Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

The Western Locomotive Association (WLA) has this morning announced a limited edition run of 150 Maroon with small yellow warning panels of 1062 Western Courier to celebrate Couriers 50th birthday next May. They are offering it to member initially at £149.95 plus £6.00 P&P. Each will come in a gift box with a number certificate.

Another dilemma, already ordered a maroon one from Hatton's!

Please see the Western Locomotive association website - westernloco.com - Limited Edition model now on general release!!

• RMweb Gold

Please have a look at the Western Locomotive Association website - westernloco.com - model now available to all. Limited edition of 150 models !!

When I go to your website, it says the model is hoped to be released in December.

• RMweb Premium

That's not the same as "model now on general release" and "model now available to all", is it?

Let's not get too critical of the language used. When reading the original post I assumed he meant that the L/E model was now available for anyone to order after a period of being limited to WLA members to ensure those that wanted it got one.

I might consider cancelling my pre-order with Hatttons for this one to support the WLA, but does anyone know - to save me asking them and for wider consumption - whether it will come with etched name and number plates and whether they will be pre-fitted as with Steam Museum's Western Enterprise. I want a different Western and would hate to risk spoiling the model removing D1062 etched plates and replacing them with others, when they Dapol Dave has advised they will not be fitted on the standard release.

• Like 2

To Clarify and not to split too many hairs... General release now to NON WLA Members. The WLA members had priority on ordering... only fair I am sure you would agree? No suggestion that models will be available in UK until December 2012 at the earliest.

The WLA have commissioned just 150 models of 'Western Courier' to celebrate D1062's 50th. ALL PROFITS from the sale go towards maintenance of D1062 with the aim of a return to main line runing.

I have spoken to Dapol Dave and the D1062 model will have etched plates pre fitted and pipes at one end... a standard coupling can be fitted at the other end...or indeed the other pipes! This adds to the exclusive element of the model. Sure you could remove the plates but why? when if you want a different model just buy a standard Dapol version!

There will be unique packaging and a Limited Edition Certificate.

Models are being reserved very quickly. Place your order now !

To purchase your model send a cheque for £149.95 (and £6.00 postage and packing) made payable to WLA SALES to:

JOHN KITE, 10 Buckingham House, Bevan Court, Charborough Road, Filton, Bristol. BS34 7QJ

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Dave. One question though. Is it also "taking a picture in your window" which gives the small yellow panel an apparently fuzzy edge? I can't really tell how sharp the line is around the full yellow but it too doesn't look perfectly sharp to my eyes.

Hi guys,

Not sure on the Christmas delivery and i'll be gutted if we miss out on some this year.

As for the yellow warning panel, it is a bit 'feathery' but will be tidied up on production. These were produced as first deco samples allowing us to get Mercig to Weather Kernow's models to speed things up a bit rather than supply a perfectly finished item which could take 2-3 weeks longer.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The sooner the Kernow versions arrive the greater is the chance I can get them featured on the layout if (I'm assured it's "when" and not "if") MR eventually features it. Ditto the D600s though I'm not holding breath on those coming for quite a while yet.

Hi everyone,

We've had the paint box out and this is the result so far.

Still a little work to do (toilet window greyed out for example), but its a taster.

These 2 will be heading to Mercig for fitting plates and weathering today to produce the masters for Kernow's weathered ones.

Please note the blue is pretty much a perfect match for Bachmann Blue, its just taking a pic in my window makes it look slightly different.

cheers

Dave :locomotive:

Looks good to me. It might be worth not painting the battery box door latches yellow on the small yellow panel version though.

Looking forward to getting some decent Westerns at long last!

36 years since my first Western (long dead Trix Western!)

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 2

Ive just been looking at those photos again... really like the bogie details; I know the focus has been ob body details, but I think that the eye for detail is pretty well balanced across the whole model... just needs some P4 wheels once run in and it will look vey realistic... glad I pre-ordered. Superb work thanks Dave and all at Dapol.

Edited by Jon020
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive just been looking at those photos again... really like the bogie details; I know the focus has been ob body details, but I think that the eye for detail is pretty well balanced across the whole model... just needs some P4 wheels once run in and it will look vey realistic... glad I pre-ordered. Superb work thanks Dave and all at Dapol.

Well done, you know it makes sense. Just need to get rid of those poxboxes and you're sorted.

Mike.