Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

The Western, 73, 21, 29 etc, will all take the same speaker as the class 22 was designed for.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave - thats great news

Etc = 43? tee hee!

Phil

• Like 1

Hi guys

The First working test model was shown off at the Crewe show yesterday to traders.

It also drew looks from the public as it ran on one of the layouts for a bit.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for letting us run it Dave, absoluetly stunning model.

Not my era BUT i will just have to have a couple to run on Railtours!!

Fellow members, it is well worth waiting for.....

• RMweb Premium

Those with access to Facebook will surely be looking forward to the arrival of the Kernow editions now. Suffice to say not only the best model of a 52 I have ever seen but truly realistic weathering as well. Not very cheap but well worth the asking price IMO.

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that weathered Western wheel was a flashback moment.

Back to 1974 whilst waiting at the Foreman's office at Bath road depot asking permission for a visit (well more accurately hoping to get a few more numbers before being told to "go away"). A grimy D1001 Western Pathfinder passed behind the office, above the eyeline, I was really fascinated by the unique open nature of the Western's wheels when seen moving at less than 12 feet away. Happy days. Shall I order a Kernow version? Hmm....

• RMweb Premium

I read the Kernow comments as suggesting there will be one demonstrator at Warley. Nothing that I'm aware of suggesting any on sale just yet. But get the order in quickly as they're a limited edition and I'm betting they won't stay around to appear on the shelves!

• Like 1

I read the Kernow comments as suggesting there will be one demonstrator at Warley. Nothing that I'm aware of suggesting any on sale just yet. But get the order in quickly as they're a limited edition and I'm betting they won't stay around to appear on the shelves!

I've ordered an unweathered one to weather myself, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I couldn't do better just to order one of these instead... hmmm, time to closely examine on Saturday I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Various samples seen at Warley today (not the Lord & Butler one but the Kernow pair and various examples on the Dapol stand and all looking very top notch with some really good looking colour matches to the blue, green and maroon on the ex-works appearance examples. The Kernow weathered versions are a superb job - even if they are in blue livery :O

• RMweb Gold

My bold

Its not like you to miss words out of a post Mike...

Even if they are in the far more handsome and appealing (not appalling!!) blue livery is what Im sure you meant to say :D

Nah - the best one of the lot was lurking is a display cabinet on Dapol Dave's left, a very fetching shade of green, the only colour that really suited them :sungum:

Mind you it does say more than a lot for a D10XX model where we can talk more about which colour we prefer rather than slagging-off anything else about it such as its shape or important detailing; that's the power of RMweb at work.

• Like 5

Its models like this that could get me interested in the Western Region.... I wonder if a few others will feel the same way and follow ? :D

I don't need such a massive upheaval just to justify one of these, after all, the Westerns managed to find their way to the ER and LMR on railtours, that'll be good enough for me!

• Like 3

What can I say? Western - want.

Saw the pre-production models today - look good to me.

I've already preordered D1062 from the WLA, well I did send a few pounds to help save her all those years ago.

Next planned would be 'Champion' in 'Laira Blue' and filth and even more filth. Sound and smoke effects too.

• RMweb Premium

Presumably the Westerns that have been on public display have been so jaw droppingly fantastic that is has caused everyone's cameras to stop working... :jester:

Would be nice to see a few pictures please, my wallet would like me not to give in and buy a blue one!!!

• RMweb Premium

Its models like this that could get me interested in the Western Region.... I wonder if a few others will feel the same way and follow ? :D

Nah... don't need this excellent looking model to "get me interested", the Western Region had plenty going for it already - except perhaps for its policy of downgrading the SR mainline to Exeter...

Hi chaps,

Just a small update.........

For those interested in DCC sound, i hope to arrange very soon a recording session by a very well known gentleman of this parish (who i consider to produce the best class DCC sound files by a long way) to record a Western ready for the release of our model.

This will allow those that are interested to have a 'proper' DCC sound coming from their big speaker mounted in our Class 52. I might go down to the recording session and take pictures etc for our website, or even in the DCC sound section on here to give you all a 'feel' of what goes into one of these proper recordings.

cheers

Dave

• Like 12