Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Good name choices those Jon... remember the Buccs well - superb a/c. As for the Harrier... nowt to beat it. I'll not say more as I might start to rant about the futility of government indecision! 

If worlds collide, maybe Dapol could make us a definative TSR2 model... (trying very hard not to rant about that! -  both the model and the real thing..)

• Like 3

Far from it - it's the best Western on the market by far. However, you did ask for constructive criticism and that is what I, along with others, have provided.

The numbers are easy to fix. I will use the headcodes from Precision Labels which is what I have done with my five (so far) Class 22s.

Geoff Endacott

Edited by Geoff Endacott
  • Like 2

Amazing really Geoff as I got the number artwork from a great chap in Cambridgeshire who was recommended to me on here as having the correct size numbers and font.

However you never seem happy, and on the Western you've certainly been ,shall we say to be kind, more ambivalent / down on the model than enthusiastic. Maybe it's Dapol, maybe it's me, or maybe your just not a happy person this last few months. Not the chap I knew organising the Chippenham show that's for sure.

I'm sorry we don't seem to have produced anything to make you happy.

Regards

Dave

Dave, you could view it that there are various knowledgeable individuals on this thread who recognise the full potential of this model and wish to help you dot all of the i's and cross all of the t's. Conversely, a more moderate model might just have dropped into that awful, bottomless pool of indifference.

Cheers

Dave   

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 5

I've been looking through OPC's "The Power of the Westerns" and there are a number of photos in it of four Westerns which had a square panel on the cab front just beneath the handrail. What was that all about? Ventilation?

Yes this was to aid cooling in the cab, with all that glass they tended to overheat in the summer.

Problem was that they let rain in as well!

N

Dave, you could view it that there are various knowledgeable individuals on this thread who recognise the full potential of this model and wish to help you dot all of the i's and cross all of the t's. Conversely, a more moderate model might just have dropped into that awful, bottomless pool of indifference.

Cheers

Dave   

Quite - and I have even ventured suggestions as to how the model can be improved.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 2

Yes this was to aid cooling in the cab, with all that glass they tended to overheat in the summer.

Problem was that they let rain in as well!

N

Thanks. I had an inkling. I bet crew could've grown some tomatoes in the cabs in a growbag if they wanted.

• RMweb Gold

Geoff is spot on - as always his comments are 100% accurate, especially regarding Westerns.

All the "rivet counting" type comments (and im including myself here) are merely suggestions to improve the model, and are not unnecessary criticism. The model is excellent but certainly can be improved with minor tweaks,

The reporting numbers are too small - an easy fix and will improve the model and I'll be doing exactly as he says - Precision labels.

Neil

• Like 3

It does look nice doesn't it! Looking forward to receiving my blue one... still undecided as to which one to model; not 1005 as I prefer the front ends with the clips; it looks odd without them. 1023 might be a nice one to do for, for this Deltic enthusiast - retain the regiment theme anyway ;-) There's something artistically balanced about that number too!

Doh! :huh: Just realised that this was the one that went into/out of t'Cross on the western Talisman! Honestly, I'd not remembered that; I just thought the name suited. Don't think the "dots" suit it though - so time for a think on headcode train reporting numbers and find one suitable :good:

Will be interested to see how you "P4" yours Jon!

Edited by Jon020

Guest jim s-w

Amazing really Geoff as I got the number artwork from a great chap in Cambridgeshire who was recommended to me on here as having the correct size numbers and font.

Given that the headcode windows look too small/the wrong shape and the rubber surrounds look way too big the right sized numbers would never have fit. Theres definate area for improvement in the face of the loco. Sort the headcodes and a nice etch to fix the windscreens and id say head on it would be absolutely spot on.

D1015 in 'Sir Misha Black' guise back in July 2003 at Bournemouth:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Edit - make up your own mind

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 9

Does anyone know if the rubber surrounds on the model are painted onto the clear glazing? If so, wouldn't it be a relatively easy job to remove it with thinners and paint on a thinner surround? The headcode boxes themselves look to be the correct size.

RWJ

Guest jim s-w
Jim... give it a rest ....it looks like a 1000 therefore it is a little 1000.... end of

its not like me to tell others what to think but ffs man !!

Make up ypur own mind mickey. Look at the 2 pics and how much the glass fills the panel (which to my eye looks spot on) and also the shape of the tops (they are not flat).

To me, pop the glass out, a few minutes with a file and it will be an improvement.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 3

Gents,

One consideration is how much of the rubber mount overlaps the metal surrounding the headcode glass. Obviously, this is unlikely to be modelled in the same way but it is an important detail to bear in mind.

Dave

No, it's part of the main plastic front moulding not the glass so it's a file job I'm afraid.

Cheers

Dave

er,  staring very closely at mine  , im pretty sure what the-gog is referring to is the black that's printed on the glazing - it should polish off with some tcut or jif (cif?).

Jon 

Edited by 43179
  • Like 1

Guest jim s-w

No, it's part of the main plastic front moulding not the glass so it's a file job I'm afraid.

Cheers

Dave

An easy fix for those wanting too Dave.

I have to say all this discussion is actually getting my interest up in getting a blue one to have a fiddle about with! :)

Jim

• Like 3

Guest jim s-w

you drive many of em did you Jim?

Nope bit then you cant see what they look like from the inside can you? Heaven forbid you actually admit i had a point Dapol Dave already voiced his own concerns.

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 3

Ah, but what's really annoying is the people literally coming out of the woodwork now when comments earlier in the process (and let's be clear the models been round in various incantations for over 12 months, and I know at least 1 commentator has seem it in this time but remained silent) this could have altered the model still further to make it not just a good model but a blinking fantastic one.

However we now get said talking heads saying this and that after the event rather than truly being constructive during development.

Cheers

Dave

Given how much work I've done on other models to correct issues I'm mightily relieved at how little I expect to have to do on this one. Unfortunately, modellers expect to have to improve RTR models and this can work against perfecting a model designed in the way that your Western has been.

Dave  

• Like 1

you drive many of em did you Jim?

I never did im to young but if it looks like a 1000 to them that did, that will do for me ;)

Mickey ... 150 years related to the GWR :D

Mickey, why are you fixated on driving these damn things? I've been a BR driver (1980s) and can say without hesitation that the bulk of drivers had no interest whatsoever in the appearance of locos. It was simply a job which put food on the table for their families.

Dave