Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Hi guys,

Steam are well over 50 % pre sold on their 2 versions of D1000, so don't hang around if you want one.

Hi DapolDave,

I noticed you mentioned in Post #615 that there are 2 versions of D1000 for STEAM... are you sure? As far as I can tell, they only advertised one and the order form currently only lists one.

I'd be interested to know if STEAM have another version being made - if so, do you have details?

As far as I can tell, just 'STEAM' and 'Lord and Butler' are doing specials... are there others too?

Very much looking forward to seeing these :)

Thanks in advance,

Ixion.

• Like 1

Hi guys, 3 words to remember and take on board here............. "first shot sample".

Changes will be made.

Cheers

Dave

Don't worry Dave someone will still find a fault with it, at least i saw it at DEMU, and for "A FIRST SHOT SAMPLE" it looked very good, apart from............................ :scratchhead:

• Like 1

I can't wait to receive my model, although I doubt September delivery will happen. If it's a few months late, it will be a great Christmas present. As for all the comments, I admire Dave for developing this model, and others, in the public eye. I think I would get extremely frustrated with some comments. I'm sure he does it to get the best results possible and should be applauded for this approach.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Might be worth asking them as its possible the non warning panel one might have sold out already.

Cheers

Dave

No worries there Dave - I ordered mine on the 10th of September last year and I was among the first dozen or so orders place so I was told ;) But I'll speak to Geoff to make sure I get the right one. (Now confirmed that my order is No.21 on Steam's list :sungum: )

Edited by The Stationmaster

Dave

Which versions will Dapol be selling through 'normal' outlets?... or haven't you decided yet??

From Dapols own website:

D1005 “Western Venturer†BR Blue with full yellow warning panel

D1029 “Western Legionaire†BR Maroon with small yellow warning panel

D1038 “Western Sovereign†BR Green with small yellow warning panels

D1056 “Western Sultan†BR Maroon with full yellow warning panel

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave

Which versions will Dapol be selling through 'normal' outlets?... or haven't you decided yet??

From Dapols own website:

D1005 “Western Venturer†BR Blue with full yellow warning panel

D1029 “Western Legionaire†BR Maroon with small yellow warning panel

D1038 “Western Sovereign†BR Green with small yellow warning panels

D1056 “Western Sultan†BR Maroon with full yellow warning panel

Hi guys,

Sure I've covered this in previous mails, but the western will have the following (Cue people complaining at having to fit parts)

1) 2 replacement valances without coupling holes

2) a full set of replacement brake shoes for those with generous track radii

3) non fitted etched name and number plates for the customer to fit or choose others ( there will be no name or number printed on the logo)

4) accessory pack of brake hoses etc will be included

5) it will have angled valances, peaked nose and flush body side opening grill.

6) The chassis will incorporate the correct battery box clips for the livery modelled. Where the livery spans the change over, the later clips variant will be used.

7) having taken the EP apart I can confirm the cab clips into the body and is not glued making access to the head code panels easier

8.) roof lift rings will be factory fitted and of etched steel.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

I too have been wondering about this because Dapol's list as posted by Redkiterail is incompatible with what DapolDave is saying will be the specifications of the first models to be available. For example, D1029 Western Legionaire never had headboard clips but apparently the first batch will all have them (as per the first shots shown earlier in this thread). So if you want complete accuracy, you wouldn't be able to use D1029 etched plates if they were provided with this model. Seems a bit of a waste, so it makes sense for Dapol to change the etched number/names to be provided.

This is why I have already asked on here for clarification. I want a pristine Maroon SYP with headboard clips (and later, opening, RHE engine room vents) to model my preferred loco, but if the Maroon SYP version is accurate for D1029 I will need to cancel my pre-order and wait.

Edited by brushman47544

Hi Brushman47544,

whilst i agree its a little confusing, i think we'll keep the names and numbers as published to allow the confusion not to reign with the general public.

The minute we start mucking round with product codes and what we are going to release then this happens and models get left on databases that will never see te light of day.

The headcode clips wont be removed from W.L. i'm afraid, as it would cost nearly 9K to insert a slide to allow that, and i doubt very much we would recoup our outlay on this feature.

Luckily the nameplates arent fitted so you have an option of removing them yourself or fitting a nameplate of your choice.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brushman47544,

whilst i agree its a little confusing, i think we'll keep the names and numbers as published to allow the confusion not to reign with the general public.

The minute we start mucking round with product codes and what we are going to release then this happens and models get left on databases that will never see te light of day.

The headcode clips wont be removed from W.L. i'm afraid, as it would cost nearly 9K to insert a slide to allow that, and i doubt very much we would recoup our outlay on this feature.

Luckily the nameplates arent fitted so you have an option of removing them yourself or fitting a nameplate of your choice.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

cheers

Dave

Thank you Dave for the confirmation. Actually its good news for me that it will have headboard clips, and not using the etched plates supplied with the model is hardly an issue - if you did change loco number, there would still only be a 1 in 73 chance you picked the one I wanted :yes: . Just need Brian at Shawplan to confirm his new etched plates are available.

Edited by brushman47544

Hi Dave,

Do you plan to use the same approach of supplying unfitted name and numberplates for the N gauge versions as well? Also will Osborn's N gauge D1000 come fully fitted as per the 00 gauge example?

Will the blue model of D1005 have the Talisman clips? If it does, that will rather limit the time frame which is can represent. Also, does that mean there will be a later release of a blue Western with the original clips?

Geoff Endacott

Edited by Geoff Endacott

Will the blue model of D1029 have the Talisman clips? If it does, that will rather limit the time frame which is can represent. Also, does that mean there will be a later release of a blue Western with the original clips?

Geoff Endacott

D1029 is not blue i dont think......only D1005 is blue of first lot.

Post now corrected, but the validity of the question remains. Blue livery spanned ten years of the Westerns' lives, but the Talisman clips only featured for approximately the last three years. Will we get two different versions of the blue Western, one with each type of clips?

(I know I am being fussy.)

Geoff Endacott