Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

What a frustrating thread.

I come on here to check out photos of the new model (as per the thread title) and end up with a few pics and pages of waffle/piffle from the rivet counters.

Any chance of a few pics of the model, folks?

Well they are landing from today so no doubt there will be pics shortly. Just realsied it's not entirely strightforward to post pics on here (never tried before) and i haven't got time to now to work it out. Anyway my pictures would not have done it justice, so will leave to others to do a better job!

I'm very impressed and the brake rigging 'issue' (??) really isn't a problem at all imho.

Well done to all involved and special thanks to Geoff at Steam for his exemplary service.

I come on here to check out photos of the new model (as per the thread title) and end up with a few pics and pages of waffle/piffle from the rivet counters.

The topic starts with more images (and with a greater degree of clarity or enlargement) than you'd see elsewhere so you'll have had what it says on the tin. Members then discuss content and provide some excellent reference material and contained therein is the information that the first ones will only just be reaching customers but you'd rather they shut up and took their time to give you more pictures. That's frustrating.

• Like 5

May I humbly suggest running two threads, one Pics Only - No Comment (for folks like me who would rather make up our own minds), the other linked to it with Comment/Discussion welcomed.

Dapol Dave - I have seen the model in the flesh at Lord and Butler and was stunned by it.  Certainly the best RTR model diesel ever produced IMHO.

• RMweb Premium

Cough cough !  Gentleman I have just finished reading the review in MR and I have come to a conclusion that DapolDave and his team have done a dam good job.

OK I agree about the length of the buffers can be rectified with a little of think about but I would have to see a model in the flesh so to speak

Overall score 11/10 :locomotive: 

Terry      

Guest jim s-w

Looking at your layout thread Dave you don't run your stuff straight from the box so why the attack on others who take the same approach as you?

Jim

• Like 3

May I humbly suggest running two threads, one Pics Only - No Comment (for folks like me who would rather make up our own minds), the other linked to it with Comment/Discussion welcomed.

But how does that help those of us who like both?

There are some threads where some of the participants clearly know each other really well, and they fill the thread with in-jokes or references to meetings they've had which are of no interest to me. But who am I to tell other people what to talk about: so I just scroll rapidly down the page until I see some images, which I know will relate to the layout, and I read that post.

If you're only interested in the images, can't you do the same with this thread?

Paul

• Like 6

Enterprise has landed here now and I am most pleased to say the lifting rings are fitted (you really don't know how happy that's made me on a sunny but frosty morning :)). There's a couple of issues with name/numberplate/crest positioning but easily rectifiable.

Oh and something smaller and greener has turned up too.

• Like 3

With all due respect, the contributions of 'rivet counting waffle' from several quarters on here is in part what helped to get us all this far with such a fantastic model... I sometimes wonder why I bother. From the outset, Dave has asked us to give our views and constructive criticism, which we've gladly provided because we just want it to be right.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 17

Congratulations to Dave and everyone involved in the project the finished article looks great. It'll look even better when those little coil springs work properly and it's sat in front of a rake of milk tanks. :D The green looks a bit odd in some of those photos, almost grey, but then photos do funny things sometimes. There seems to be a lot more depth to it than the paintwork on the class 22 though which can only be a good thing. Can't wait for mine to arrive, nameplates and CAD program all ready!

My first post!  I noticed this reference back in January and couldn't help thinking of this picture from the old negatives I have been scanning and posting on-line.  Any further advice on a more precise date would be appreciated!

http://froxfield2012.smugmug.com/BRWesternRegion/Southcote-Junction/27465410_MT64SJ#!i=2372320137&k=P3pk5cM

As a newbie, I hope this link will work.

Richard

• Like 6

My first post!  I noticed this reference back in January and couldn't help thinking of this picture from the old negatives I have been scanning and posting on-line.  Any further advice on a more precise date would be appreciated!

http://froxfield2012.smugmug.com/BRWesternRegion/Southcote-Junction/27465410_MT64SJ#!i=2372320137&k=P3pk5cM

Richard

Lovely shot Richard and a warm welcome to the forum ;O)

The presence of the colour light signal means it'll be 1965 onwards, and the Western is one of the Crewe built locos... ;-)

Edit : just enlarged the pic for a better look, the nameplate looks quite short... could be D1043 Western Duke.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

Richard

Wow, that is a nice shot! What always gets me is how clean and tidy the main line environment seemed to be (or, indeed, was) back then. 

post-6893-0-38875600-1361292883_thumb.jpg

post-6893-0-15277500-1361292959.jpg

Im so pleased I ordered (there were only 5 left when i ordered mine , so im amazed that its already turned up) - The buffers are fitted wonky and one end , and theres a very heavy moulded line down one corner of one cab , but its nothing that some modelling cant fix , and means ill have some more time in this lovely models company. 

Edited by 43179
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

With all due respect, the contributions of 'rivet counting waffle' from several quarters on here is in part what helped to get us all this far with such a fantastic model... I sometimes wonder why I bother. From the outset, Dave has asked us to give our views and constructive criticism, which we've gladly provided because we just want it to be right.

Just goes to show that you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

Mike.

• Like 6

So glad it comes with only the vac and steam heat pipes fitted, as it should be for as-built condition. I'm also pleased that the 'A' and 'B' end letters are on the correct ends. It's looking very froth-worthy.

Edited by the-gog
  • Like 1

Last one from me -  and couldn't resist for completeness-  two of the finest ?

post-6893-0-00758100-1361293822_thumb.jpg

the 22 btw has had a coat of Kleer and had the bogie sideframes moved up - and looks great. 

you cant please me either I'm afraid though,  I want my D6XX more than ever now!

Jon  

Edited by 43179
  • Like 13

It's looking very froth-worthy.

and I haven't even opened the goody bag of 'bits' yet - that's normally my favourite bit :)

The special 'Steam' packaging is lovely , and the lifting eyes on the roof are a marvel - (and boy am I glad they're pre fitted). 

Mines destined for yellow warning panels and some heavy weathering and worn paintwork , but I'm going to admire it as delivered for a little while first.

Jon  

• Like 1

Looks very nice even if it isn't blue. It looks like it will be well worth the wait for the weathered version. Of course for it to work on the ECML it would need to have domino markers before the powers that be would let it loose alongside FP/GD/HA finest. It would also have been spirited away somewhere to re-emerge during the FP white cab surround years.

Edited by DelticBlade
  • Like 1

and I haven't even opened the goody bag of 'bits' yet - that's normally my favourite bit :)

The special 'Steam' packaging is lovely , and the lifting eyes on the roof are a marvel - (and boy am I glad they're pre fitted). 

Mines destined for yellow warning panels and some heavy weathering and worn paintwork , but I'm going to admire it as delivered for a little while first.

Jon  

Mine* will be destined for a covering with semi-gloss varnish at some point, as it looks to be just a little too matte for my tastes.

*that is if Steam haven't forgotten that I'm one of the 400 who reserved Enterprise.

RWJ