Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

I thought it might be useful if I gave a quick summary of some of the challenges I faced fitting a Loksound 3.5 - 8 pin sound decoder to the STEAM special edition, and also adding a driver to the cab.    I already had a class 52 sound decoder in one of my Heljan Westerns - so bought a 21 to 8 pin converter to fit this sound decoder in the Dapol Western.  It looked like a simple job, with ample room for the speaker.  Then when I tried to refit the body - it would not fit (gap between body and chassis).  After playing around for an hour or so (and getting increasingly frustrated) I realised that the combined "height" of the 21 pin converter and the 8 pin decoder plug on the sound decoder - meant that one of the body fans was pressing down on the 8 pin decoder plug - and basically the body would not fit.  So after a bit of filing of the solder joints on the 21 pin converter - I found I could fit the ensemble - by tilting the 21 pin converter  - thus reducing the vertical height enough to get the body back on.  By tilting - what I mean is the 21 pin converter is plugged into the 21 pin decoder socket on the chassis - but then tilted from the horizontal.  I'll try and post a photo if anyone is interested in seeing what I've done.  It all seems to work O.K - although I can't get the cab lights to work.  Not sure if this is a decoder function problem or a problem with the Western.   I also had to resolder the black wire to the 8 pin plug - which broke when I was trying to refit the body.

The driver was a bit more straight forward, but I managed to break one of the fibre optics on the lighting unit - when takng out the cab interior.  They are very delicate - luckily I had some spare fibre optic cable (same diameter) - which I simply inserted (from the outside) in the light socket on the body.  All works O.K - even though the fibre optic for this one light is effectively now two pieces. 

Of course doing all this meant that I managed to displace and lose 4 of the lifting hooks on the cab roof, and also managed to "round" one of the screws used to secure the body. (easily fixed by carefully cutting a new slot into the screw head  - so I can use a flat screw driver).  Hopefully Dapol will have spares in due course

A great model - now needs to be run in, and  I now need to go and lie down.      

• Like 2

hi

just a few pictures of D1000 on shed at laira shed! well my model of laira shed! i spoke to the chap at swindon today an he was very very helpful he is going to ring me back tomorrow with details on how to get it repaired! he offered me a full refund or chance for repair! they have no more D1000 availeble so it will have to go to dcc supplies to be fixed!

regards neil

post-15503-0-06602700-1361822782_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-70010700-1361822799_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-32117000-1361822841_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-33089600-1361822873_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-20573800-1361822889_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

After all the issues that have been raised on this thread it's great to hear some positive comment in recent posts.

I collected my D1000 from Swindon today and I have to say it's absolutely AMAZING! I am just sitting here, looking at it, and smiling ear to ear. Exceeding every expectation I had, it also works perfectly (not that I have tried to take it apart yet).

So, Dave, a huge feather in your cap, and also a tremendous vote of thanks to everyone on rmweb who contributed to making this model what it is.

Adrian

• Like 8

Mine's in the post, which usually means Royal Fail's industrial mincing machines. Anyway, looks like I'll need to order correct sized Precision Labels train reporting numbers. 1A70 one end, 1J19 the other, and a lot of creative licence for it to accidentally escape onto the Cambrian. (Cough)

RWJ

nice colour shot of D1000 at Birmingham snow hill. again on the Birkenhead-Paddington, which always confused me as I thought it meant the Western ran to Birkenhead.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1321.htm

A good description of the Birkenhead service accompanying this picture. 

It says that the Western would either be taken off at Wolverhampton or, in the 1960s, it would stable at Chester to await the return working.  That's not to say they didn't get to Birkenhead though.

3169776945_be17f94e23_z.jpg

D1000 'Western Enterprise'; Chester by grumpy's trains, on Flickr

Here's one at Chester ready to couple on to the ex-Birkenhead:

4956511022_299a55b8d7_z.jpg

D1059 Western Empire 1963/4 by Ken Ward, on Flickr

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 2

Westerns did run to Birkenhead.

I hope so because that could swing my decision to get one :) , any more info?

nice shot by Ben Brooksbank, sides have had a bit of a clean..

post-27-0-33332500-1361840720.jpg

Seer Green

"View eastward, towards London Paddington; ex-GWR Paddington - Birmingham main line. The 14.10 Paddington - Birkenhead express now has Type 4 'Western' 2,700hp C-C Diesel-hydraulic No. D1005 'Western Venturer' - brand-new from Swindon.

Date 7 July 1962"

The copyright on this image is owned by Ben Brooksbank and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Super piccy but IKB would be turning in his grave if that was a factory finish!!! Been in traffic 3 weeks but looks rather like she has already completed a few cyclical diagrams.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

I've asked a pal of mine who's a railway historian who's forgotten more than I'll ever know. He says that the Wizzos would normally have been detached at Chester for a kettle to work it forward to Birkenhead. He can't definitively say a Wizzo did or did not work through to Birkenhead. Someone else told me years ago that they did, hence why I assumed it was the case. It'll all hinge on photographic proof and personal observations.

RWJ

• Like 1

The postman's just been. Ooh, ooh, just gorgeous isn't it? Like an exquisite coffee & walnut cake. And no chewed screws on mine, either. It'll sit on static display so I need to organise a glass case to keep the dust off.

RWJ

My wife asked "Why on earth did they paint it beige?" !!!!!!!

If you look at it in a certain light, it does sort of look NHS-hearing-aid beige. (See last Sunday's Top Gear for more on this colour.) Enterprise will benefit from a coating of semi-gloss varnish.

• RMweb Gold

Taken on what was my 21st birthday. Later that month travelled to London for my birthday bash  .....to and fro.....with 'Western' haulage

• Like 2

I've asked a pal of mine who's a railway historian who's forgotten more than I'll ever know. He says that the Wizzos would normally have been detached at Chester for a kettle to work it forward to Birkenhead. He can't definitively say a Wizzo did or did not work through to Birkenhead. Someone else told me years ago that they did, hence why I assumed it was the case. It'll all hinge on photographic proof and personal observations.

RWJ

we've got a thread about Western Hydraulics in the north west.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49844-hydraulics-was-warships-in-the-north-west/

trying to find evidence of Westerns staying on at Chester to Birkenhead but so far people ive spoke to, Mollington street drivers, foremen etc, said they never did :(