Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Anyone know the colour of the roof panels on the BR Green ones please?

cheers

Dave

BR green on those panels which are blue on blue locos and black on the central area.

Source: "Heyday of the Hydraulics" (Dady) p.20 D1035

The Colour of British Rail, Diesel Pioneers, has a nice shot looking down on D1035 at Anyho in August 1962.

The panels over the cabs are green, all those over the engine compartment are definitively grey, just like D1004.

Swindon's Westerns had a larger area painted red on the buffer beam; Crewe only painted the flat face red, not the transition areas around the buffer beam...

• Like 3

SL/SW/3128 Livery and Spacing Diagram 10/04/1962

9-4-62 D1002-1004 Lot SW450

9-4-62 D1035-1038 Lot DE286

Body throughout including fixed roof areas louvres and cab hatches standard loco green BR spec 30

Roof hatches between bulkheads mid-grey BSS 2660 9-097

Buffer beam and buffer stocks red BSS 2660: 0-005

Makers nameplate Ground -red, faces - polished. 3' 4 1/2" off rail height

Nameplates apparently 6' 8" off the rail height.

Crest 7' 2" off rail, 2' 8 1/4" forward of the rear edge of cab side window cutout (centre of crest).

Numberplate 6'7" off rail, right edge 7" from handrail cutout..

If you havent done desert sand yet

SL/SW/2872 18-9-1961

Body (areas as above) Desert Sand BSS 2660: 3-036 "modified as per letter dated 31-8-61 to loco works manager" apparently..

Roof ("") Grey BSS 2660: 9-101 (Considerably darkened)

Makers/depot nameplate Ground - black eggshell finish

HTH, Got the blue one too which would appear to have been the maroon diagram modified..

Obviously what is said on paper but seems accurate..

Edited by craigwelsh
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Happy to update my earlier post to accommodate a grey centre section rather than black which is probably the colour they appeared after a few days in traffic. The photo reference I cited is also of a "weathered" example. But green on the fixed panels above the cantrail nonetheless.

I've just received this picture of a 'O' gauge 52 and in this shot compared to the real thing you can see just how bad it looks. Not being able to do this myself I wondered how the Dapol loco faired in a picture of the same format.... just for interest??

I have to say I am more than happy with the Dapol loco.... it looks just so mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm but I do think this type of snap is a good illustration.

My mate Paul has already decided to wait for a Dapol 'O' gauge... I'm probably going to get an 'N' gauge one too... I've not got an 'N' layout...... I JUST WANT ONE !! :declare: :no: :no:

post-8027-0-77825000-1352285097.jpg

• Like 3

Hi,

Can i just confirm that this isnt the same picture Rail Express did for the OO version just repeated here?

I ask because i was assured by Dave at Tower Models that Heljan had been climbing over the real thing to put right what was wrong on the OO version for the O gauge one.

cheers

Dave

Also bear in mind that such a comparison is fraught with difficulties on the optical side of the process. What is the rectilinear drawing of the two optical systems used to create the compared images, where are the optical centres of the compared images, where are the viewpoints relative to the two subjects, where's the datum for the compilation of the two images? The off centre of the image join on the centre glazing bar and different angle of view on the buffers are easily perceived and make the basis of this comparison suspect.

• Like 5

Very much looking forward to seeing this model finally appear.

I know that many perfectionists lurk about on this forum but talking about half an inch difference which when scaled downed to 1/76th scale would not be noticeable to anyone with normal eyesight ( I am talking about where the curve of the roof starts or the bogie valance) Judging by other examples of the class 52 over the years this one(Dapol) looks fine to me. For the price Hattons are offering for pre orders I am prepared to overlook all the things I would not notice anyway. How many of you complain about very slight miss alignments when you buy a car? Not many I should think.

Not a moan, just an observation which I hope will be taken in the spirit in which it is intended. Anyway it will give you detailing boys something to do! My poor old eyes are not as good as they were.

regards

Steve Dawson.

• RMweb Gold

I've just received this picture of a 'O' gauge 52 and in this shot compared to the real thing you can see just how bad it looks. Not being able to do this myself I wondered how the Dapol loco faired in a picture of the same format.... just for interest??

I have to say I am more than happy with the Dapol loco.... it looks just so mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm but I do think this type of snap is a good illustration.

My mate Paul has already decided to wait for a Dapol 'O' gauge... I'm probably going to get an 'N' gauge one too... I've not got an 'N' layout...... I JUST WANT ONE !! :declare: :no: :no:

Mark excellent photo -I assume this is the Heljan O Western-( there's a dedicated thread for that, could it be posted there too?) - confirms the observation made there that the headcode box is too low giving it a "long in the mouth" look.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

i'll go with the consensus of opinion here, but i have tracked down the roof grey to this

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/search_colour.asp?cQuery=BS 9-097

But it looks a shade darker than the pictures i can see although that might be film emulsion and light on the roof making it look like loco roof grey to my old eyes.

so if you are all agreed then the Green ones and the Early Maroon ones will get this 'admiralty grey'

As for finish, i really hate gloss on a model so am loathed to do so, as our new 'blue, green and maroon, have a sheen to them like the Bachmann loco's.

Tell me what you think and i'll go with the flow if there's enough comments for to justify it.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As for finish, i really hate gloss on a model so am loathed to do so, as our new 'blue, green and maroon, have a sheen to them like the Bachmann loco's.

cheers

Dave

Me too, so stick to your plans Dave and go with the Bachmann-like sheen, not high gloss.

• Like 1

Me too, so stick to your plans Dave and go with the Bachmann-like sheen, not high gloss.

A agree, sheen, not gloss.

Regarding the shade of grey for the roof, would it make sense to match the shade you have used for the class 22? They were painted around the same and I would guess to the same specifications.

ah but the class 22 was standard loco roof grey, the same as the 26's, 27's Hymeks etc.

this looks the same in pictures but not when seeing the BSS colour.

hmmmmmmmmmm might be a difficult choice and i wouldnt want to ruin the model at this stage.

cheers

Dave