Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Can someone confirm the model with have 21 pin DCC socket? I'm sure I read that somewhere but I cannot remember and I need to make sure I have one to install as soon as my model arrives. Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere, I've looked for it but cannot see it.

Hi chaps,

So what do we think...........coach maroon or loco maroon?

(is there only 1 way to find out? :jester: )

cheers

Dave

Personally I would go for Loco Maroon given that Coach Maroon was only applied between February and September 1962. Loco Maroon was applied from Sept 1962 until March 1967 according to 'Mr Birts' Bible!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Edited by Mark

27th September 1962 to be precise..... :-)

But do we paint grey roof panels or black panels........eggshell works plate or gloss works plate..................enter Mr. H.Hill

I know i was being mean really just to see what the balance of opinion was.

Roof panels were grey when built (apart from D1000) up until the works order of 25.04.62

However these were only endorsed for loco's D1006, 07 + 08 for some reason on the 14.05.62

the 27.09.62 decree was for loco's to go across to Loco maroon for D1000, 02-06, 09-73

BR Blue dictat came down on 07.03.67 and included the roof.

Oh and dont get me started on the nameplates changing height of the plates by 2inches either.

Amazing what you can gleen with a trip to the Search Engine. (Cheddar Gorge anyone?)

cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

just to give you a quick update on this project......

I have received a slightly modified tooling version of the 1st EP model which removed the join line between the chassis and bodyside. and i am currently awaiting the 2nd EP sample with the changes required regarding the front (brackets, sloping nose, window pillars etc).

Ive also received and approved the paint samples for BR Green, BR Blue and Desert Sand liveries (the BR Blue being a spit for the Bachmann Blue used on their Deltic model).

Nameplate and decoration mark positions using official works paint drawings have been sent to China for them to refine the decoration.

The box lid has been approved and we are currently working on a subtle change to our PCB board 21 pin socket to allow for the Bachmann 21-8pin converter to be fitted without having to worry about he decoder being upside down (as the class 22 was).

The only major thing i have to get right now is the headcode digits, and i need some help here. Any thoughts about how this should be done (remember the cab is a clip in one, not glued) would be gratefully received. Do you want them printed on, a sticker as per the 22, in the rear of the glass (problems with the light channeling here possibly needing smaller digits)?

Also a size for these would be good as i want them to be as close to acceptable as possible.

thank guys

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Preferably behind the glazing and visible without illumination for headcode characters Dave. The 22s don't show up at all well to the naked eye in normal lighting and look rather too glossy though I know you tried to get them resembling "behind glass" in doing that.

Hi everyone,

I have received a slightly modified tooling version of the 1st EP model which removed the join line between the chassis and bodyside. and i am currently awaiting the 2nd EP sample with the changes required regarding the front (brackets, sloping nose, window pillars etc).

Ive also received and approved the paint samples for BR Green, BR Blue and Desert Sand liveries (the BR Blue being a spit for the Bachmann Blue used on their Deltic model).

Nameplate and decoration mark positions using official works paint drawings have been sent to China for them to refine the decoration.

The box lid has been approved and we are currently working on a subtle change to our PCB board 21 pin socket to allow for the Bachmann 21-8pin converter to be fitted without having to worry about he decoder being upside down (as the class 22 was).

The only major thing i have to get right now is the headcode digits, and i need some help here. Any thoughts about how this should be done (remember the cab is a clip in one, not glued) would be gratefully received. Do you want them printed on, a sticker as per the 22, in the rear of the glass (problems with the light channeling here possibly needing smaller digits)?

Also a size for these would be good as i want them to be as close to acceptable as possible.

thank guys

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

I have a headcode rollerblind off 806 from Swindon obtained in the early 70s and dimensions are

Dot dia= 50mm

0 2 4 5 7 8 height= 295mm width= 198mm thickness= 27mm

3 6 9 width= 180mm

1 width= 27mm

Hope this is of use

ps will the model be EM friendly as I hope to purchas a small fleet for Shenston road

regards Greg

• Like 2

Dave - regarding the headcode blinds, I know there may be copyright issues but it's worth your while checking out the printed sheets that Heljan supplied with their Westerns.... I'm using them on my 22 and they're fine. I realise you'll have to make your own somehow, but at least they'll give you a good idea of the size and proportions you need... getting the size and 'weight' of the digits is crucial!

post-7638-0-20233400-1343035369_thumb.jpg

(Edit : I think they could still work on thin card or paper and have the light visible through the digits, but you might still get some light 'bleeding' through the black areas)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

Hi everyone,

thank guys

cheers

Dave

Dave,

I have both the BR headcode font and the original BR diesel / electric numbering font. I'm pretty certain that they came from Monty Wells via a free PC disc offered in one of his articles in MRJ.

