Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

There was also one that made it all the way to Brighton and then promptly broke down, spending the next few days parked in the now lifted middle road between platforms 2 and 3 where it became something of a tourist attraction until someone could take it away.  That one is my potential excuse for a tatty BFYE version...

Edited by John M Upton

There was also one that made it all the way to Brighton and then promptly broke down, spending the next few days parked in the now lifted middle road between platforms 2 and 3 where it became something of a tourist attraction until someone could take it away.  That one is my potential excuse for a tatty BFYE version...

Any idea which one Jon?

That's not Brighton, it's Waterloo. I think platform 15, long before they demolished the building in the background to build Waterloo International.Luke

Thanks Luke. Yes Mike I did clock the code but it didn't look like Brighton... I know I was tired but not that dim ;-) anyway... it'd still be good to know which one... still undecided as which to do my one as.

... I can't find Western Deltic on the list. I'll get my coat. :-)

Edited by Jon020

Lovely photos Ian.... 1015 ought to have had a different plate on the other side saying 'J.Beresford Evans' as he had a lot of input into the design of the class, Misha Black pretty much handed him an idea or two and let him get on with it...

D1015 in 'Sir Misha Black' guise back in July 2003 at Bournemouth:

attachicon.gifDSCF1540.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF1544.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF1549.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF1550.JPG

Ian,

What tremendous photos! When I finished studying photography at Guildford in 1976 I was presented with my degree by Sir Misha Black who had been employed for the ceremony that year as an iconic personality from the design and imaging world that we about to enter.

Of all the students I was the only one who was aware of his work on the Westerns (and indeed the original Victoria Line tube stock) which resulted in me having a rather long conversation with him as I received my certificate - much to the annoyance of the other graduates!

Just over a year later he was gone - as were all the Westerns :-(

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Knowles
  • Like 3

I'm nit-picking now, but is there a slightly raised line giving the impression of beading along the lower edge at the front above the buffer beam? It wasn't there on the pre-production model and it isn't there on the prototype.

Geoff Endacott

If I'm looking at the correct bit that you're pointing out, I think it is visible in this shot.  It looks like it is supposed to be the top of the bufferbeam, but I might not be looking at the right thing:

5690944201_79bf6e066f_z.jpg

Western Diesel Hydraulic Class 52 No. D1062 'Western Courier' is seen at Wareham in the consist of the OZ56 Kidderminster - Swanage Diesel Gala Convoy seen on the 5th May 2011. by Jack Haynes Photography, on Flickr

And you can make it out here, especially on the left of the picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sinkplunger/5375573248/

Edited by BR(S)

It's a good job that they scanned D1015 really as if they'd gone for D1010 down on the West Somerset this area would have been missing - poor old Campaigner has had the lip removed all the way round due to corrosion!

Edit - just checked... so has D1048!

Edited by Rugd1022

Guest jim s-w

Hi Nidge

Was it removed due to corrosion or added because of it? (thinking Mk1 window frames and door strips here)

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

The Brighton Western was D1037 Western Empress.  Arrived at Brighton on an ADEX special in July 1972.  Broke down and was dumped on the buffer stops of the old middle road for about three days.  I have only ever seen the one picture, that of it sitting all alone at Brighton and it has appeared in various 'Diesels on the Southern' type books over the years.

EDIT - Would you know it, no sooner do I type this response than I find a picture online!!

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p274090425/h43241D28#h43241d28

Seems to be the colour version of the one I have in the book in front of me and indeed I just noticed that the author of that book and the name on that zenfolio collection is one and the same.  There is quite a bit of Western lovelyness in that collection by the way.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

Hi Nidge

Was it removed due to corrosion or added because of it? (thinking Mk1 window frames and door strips here)

Cheers

Jim

All of the Westerns had the lip from new Jim, but 1010 and 1048 probably had them removed during preservation with the result that the area around the buffer beams is now flush. The whole area below the headcode boxes including the front skirts was a water trap, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all seven preserved Wezzies have had trouble in this regard since being bought from BR. The Warships are the same, D821 has had at least one of it's oval vent grilles plated over in recent years (the one to the right of the headcode doors that had a black rubber grommet round the edge).

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3

Some interesting snippets from old copies of 'Railway Magazine' relating to odd Western sightings back in the day...

September 1967... ''Type 4 diesel No. D1009 'Western Invader' was noted at Honeybourne on July 4th pulling six ex-London Transport carriages, destined for Byrds scrap yard at Long Marston''.

October 1968... ''Western Region class 52 No. D1016 'Western Gladiator' was seen passing through Leeds, heading north in the early hours of August 10th, with an atomic pile train''.

August 1970... ''A number of Southern Region 2-BIL and 2-HAL electric sets have arrived at Newport for scrap, two trains of these units were noted at Didcot on May 9th and 16th headed by Class 52 No. D1025 'Western Guardsman' and Class 43 No. 856 'Trojan'...''

October 1971... ''An extremely rare sight at Wellingborough was that of Class 52 No. D1018 'Western Buccaneer' which worked through on a freight from Severn Tunnel Junction on October 9th''.

So there you have it chums, if you need an 'excuse' for a Dapol Thousand they really did get about a bit... ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

Guest jim s-w

Are the Brush 2, (class 31 to you young uns), oval buffers the same as the Western ones, I have a cunning plan.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Even if they are Hornby's class 31 buffers are nothing like a class 31 buffer. Better bet would be the Hornby 50 (at least they are in proportion)

HTH

Jim

• Like 1

I know why the model looks wrong. The lip is painted yellow which makes it look part of the face rather than the top of the buffer area. That's easy to fix.

When I eventually get mine (I have only ordered six so far) I will be tempted to run aluminium paint down the central windscreen pillar. The model has this in body colour which is not right.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Even if they are Hornby's class 31 buffers are nothing like a class 31 buffer. Better bet would be the Hornby 50 (at least they are in proportion)

HTH

Jim

Ah, not got that far yet.

So, are the class 50 oval buffers the same as the western ones? Cunning plan slightly modified!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

The Brighton Western was D1037 Western Empress.  Arrived at Brighton on an ADEX special in July 1972.  Broke down and was dumped on the buffer stops of the old middle road for about three days.  I have only ever seen the one picture, that of it sitting all alone at Brighton and it has appeared in various 'Diesels on the Southern' type books over the years.

EDIT - Would you know it, no sooner do I type this response than I find a picture online!!

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p274090425/h43241D28#h43241d28

Seems to be the colour version of the one I have in the book in front of me and indeed I just noticed that the author of that book and the name on that zenfolio collection is one and the same.  There is quite a bit of Western lovelyness in that collection by the way.

There is some truly top notch stuff on that link, well worth a look for anyone everyone who loves 'em!

• Like 2