Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

I have Nidge - I went through the lot!!!  BTW when did D1000 get the two original fit air pipes - any idea?

By my reckoning Mike sometime in 1963 I think, and possibly the latter half of that year judging by the condition of the paintwork in the photos I've been looking at.

(Oh, and photo #263 in that little lot is an excellent example of Crewe Works particular treatment of the yellow bufferbeam, with the yellow covering the entire area plus the raised lip around the edge, this version only applied to D1039 and D1040, on D1041, D1042 and D1043 the lip was painted maroon).

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

Referring back to the question of of Westerns running about 'half naked' minus their nameplates, here's another 'Railway Magazine' traffic report snippet from the June 1969 issue...

"Class 52 No. 1018 Western Buccaneer is running with one side badly gashed and half of the nameplate destroyed. The nameplates of some other members of this class have been noted with various letters missing''.

Bearing in mind the date of the above, it appears that poor old D1018 would have been running around like this for some time and sure enough checking with Adrian Curtis's 'Western Mythology' book gives us more detail - the plate was still attached to the loco with parts missing until it was removed at Laira between March 6th and 26th 1971, and ran without the plate until November 16th when it was fitted with a new one at Swindon. By chance, there's a photo of it passing Laira with the afternoon milk on the 15th in Geoffrey Kitchenside's book 'Farewell To The Westerns', meaning it was probably put on the milk as a way of getting it up to Swindon. D1018 didn't emerge again until April 13th 1972 but had been repainted, the trouble was, being one of the four 'vacuum braked only' Westerns it was marked down for early withdrawal and was taken out of traffic on 11th June 1973. What a short life...!

There is some truly top notch stuff on that link, well worth a look for anyone everyone who loves 'em!

Just been through them again and through the tears of joy I've spotted that pic #122 is supposedly D1039, but alas it isn't..... when it went blue on 24/2/71 it was fitted with the square cab front air vent so this photo must be of another Crewe built loco... the date is probably correct though as the 31 on the right still has it's pre-Tops number on the cabside ;-)

There is some truly top notch stuff on that link, well worth a look for anyone everyone who loves 'em!

Seconded! (or, thirded!).

Look at this, in my favourite version of the blue livery: http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p274090425/h43241D28#h3399c118

Just over 34 44(?) years ago now, at Twyford and, look at that lovely old fashioned road sign too!

It all looks so fresh and new still!

Enjoy!

John E.

• Like 1

It's the photos in Hornby magazine which first drew my attention to the prominence of the lip.

Another minor fault is the presence of red route restriction dots (early) on a locomotive with Talisman clips (late).

Of course, if the blue model is to be D1005 it would also have lost the headboard clips on one end by the time the Talisman clips were fitted.

Geoff Endacott

It's the photos in Hornby magazine which first drew my attention to the prominence of the lip.

Another minor fault is the presence of red route restriction dots (early) on a locomotive with Talisman clips (late).

Of course, if the blue model is to be D1005 it would also have lost the headboard clips on one end by the time the Talisman clips were fitted.

Geoff Endacott

Ah but the fact that the model comes with no name or number plates fitted means if D1005 is not your bag because of the clips then you can choose your own individual preference or the livery.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

Ah but the fact that the model comes with no name or number plates fitted means if D1005 is not your bag because of the clips then you can choose your own individual preference or the livery.

Cheers

Dave

It still has the Talisman clips and I think you are missing something here. Blue livery dates from 1967. The Talisman clips date from 1974. If all of the blue full yellow end models have the Talisman clips they are restricted to the last three and a bit years of the Westerns' service lives. Seven years, 1967-73 inclusive, are missing. That's more than half the service life of a lot of the Westerns.

Why not use the body with the earlier clips and release it in blue livery with full yellow ends? I want lots like that.

Geoff Endacott

So have any of the Dapol westerns have missing headboard clips...if Dapol 1005 has them now. Hope one day we will have some with air vents done too.

The maroon one with small panels is listed as D1029. That is from the batch D1025-29 which were built without the clips. Will the model have them?

Geoff Endacott

The Brighton Western was D1037 Western Empress.  Arrived at Brighton on an ADEX special in July 1972.  Broke down and was dumped on the buffer stops of the old middle road for about three days.  I have only ever seen the one picture, that of it sitting all alone at Brighton and it has appeared in various 'Diesels on the Southern' type books over the years.

EDIT - Would you know it, no sooner do I type this response than I find a picture online!!

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p274090425/h43241D28#h43241d28

Before my time but it seems hydraulics were a rare sight at Brighton anyway?

My father recalled a day when he took a Warship to the coast on an excursion, a Hymek arriving on the same day on another special.

Upon arrival at Brighton there was some commotion as apparently the type was not cleared for the route at the time, despite nothing untoward happening he was instructed to make the return journey with all roof ventilators closed and a couple of bridges to be passed at walking pace until back on the SW division.

Not sure what happened about the Hymek.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seconded! (or, thirded!).

Look at this, in my favourite version of the blue livery: http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p274090425/h43241D28#h3399c118

Just over 34 44(?) years ago now, at Twyford and, look at that lovely old fashioned road sign too!

It all looks so fresh and new still!

Enjoy!

John E.

It's actually at Lands End nowadays known by the railway as Twyford West (seems it confused some folk).  I'm fairly sure the 'finger' signpost is still there although I believe the Low Bridge sign is long gone.

BTW talking of mis-captions has anybody else noticed the mis-identifcation of Southall (unless it's been corrected following my blowing the whistle on it?).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

...BR blue at launch should have the later ones, but revisiting for earlier ones on re-runs WWII happen sooner or later.

WWII?? Are you using predictive text by any chance, DD?

• RMweb Gold

7759193664_caffff8ef4_b.jpg

D1006 Western Stalwart , Plymouth 1967 by francis3351, on Flickr

anyone going to model this window addition?

Not entirely relevant to the Dapol model, although a possibility for adaptation, but ISTR there's an optional rotary screen wiper in the Heljan sprues along with a square cab ventilator.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

For those who have not heard Steam are in the process of contacting purchasers and are beginning to despatch locos today/tomorrow - in strict order of date of placing your order (as mine was No.21 - bit higher than I thought - I got my call this morning).  All 400 are now sold but there is a reserve list in case anybody happens to cancel.

I'm on my way to Swindon (later this week).

It's actually at Lands End nowadays known by the railway as Twyford West (seems it confused some folk).  I'm fairly sure the 'finger' signpost is still there although I believe the Low Bridge sign is long gone.

BTW talking of mis-captions has anybody else noticed the mis-identifcation of Southall (unless it's been corrected following my blowing the whistle on it?).

Mike - which particular photo are you referring too...?

Edit : just found it... at 'Langley'..!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I hadn't received a call from STEAM for my D1000 order, I phoned this morning.

Very prompt and polite service- gave my credit card details and model will be dispatched tomorrow -for delivery Thursday.

(Busy sound of parcels being wrapped in the background!)

Anyone received theirs yet?

Neil