Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Guest jim s-w

Hi B15nac

It does look lower than the other pics ive seen but thats no bad thing as i thought the others looked too high. The actual height from top of the rail to the center of the buffer should be 14mm and if this is the case and it runs ok I wouldnt worry.

Does the speedo cable bend? If not perhaps a spot of gentle heat would help you bend it a tad to line up with the center of the wheel?

HTH

Jim

I'm sorry Jon020,

This affects the Blue ones as they are currently 'in country'.

i can only suggest if its such a deal breaker you cancel your order and wait for the next run sometime in the autumn if they prove popular.

this will have the added bonus of freeing up a model for someone else.

Cheers

Dave

OK Dave. That's a shame. Glazing breaking is a problem if that's the outcome of trying to fit codes properly. Good luck sorting the production problems.

Edited by Jon020
  • Like 1

Hi B15nac

It does look lower than the other pics ive seen but thats no bad thing as i thought the others looked too high. The actual height from top of the rail to the center of the buffer should be 14mm and if this is the case and it runs ok I wouldnt worry.

Does the speedo cable bend? If not perhaps a spot of gentle heat would help you bend it a tad to line up with the center of the wheel?

HTH

Jim

Even better, use a bit of ribbed rubber (calm down) and glue a bearing to the speedo pickup, attach to wheel centre with double sided tape.

RWJ

I'd say it's unlikely you'd break anything if you proceed with caution. I placed the headcodes internally in the OP.

Andy,

Are you sure that your review model was from the production run?

post-2274-0-54111800-1361559093.jpg

My D1000 doesn't look like that - the bit that appears to be foam on yours is solid plastic on D1000.

The cab interior and headcode box are VERY securely glued to each other and to the body.

My warning against dismantling stands - I learned the hard way and I'm not ham-fisted.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Am i to take it that those like me that like adding a crew to the cabs have now got to wait for the 2nd production run as most reviews seem to say avoid taking apart.

There was me hoping to have all my Heljan ones replaced by march this year.And does this also include the kernows versions having the cab glued in with the headcode.

As mentioned i have no problem fitting fox transfers waterslide headcodes over the front but having a cab glued in is another thing.

And last is this to delay further what i like many have been waiting for,a western of all westerns.

richard.

• Like 1

Am i to take it that those like me that like adding a crew to the cabs have now got to wait for the 2nd production run as most reviews seem to say avoid taking apart.

There was me hoping to have all my Heljan ones replaced by march this year.And does this also include the kernows versions having the cab glued in with the headcode.

As mentioned i have no problem fitting fox transfers waterslide headcodes over the front but having a cab glued in is another thing.

And last is this to delay further what i like many have been waiting for,a western of all westerns.

richard.

This is my worry with fitting cab crew. This might sound like a radical suggestion, but as the Chinese factory caused this problem due to not adhering to manufacturing instructions, surely they should cough up for replacement cracked parts in a similar way that Hornby have been replacing the cracked chassis on some of their 31s?

Richard (another one)

• Like 1

Something tells me however, that this would be at a cost to Dapol. Only DapolDave is in the position to say whether this is an option, or replacement bodies like Bachmann did with the 416's. I'm hoping that the Maroons won't be affected by this, again only DapolDave can say!

Something tells me however, that this would be at a cost to Dapol. Only DapolDave is in the position to say whether this is an option, or replacement bodies like Bachmann did with the 416's. I'm hoping that the Maroons won't be affected by this, again only DapolDave can say!

I don't see why it should cost Dapol anything. If the contractor fouled up (as it looks like they did by gluing things together when they shouldn't have), then it's up to them to rectify it at their cost.

• RMweb Gold

Personally speaking, I think everyone is making too much of the glazing problem. There cannot be more glue in there than there us holding the cabs in the class 22's, and with care and perseverance they can be removed successfully, even by a hamfisted sod like me.

Also a message to Jono20, after what you've done to the Deltics, anything on the Western will be a doddle, trust me.

Mike.

• Like 1

Personally speaking, I think everyone is making too much of the glazing problem. There cannot be more glue in there than there us holding the cabs in the class 22's, and with care and perseverance they can be removed successfully, even by a hamfisted sod like me.

Also a message to Jono20, after what you've done to the Deltics, anything on the Western will be a doddle, trust me.

Mike.

I'd have to agree Mike.

Come on Jon, don't be defeatist. A man of your skill can knock out a set of flush glazed headcode boxes and get the "exclusive" how to on here. Go on, keep your order and inspire an "unsure" NE devotee that he really needs a Blue one.....

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifHEADCODE APPLIED.JPG

Does anyone know what the 1961 four character headcodes for the Up and Down "Pines Express" would have been?

Why? Well, surely everyone recalls the load tests of D1000 over the S&D?

No? Well, you're living in the wrong parallel universe, then!

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Ah now 1961 is a slight problem as it was still using LMR pattern train numbers - 1411 Southbound and 1525 northbound.  In the summer of 1962 it had 'proper' 4 character numbers and was 1O95 southbound and 1M04 northbound.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Like 2

On Tuesday night, Jon 43179 posted images that he was able to access the inside of his headcode glazing and removed the black lines with Cif, washed it, then attached two of the supplied headcode labels on the inside. Now, was he able to do this without breaking anything?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67674-Dapol-western-photo-review/page-24

RWJ

Hi - I proceeded with caution -  other than the sound of cracking glue, I didn't break anything - though I did have to 'break' the glue joint that holds  the headcode/lighting prisms onto the underside of the cab moulding. If you are careful and separate the lighting unit/headcode glazing into componant parts , then its quite easy to fit the headcodes behind the headcode glazing (where they should be)

HTH

Jon 

Hi - I proceeded with caution -  other than the sound of cracking glue, I didn't break anything - though I did have to 'break' the glue joint that holds  the headcode/lighting prisms onto the underside of the cab moulding. If you are careful and separate the lighting unit/headcode glazing into componant parts , then its quite easy to fit the headcodes behind the headcode glazing (where they should be)

HTH

Jon 

Many thanks for this. I just need mine to turn up. 3 days on and "Royal Mail First Class post" still hasn't produced anything.

• RMweb Gold

Well said that man :good:

Come on Jon...get stuck in and I'm sure you will ace it...but you must finish that 47 first :no:

Well done Dave - am sure the 2mm version will be perfect ;)

Edited by bcnPete

Ah now 1961 is a slight problem as it was still using LMR pattern train numbers - 1411 Southbound and 1525 northbound.  In the summer of 1962 it had 'proper' 4 character numbers and was 1O95 southbound and 1M04 northbound.

Hope that helps a bit.

Perfect; my memory was at fault anyway - it was 1962 that WESTERN ENTERPRISE was trialled on the S&D.

Headcodes will be printed later this morning.

Thanks again,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

Guest jim s-w

Well done Dave - am sure the 2mm version will be perfect ;)

Dave has already stated it's too late to make any changes to the n gauge one but then he has also said it does look better than the 4mil one

Jim

• Like 1

Perfect; my memory was at fault anyway - it was 1962 that WESTERN ENTERPRISE was trialled on the S&D.

Headcodes will be printed later this morning.

Thanks again,

John Isherwood.

Free to all those quoting their Steam reference number John?

(Especially those in the Antipodes...?)

Yours in good humour, :no:

Peter C.

(A very satisfied customer of CCT).

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but I am an N gauge modeller (the gauge of kings ;-))

I shall be doing something with the wheels so they will run on the much nicer 2FS track but wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment :-)

The fact that its too late to do anything about the N gauge ones must mean they're not that far off!

Jerry

• Like 1