards with driver & second man name cards on Crewe built 52s, another point is the overhead live wire flashes on the cab fronts which were all in the same position on Crewe builds, but Swindon's were all over the place. Not meaning to be picky but the model looks so great it would be a shame to miss out final details, especially for those of us who won't be messing around with our models.

Will it also have removable brake pipes etc. So pre and post dual braked locos can be modelled ?

Well done for all the hard work ! it's the one we've been waiting for for all these years,

All the best,

Mike.

That's an interesting point about the clips under the cab side windows originally intended for cards with driver & second man name cards on Crewe built 52s, another point is the overhead live wire flashes on the cab fronts which were all in the same position on Crewe builds, but Swindon's were all over the place. Not meaning to be picky but the model looks so great it would be a shame to miss out final details, especially for those of us who won't be messing around with our models.

Given the effort they put into getting details (including livery) right on the class 22s, I think they will probably do alright with the Westerns. After all, RMWeb gives access to a big pool of volunteer researchers, plenty of whom have an interest in seeing that new releases are as accurate as possible.

• Like 1

post-14520-0-14005400-1329068534_thumb.jpgHello Dave,

here is a shot of her Ladyship taken today, as a reference point , re. my last post.

The windows slope from the centre point following the slope of the ledge, the ledge seems to have

a very, very, slightly steeper angle than the window frame( only about 1 or 2 degrees )but leaving a greater gap between the ledge and the aluminium window frame where it curves at the far right point compared with where it starts at the centre. If that make sense ! What do you think ?

Best regards,

Mike.