Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Achiever and Excellence were two names proposed on a thread on this board. Also remember that some Westerns carried HM Navy warship names, so I also borrowed a few from the 50s when I came up with this list:

WESTERN ACHIEVER

WESTERN EXCELLENCE

WESTERN EXCELSIOR

WESTERN EXUBERANCE

WESTERN ENDURANCE

WESTERN CONQUEROR

WESTERN DEFIANCE

WESTERN ILLUSTRIOUS

WESTERN REVENGE

WESTERN TRIUMPH

WESTERN VICTORIOUS

• Like 1

Achiever and Excellence were two names proposed on a thread on this board. Also remember that some Westerns carried HM Navy warship names, so I also borrowed a few from the 50s when I came up with this list:

WESTERN ACHIEVER

WESTERN EXCELLENCE

WESTERN EXCELSIOR

WESTERN EXUBERANCE

WESTERN ENDURANCE

WESTERN CONQUEROR

WESTERN DEFIANCE

WESTERN ILLUSTRIOUS

WESTERN REVENGE

WESTERN TRIUMPH

WESTERN VICTORIOUS

Some lovely ones there too... Tempting to get some plates made up and indulge in a bit of fantasy.

Guest jim s-w

Hi all

Apparently ultrascale are at 24 requests for a p4 conversion set (which is not enough) so those that are interested are urged to register their interest via the ultrascale website.

http://www.ultrascale.com/node/37

You can also register you interest for 00 and EM (figures are shown on he site)

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 1

Some names suit and some don't. Excelsior, Endurance, and Defiance are particularly good. Revenge might have pushed the Western Region's independent attitude just that bit too far for the BRB to be able to stomach.

I've been having lots of fun with these in Photoshop. I'd like to get a set made, but I don't know who'd do custom 4mm Western plates.

Richard

Guest jim s-w

Hi richard

You will struggle to get anything etched from PSD file. Do you have illustrator instead?

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w

Mmmmmm I was born just too late only definitely seeing Westerns outside Swindon in April 77 :-(

However better to see some than none at all, like the 22's, 42+43's and 35, and 600's (apart from Ark at Barry).

I hope some really great layouts come from the Westerns and 22's in both gauges.

I fancy a shed someplace fictitious with sound fitted hydraulics burbling away.

Yummy

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Be careful, vanturer and lady have different headboard clips (or lack off) on one end I think

Thanks for the warning!

A quick trawl through FLIKR suggests its 1005 that doesnt have clips at one end - at least in BFYE

Have you folks managed to be that cute and reproduce that Dave?

Cheers

Phil

That's true, some of the names were less inspirational, almost as if they were struggling towards the end to think of more, but some really do capture the spirit of the times... 'Enterprise' being one of them in my opinion.

The list I am most interested in is one I heard about ages ago - I think it may even have been published in Railway Magazine - where the names did not have the 'Western' prefix at all but were mostly places across former GW territory. Anyone seen it, or got a copy?

I take back what I said. Some of those proposed names are actually a lot better than the ones that did get applied! There was an early artists impression with the Cheddar Gorge nameplates. I'm sure it will be in the books you guys have got - it's very well known. I only seem to have the David Birt book here and that has too many Rail blue pics for my liking. I preferred the original liveries. Western Champion was always a favourite, with Brian Haresnape's beloved Brighton/Stroudley 'improved engine green'. Brian once told me he tried to get that on as many locos as he could but succeeded only with D1015 and one Class 31. Looked a bit odd with maroon coaches, though.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

I believe 1005 recieved works attention due to cab damage in 67 and was released in blue with headboard clips missing from that end.so in viery all her blue livery days.Not an ideal one to model so all my blue ones will carry a change of plates.

richard.

Edited by D1030western musketeer

There's 3 impressions with Cheddar Gorge nameplates, 1 in sand, 1 in green and 1 in maroon.

The sand one is in a cabinet on the mezzanine leading to the NRM search engine.

Each one incidentally had cast cycling lion emblems in different places, and 1 had 2 on1 side.

Cheers

Dave

Some names suit and some don't. Excelsior, Endurance, and Defiance are particularly good. Revenge might have pushed the Western Region's independent attitude just that bit too far for the BRB to be able to stomach.

I've been having lots of fun with these in Photoshop. I'd like to get a set made, but I don't know who'd do custom 4mm Western plates.

Richard

Richard,

You could try CGW Nameplates. The problem with a one-off order is that you will have to stand the preparation costs so it could be quite expensive. Anyone coming along later wanting the same plate would then pay much less.

Adrian

If i were the age I am (remembering Westerns from first introduction in situ) and I was entering modelling and wasn't committed to what i'm doing the this would definitely have me saying "I want some of that".

Congratulations to all concerned in manufacture, feedback and reaction. This is interaction with the customer of the highest order.

Richard,

You could try CGW Nameplates. The problem with a one-off order is that you will have to stand the preparation costs so it could be quite expensive. Anyone coming along later wanting the same plate would then pay much less.

Adrian

Guilplates can do one-off custom 4mm British Rail-style diesel & electric nameplates (say, as carried by the Class 50s) for £20 for the first pair, and £5 per pair for the subsequent orders. Prices may have gone up in recent years, and I don't know if they can also do Western-style plates.

I take back what I said. Some of those proposed names are actually a lot better than the ones that did get applied! There was an early artists impression with the Cheddar Gorge nameplates. I'm sure it will be in the books you guys have got - it's very well known. I only seem to have the David Birt book here and that has too many Rail blue pics for my liking. I preferred the original liveries. Western Champion was always a favourite, with Brian Haresnape's beloved Brighton/Stroudley 'improved engine green'. Brian once told me he tried to get that on as many locos as he could but succeeded only with D1015 and one Class 31. Looked a bit odd with maroon coaches, though.

CHRIS LEIGH

Just as well he didn't succeed. There's only one thing that Golden Ochre reminds me of, but I'd better not write about it as people may be having their dinner. Reminder to self: put Loperamide on the shopping list.

I believe 1005 recieved works attention due to cab damage in 67 and was released in blue with headboard clips missing from that end.so in viery all her blue livery days.Not an ideal one to model so all my blue ones will carry a change of plates.

richard.

Correct Richard - Ventuer was released off Swindon in the Summer of '67 after an intermediate overhaul having lost it's clips at B end ;-)

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris - that artists impression of D1000 is in Brian's 'BR Fleet Survey Volume 2 - WR Diesel Hydraulics'. A slim softback but full of great period goodies... ;-)

Not sure if this has been mentioned before and I appreciate that Dapol cannot do every livery, but think 'Western Champion' would make a very striking model in its unique livery, certainly one I would sign up for.

Perhaps someone will do a limited edition. I have the Cheltenham Models/Lima one. Champion's ochre was shiny and a stark contrast to the matt desert sand finish which we thought was undercoat when we first saw it. The curious yellow panel with the 'wings' was one end only, lasted only a very short time and it never ventured outside Swindon Works. However, I think it has run in that condition for a while since it was preserved. At least Brian's LBSCR ochre brought a bit of variety to the scene. His one-offs are a gift for limited editions.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1