If you'd care to contact me at cctrans@hotmail.com , I'll e-mail you a copy of each font. Regretably, I can't make this offer to the list membership in general.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/

Hi Dave

I have a headcode rollerblind off 806 from Swindon obtained in the early 70s and dimensions are

Dot dia= 50mm

0 2 4 5 7 8 height= 295mm width= 198mm thickness= 27mm

3 6 9 width= 180mm

1 width= 27mm

Hope this is of use

ps will the model be EM friendly as I hope to purchas a small fleet for Shenston road

regards Greg

Interesting, Greg, as I have a set of original (unused) headcode blinds which measure up differently (although not by much).

The characters on mine fit in space 12" high and mostly 7" wide (some characters less wide due to their shape eg 1 !). The dot is 2" in diameter and the 'lines' which make up the characters are 1 1/8" wide.

I appreciate there isn't much difference but it is there. Imperial measurements would seem to make sense too as their design dates from an age where these still held sway. I wonder if the one from 806 had distorted from use?

I know that at least one subtle change occurred in that some alpha blinds used the number 0 whereas others had a slightly fatter O, this only really being noticeable when codes were set to 0O00 or 0000.

Simon

Simon

Hi everyone,

Now that the numbers and letters for the headcode are sorted, i have another 2 questions (in multiple format) that i'm hopeful you can help with.

Early style battery box clips.....painted or not? if so what colour? and did D1000 have them painted?

Anyone know the fan blade colour please?

Cheers

Dave

I've no interest in a model Western, but thought I'd have a look through this thread to see what was happening.

Can I just say to Dapol Dave that these questions you're asking really demonstrate the commitment to getting it right.

Other manufacturers, (no names mentioned), could do to take a leaf out of your book.

It's great that you're listening to your customers.

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 4

I've no interest in a model Western, but thought I'd have a look through this thread to see what was happening.

Can I just say to Dapol Dave that these questions you're asking really demonstrate the commitment to getting it right.

Other manufacturers, (no names mentioned), could do to take a leaf out of your book.

It's great that you're listening to your customers.

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean, hopefully "the others" will be watching this and benchmarking their processes against it.... it would seem IMHO that the bar is again being raised. Well done to Dave and all involved at Dapol.

Sorry.... no idea what colour the fans should be.... but the question will surely soon be answered

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm of a mind that the original battery box cover clip were body colour although I do wonder if as supplied they might have been black. Looking at my pic of a very new D1007 there is no contrast at all in the clips and the body colour but that area is grubby notwithstanding the fact that the loco had only done some works test mileage (and hadn't acquired any yellow paint anywhere on the ends). What I can say is that the clips were definitely not painted in any sort of high contrast colour - as far as I can recall the yellow only came in with the 'post Longfield' bigger style clips.

• Like 1

Hi chaps,

So what do we think...........coach maroon or loco maroon?

Loco maroon I expect it will be. Which is sad for me as I am planning a model of Princes Risborough in summer 1962 for which I want a shiny new Western in coach maroon. Possibilities for a limited edition perhaps?

Chris

I'd go with Mike's answer regarding the clips Dave, I haven't found any evidence to the contrary having looked through my collections.

As for the rad fans... early on I think they were painted red, but I have seen photos from above taken in the later blue period when some were yellow. More checking to do methinks...!

• RMweb Gold

I'd go with Mike's answer regarding the clips Dave, I haven't found any evidence to the contrary having looked through my collections.

As for the rad fans... early on I think they were painted red, but I have seen photos from above taken in the later blue period when some were yellow. More checking to do methinks...!

I can't be positive on the Serck fans (hence no previous comment) but I did have a feeling they were red in early days - so not exactly a confirmation of what Nidge has said but more 'yes, I think so'.

Hi everyone,

Now that the numbers and letters for the headcode are sorted, i have another 2 questions (in multiple format) that i'm hopeful you can help with.

Early style battery box clips.....painted or not? if so what colour? and did D1000 have them painted?

Anyone know the fan blade colour please?

Cheers

Dave

Dave - I've just had a look at all the colour images of D1000 in Desert Sand I can find and it looks like the battery box clips are Desert Sand too.

Edit : just tried to PM you Dave but it would not go when I pressed 'send'.. I suspect your PM inbox needs a good clearout...!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1