Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

There's an extremely positive 2-page review in Rail Express. "...undoubtedly being the definitive 'Western'... ...quite possibly the best 4mm diesel model, overtaking the Hornby Class 60 and Bachmann prototype Deltic..."

You get the gist.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

The Western was specified as clip in cab fittings, not (and i mean NOT (are you listening in china)) clip then glue into place.

Dave

Hi Dave ,  on mine the cabs were glued at the top where the bulkhead slots into the roof (either side of the wires for the cab lights)  and either side where the cab clips into the cabside glazing. 

Regards

Jon 

• RMweb Premium

In view of the 'controversy' over the headcode character height, I've printed the panels with characters to match Heljan ones, and also some with 4mm. / 1ft. characters, which was suggested by another poster to be the correct size.

My initial impression is that the 4mm. / 1ft. ones will fit and look correct, but I'll report back when I've applied them; hopefully with a photo.

Attached is a quick photo of 4mm. high (1ft) headcode characters applied to the outside of the headcode glazing of my D1000.

post-2274-0-90732300-1361539119_thumb.jpg

Bear in mind that these have NOT been properly settled down with decal softener until I'm fully convinced that they are the right size.

That said, they look pretty good to me.

What do others think?

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Like 14

Attached is a quick photo of 4mm. high (1ft) headcode characters applied to the outside of the headcode glazing of my D1000.

attachicon.gifHEADCODE APPLIED.JPG

Bear in mind that these have NOT been properly settled down with decal softener until I'm fully convinced that they are the right size.

What do others think?

Regards,

John Isherwood,

I think these look excellent. It's not too difficult to make DIY waterslide transfers (unless you see a potential market here John?!). Otherwise try Googling Crafty Computer Paper.

• RMweb Premium

Another tip for D1000 owners.

On my model, the buffer heads extended a little too far, showing excessively long shanks.

I cut some small rectangles of 20 thou. / 0.5mm. plastic card with a central notch, to just fit over the shanks. With the buffer heads compressed, I slipped these over the shafts behind the buffer-beams and secured them to the rear of the beam with a tiny touch of solvent.

Result - buffer heads with correct length shanks.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifHEADCODE APPLIED.JPG

What do others think?

Regards,

John Isherwood,

I reckon they look pretty good John (I'll take a set if you decide to market them)

• Like 2

John - that looks great and changes the 'face' of the model overall I think.

As for the headcode glazing - I honestly think it wouldn't hurt to not bother with it and just put the reporting numbers in on their own if possible, from a couple of feet away it'll probably look fine. I did this with my HJ Westerns and 47s and thought they looked ok from a ditance. An alternative is make your own glazing from a thinner sheet of clear plastic and make it a 'push fit' on top of the reporting numbers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is everyone saying that you put the reporting digits on the outside of the glazing... really? Is the glazing really too thick to do it properly?

The problem is that the cab interior and headcode / glazing components, which were designed to be clip-fit for easy removal, have been glued in by the Chinese assemblers.

My experience (above) is that any attempt to access the interior of the headcode glazing will almost certainly cause damage.

DapolDave has urgently contacted the manufacturers in China to tell them NOT to glue in the relevant components on the main production batches.

So - it's hopefully only a problem for us D1000 owners.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John are your headcodes illuminated in that shot? Just strikes me that there is a tad of illumination from behind, giving that opaque yellow look which to me looks sooooo right, not like modern chav-lights that all the cars have to have fitted nowadays (those awful modern LED thingys). If they aren't illuminated, then it's a trick of the light ('scuse the pun), but gives the effect.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

post-2274-0-39781800-1361547950_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what the 1961 four character headcodes for the Up and Down "Pines Express" would have been?

Why? Well, surely everyone recalls the load tests of D1000 over the S&D?

No? Well, you're living in the wrong parallel universe, then!

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

John are your headcodes illuminated in that shot? Just strikes me that there is a tad of illumination from behind, giving that opaque yellow look which to me looks sooooo right, not like modern chav-lights that all the cars have to have fitted nowadays (those awful modern LED thingys). If they aren't illuminated, then it's a trick of the light ('scuse the pun), but gives the effect.

Stewart

Nope - just a quick shot on the workbench.

The 'trick of the light' is probably the result of slight under-exposure - it was a quick shot, after all!

Regards,

John.

• RMweb Premium

I just had a phone call from Geoff Davies to say that the Western Enterprise models have arrived at STEAM. I'll pop over there tomorrow to collect one :)

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67674-Dapol-western-photo-review/page-28?&p=957505

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

On Tuesday night, Jon 43179 posted images that he was able to access the inside of his headcode glazing and removed the black lines with Cif, washed it, then attached two of the supplied headcode labels on the inside. Now, was he able to do this without breaking anything?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67674-Dapol-western-photo-review/page-24

RWJ

hi

i receved my d1000 today an its a lovely loco but im a tad worried that its a bit low! with the speedo fitted it brought my attention to the problem! can anyone help me with this as it may be a easy fix! she runs fine an its evenly low all round! hope you can see by the pictures

regards neil

post-15503-0-10919100-1361550906_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-69987900-1361551150_thumb.jpg

The problem is that the cab interior and headcode / glazing components, which were designed to be clip-fit for easy removal, have been glued in by the Chinese assemblers.My experience (above) is that any attempt to access the interior of the headcode glazing will almost certainly cause damage.DapolDave has urgently contacted the manufacturers in China to tell them NOT to glue in the relevant components on the main production batches.So - it's hopefully only a problem for us D1000 owners.Regards,John Isherwood.

OK thanks for this clarification... but hopefully Dave can confirm whether the blue fye ones are affected too. That would be a show stopper for me. Looking ok from few feet away might be ok for some... but not me.

Now worried!

I'm sorry Jon020,

This affects the Blue ones as they are currently 'in country'.

i can only suggest if its such a deal breaker you cancel your order and wait for the next run sometime in the autumn if they prove popular.

this will have the added bonus of freeing up a model for someone else.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

On Tuesday night, Jon 43179 posted images that he was able to access the inside of his headcode glazing and removed the black lines with Cif, washed it, then attached two of the supplied headcode labels on the inside. Now, was he able to do this without breaking anything?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67674-Dapol-western-photo-review/page-24

RWJ

I'd say it's unlikely you'd break anything if you proceed with caution. I placed the headcodes internally in the OP.