Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Hi,

I hope to have Enterprise's in finished format on display for the Steam show, but not product unfortunately.

I should also have finished Blue, Maroon and Green versions on display as well.

As for delivery? well i would think Warley is a good guess for the standard run with the Steam model of Enterprise coming in as a 'launch' model a fair bit earlier.

cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I hope to have Enterprise's in finished format on display for the Steam show, but not product unfortunately.

I should also have finished Blue, Maroon and Green versions on display as well.

As for delivery? well i would think Warley is a good guess for the standard run with the Steam model of Enterprise coming in as a 'launch' model a fair bit earlier.

cheers

Dave

Excellent news - fingers now firmly crossed - except for my bank account. Looks like it's going to be a rather expensive 'Christmas' if the Kernow weathered version is also out by then plus a green one as well ... ah well all best purchased as they appear as no doubt they will shift off the shelves like those proverbial hot cakes (and thank goodness I don't like blue diesels).

Ditto Mike - although I'll be having the odd blue one as well!

With 'Steam' really only weeks away the anticipation is already building, and knowing how much time and effort Dave and Co are (still) putting into this model I'm sure there will be plenty of very happy WR modellers come the back end of this year :good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/

And this year's exhibition (they call it a 'festival' which is probably a fair description - usually has some excellent catering plus traction engines as well as the model railway element) on 15/16 September and well worth a visit in my experience

http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/steam/steam2007-swindonrailwayfestival2011.htm

• Like 2

Silly me.

No sooner than i posted the above thread i found the information in my diesels in depth book of the westerns.

D1005 did only lose them on b end only but as far back as the 24/7/67 so will need to be removed and was the same time she went into blue livery so within my time span.

As with roof fan colour i have noticed D1013 carrys yellow ones the last time i saw her.

richard.

Good idea Andy! What chip have you gone for?

Phil

Phil, I'm not into chips in the way some people are. I use DCC because I like being able to run a loco up to another or in opposing directions on the same line, so I go for cheap rather than exotic. I've just purchased a Bachmann 21 pin chip because I have used several, they seem reliable and they don't cost too much.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy

My attitide is similar but as we are seriously sound we are all Loksounds - will have to order one of Brian's excellent recordings from Howes for this beast I think.

Phil

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Phil, I'm not into chips in the way some people are. I use DCC because I like being able to run a loco up to another or in opposing directions on the same line, so I go for cheap rather than exotic. I've just purchased a Bachmann 21 pin chip because I have used several, they seem reliable and they don't cost too much.

Andy

Hi Dave,

Just catching up on this thread and seen this about the choice of decoder. How many function outputs will be needed to work all the lights on the Western? On the Class 22 its four, so I've fitted a Lenz Silver because the Bachmann 21pin has only three. I've pre-ordered a Kernow weathered version and this would help me decide what decoder to ask them to fit for me.

Also, I see that the Steam Museum D1000 Western Enterprise models will have the name and numberplates pre-fitted by Dapol. Will they also be pre-fitted to the Kernow weathered limited editions? This would be good as it means they could be included in the weathering, rather than stand out all bright and shiny if fitted later.

Can't wait - especially as a may get to Warley for once this year.

Edited by brushman47544

You have me intrigued now, Andrew. I'm trying to figure out if I have missed a trick on my 22 or you have made a small error! I have only found three functions on the 22: one for the marker lights, tail lights and headcodes, one for the cab lights at No. 1 end and one for the cab lights at No. 2 end. Can you elucidate, please? :)

• RMweb Premium

You have me intrigued now, Andrew. I'm trying to figure out if I have missed a trick on my 22 or you have made a small error! I have only found three functions on the 22: one for the marker lights, tail lights and headcodes, one for the cab lights at No. 1 end and one for the cab lights at No. 2 end. Can you elucidate, please? :)

Divided by a common language - or my use of it anyway!

I agree with you that you need three function outputs for all the lights to work on the Class 22, but as I understood it (and I am not expert on DCC - far from it in fact) this meant you need a four function output decoder (i.e. plus one for the motor) and that's what I thought I was saying...although re-reading it now I see what you mean.

I didn't bother to try it and went on the advice from skin_2 (see post below) and others IIRC in the Class 22 thread that the No.2 end cab lights didn't work with a Bachmann 21pin decoder fitted because it only had three function outputs. I was therefore asking whether the Western would be the same.

....but you need a 4 function decoder to get both the cab lights to work. I used the Bachmann 21 Pin decoder to start with and the motor, directional lighting and one cab light worked. I changed to the TCS EU621 in both my Class 22s and it works well.

Edited by brushman47544

The motor output is not usually regarded as a function, to the best of my knowledge. In theory that Bachmann 3-function decoder should do the job but, obviously, in practice it doesn't seem to be doing what it is supposed to, from what skin_2 has said. I used a TCS EU621 in mine anyway and the control is very good; I'll certainly consider the same decoder when I purchase the Western.

• 3 weeks later...

The Western Locomotive Association (WLA) has this morning announced a limited edition run of 150 Maroon with small yellow warning panels of 1062 Western Courier to celebrate Couriers 50th birthday next May. They are offering it to member initially at £149.95 plus £6.00 P&P. Each will come in a gift box with a number certificate.

Another dilemma, already ordered a maroon one from Hatton's!

• 3 weeks later...

The motor output is not usually regarded as a function, to the best of my knowledge. In theory that Bachmann 3-function decoder should do the job but, obviously, in practice it doesn't seem to be doing what it is supposed to, from what skin_2 has said. I used a TCS EU621 in mine anyway and the control is very good; I'll certainly consider the same decoder when I purchase the Western.

That's what I thought initially as well, but I think that forward and reverse lighting counts as two functions, so if you've got a 3 function decoder then it does Function1 = forward lighting, Function2 = reverse lighting and Function3 = aux (one cab light in the Class 22), so you need a 4 function decoder to operate both the cab lights in this case