Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

What a frustrating thread.

I come on here to check out photos of the new model (as per the thread title) and end up with a few pics and pages of waffle/piffle from the rivet counters.

Any chance of a few pics of the model, folks?

...I suggest that you find another thread that you're happy with then. I get bored with reading whining content such as this.

Dave

• Like 6

Mine* will be destined for a covering with semi-gloss varnish at some point, as it looks to be just a little too matte for my tastes.

RWJ

Actually, id love to see how it looks as an ex works loco with a coat of Kleer - it really does wonders for the class 22.

• Like 1

Actually, id love to see how it looks as an ex works loco with a coat of Kleer - it really does wonders for the class 22.

Would be difficult to do it with Klear/Kleer as the original formula stuff has long since sold out. Hasn't it? Anyway, as I've no airbrush, I'd have to use Railmatch's aerosol gloss varnish.

Would be difficult to do it with Klear/Kleer as the original formula stuff has long since sold out.

Not if you use this:

post-1656-0-62010900-1361296500.png

The American one, "Pledge" is actually the same as our original Johnson's Klear. I refer to it as such when using it. I imported twenty bottles of the stuff at wholesale prices about two years ago, and am still on my first bottle (and likely to be for some time).

Since I started using an airbrush with this stuff, I will never go back to brush painting varnish. 

• Like 4

Would be difficult to do it with Klear/Kleer as the original formula stuff has long since sold out. Hasn't it? Anyway, as I've no airbrush, I'd have to use Railmatch's aerosol gloss varnish.

New stuff works just as well in my opinion - the cloudiness disappears on drying and the gloss finish is as good as the old.

Pix

New stuff works just as well in my opinion - the cloudiness disappears on drying and the gloss finish is as good as the old. Pix

Thanks both, but as I said, I've no airbrush, so it's academic. Railmatch aerosol will be what I use.

• RMweb Gold

So that box - a work of art in itself (very good packaging inside it too, very cleverly designed and practical)

post-6859-0-94018800-1361298809_thumb.jpg

and the very nice contents, haven't played with run it yet but if it goes as well as it looks ...wow!! (and glad to see 'the pipes' have been sorted since an early appearance at Steam last year)

post-6859-0-18064900-1361298860_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 19

The packaging bodes well for when the Hornby Stars get released from Steam.The model looks a heavy beast so no worries on traction I guess.

Had 14 behind one on 630mm radius curves. The 14 included 5 Hornby Pullmans, which produce a lot of drag. Couldn't see the point in adding any more but it probably would have taken a couple, although it was the performance of the coaches that was starting to get troublesome, not the loco.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The packaging bodes well for when the Hornby Stars get released from Steam.The model looks a heavy beast so no worries on traction I guess.

While the box style will be maintained I understand that the packaging of the 'Star' will not be to such a luxurious standard as that of D1000 in order to add too much to the price.  I'll try to get a thread started on the 'Star' in teh next day or so having seen the latest version of it today

So that box - a work of art in itself (very good packaging inside it too, very cleverly designed and practical)

attachicon.gifDSCF5434.jpg

and the very nice contents, haven't played with run it yet but if it goes as well as it looks ...wow!! (and glad to see 'the pipes' have been sorted since an early appearance at Steam last year)

attachicon.gifDSCF5438.jpg

And I remember when we were worried about the future when a certain 6-wheel van was commisioned by someone through Dapol - weren't we?

Haven't things got better!   'Nuff said.

Stewart

• Like 1

Just had a go at fitting the alternative brake gear -  

Make life easy for yourself and remove the body and unclip the front valances first! :) 

I'll be re wheeling mine to p4 , but I think the original wheels will look quite good if you take the black paint off the rims, which is the only decoration error I can find with '1000 - might give that a quick try.

I wonder , could we have the 'bits' as spares - the speedo moulding could be handy for a few other things...

tfn

Jon 

• RMweb Gold

While the box style will be maintained I understand that the packaging of the 'Star' will not be to such a luxurious standard as that of D1000 in order to add too much to the price.  I'll try to get a thread started on the 'Star' in teh next day or so having seen the latest version of it today

Feel free to add it to my thread Mike. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65751-Hornby-star-class/ ;)

• Like 1

The more I look at those pics of Enterprise the better it looks! And that roof peak again, well done Dave and team.... is this 'the full sized one you made earlier...?'

post-7638-0-90829700-1361301981_thumb.jpg

(It must be 'Western Week' all over again - just had confirmation that the tickets for D1015's Penzance tour on 29th June have been secured for the long awaited 'Jolly Boys Works Outing'... can't wait!!  :danced:

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

It does look nice doesn't it! Looking forward to receiving my blue one... still undecided as to which one to model; not 1005 as I prefer the front ends with the clips; it looks odd without them. 1023 might be a nice one to do for, for this Deltic enthusiast - retain the regiment theme anyway ;-) There's something artistically balanced about that number too!

still undecided as to which one to model

Hi Jon - I find its hard to choose one over another as they're all interesting. Much like my class 50 obsession , for that reason its just easier to model all of them :no:  

Well im bagging 1008 Harrier (aircraft connection)  1018 Buccaneer (the same reason :) )   and 1071 as I like the extra vents on the cabs.  The Rotary windscreen wiper is another fascinating variation, Having originated on boats,  I could have told them straight away that it wouldn't work on a loco!

Jon 

Edited by 43179
  • Like 1

Hi Jon - I find its hard to choose one over another as they're all interesting. Much like my class 50 obsession , for that reason its just easier to model all of them :no:  

Well im bagging 1008 Harrier (aircraft connection)  1018 Buccaneer (the same reason :) )   and 1071 as I like the extra vents on the cabs.  The Rotary windscreen wiper is another fascinating variation, Having originated on boats,  I could have told them straight away that it wouldn't work on a loco!

Jon 

Good name choices those Jon... remember the Buccs well - superb a/c. As for the Harrier... nowt to beat it. I'll not say more as I might start to rant about the futility of government indecision! Last one - understood ;-)  There are too many ... I can't even cope with a fleet of 22 let alone this lot ;-)

Spot on Jon - that little tweak is a gem and compares nicely with this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55184015@N00/85274064/

that's a useful photo ref that Nige. I did submit to join that group but the terms were a little "nasty" - submit 2 photos or be banned! That's not a friendly way to share images. All bookmarked though.

• Like 2

so heres how it looks with the 'polished' wheel rims -   I just used a cotton bud and some cellulose to remove the black paint from the edges of thewheels  -  I think the effect is pretty good -  very good in fact :)

For the photo i've popped all the detail bits back on too - and its nice to have parts that actually fit snugly.

attachicon.gifIMG_7137.JPG

jon 

Cellulose thinners, I assume?