Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

The mid Wales line is spectacular and a brilliant location to watch handsome diesels of yesteryear.

Hmm, only if you can see the blasted thing. I followed this tour and snapped it at various places. I should say, attempted to snap it. The weather was full crud and the visibility at Cynghordy viaduct down to a few hundred yards.

The problem with the Central Wales line is that it's pretty much vegged over for the vast majority of its length. It's quite depressing travelling on it to hear the constant scrape of the veg on the sides of the train, as it's vegged over to inside the railway loading gauge.

RWJ

Hello Western Brainstrust !!  Just received some Silver Fox name-plates `WESTERN EXPLORER` to christen my fab groovy 60`s green liveried Dapol Western . The name-plates are correctly RED-background , but the builders-plates are BLACK -ground . Havent seen any photos to substantiate the builders plates being in black at this time . Did they emerge from Swindon works as this ?? Perhaps someone has WESTERN INTELLIGENCE on this one!!post-12207-0-18896600-1363817636_thumb.jpg 

• Like 2

Guest oldlugger

Hmm, only if you can see the blasted thing. I followed this tour and snapped it at various places. I should say, attempted to snap it. The weather was full crud and the visibility at Cynghordy viaduct down to a few hundred yards.

The problem with the Central Wales line is that it's pretty much vegged over for the vast majority of its length. It's quite depressing travelling on it to hear the constant scrape of the veg on the sides of the train, as it's vegged over to inside the railway loading gauge.

RWJ

I gather from your comments that you find the mid Wales line a tad unsatisfactory? Personally I find the overgrown nature of this little gem highly appealing. The skill of the photographer is to work with the landscape and the prevailing conditions.

Simon

I gather from your comments that you find the mid Wales line a tad unsatisfactory? Personally I find the overgrown nature of this little gem highly appealing. The skill of the photographer is to work with the landscape and the prevailing conditions.

Simon

If you call not being able to see the train for the vast majority of its length unsatisfactory, then yes, and my railway photography chums would concur with this. The prevailing conditions on the day worsened as the day went on, such that the only decent shots available were station shots, which bore me rigid, I'm afraid.

Still, the sound of the Wizzo coming out of the gloom was quite something. I must do my yearly run down the CWL sometime soon to see what if any veg has been trimmed. It's a pity that it looks like the Sugar Loaf shot from the east for northbound trains is now pretty much ruined by that GSM-R mast.

RWJ

Here is my picture of Whizzo p@rn.... EWS 37427 Bont Y Bermo & D1015 @ Llandrindod Well Station on 3x Day Railtour from London Paddington to Exeter, & Cardiff via the Shrewsbury.

How ironic that the 37/4s were created around a decade after the bulk of wizzo withdrawals, and yet 37427 was recently despatched to the breakers while 'Champion returns to main line charter work this year.

Hello Western Brainstrust !!  Just received some Silver Fox name-plates `WESTERN EXPLORER` to christen my fab groovy 60`s green liveried Dapol Western . The name-plates are correctly RED-background , but the builders-plates are BLACK -ground . Havent seen any photos to substantiate the builders plates being in black at this time . Did they emerge from Swindon works as this ?? Perhaps someone has WESTERN INTELLIGENCE on this one!!attachicon.gifDSCN1025.JPG

'The Heyday of the Westerns' by Derek Huntriss (Ian Allan) has a colour picture of D1035 Western Yeoman at Leamington Spa on 25 August 1962 which clearly shows the builders plates with a red background. This is a great book for the modeller and thoroughly recommended for checking on just such details.

I recently detailed a couple of green Lima westerns and found the same thing  red name and number plates and black builders plates. To get over the problem I painted the moulded on plates red as the etched ones were too big to fit in the location anyway.

DOH!  I have just noticed that the front cover of the very same book has a very clear picture of '35 near Aynho Junct on 29 August 1962.

Edited by D1056WesternSultan
  • Like 2

Simon

I'd agree that there is skill in using the landscape and conditions to your advantage. However, the options available at many, many locations today are severley limited compared to even as recently as only 20 years ago. We have lost far more in the last 20 years than the previous 20 and thats just on lines that are still open.

Many once famous locations are now screened behind an opaque layer of trees and undergrowth. I have seen such locations go from completely open to can't even see the tracks in just 10 years. 

Yes, you can still get photos, but increasingly you are restricted to a head on view from a bridge.

Ah those builder's plates.... something I missed when I typed out the livery list two parter!

Just to add, all non green Westerns from new had their builder's plates painted with a black background.... but! ... there's always one exception isn't there? I've just found a colour photo of maroon liveried D1031 taken in the Summer of '65 with a light blue / pale grey painted builder's plate, which may have been touched up 'Warship' fashion, it also bears a red painted shed plate on the side skirt below the Driver's cab side.

In the early hours of this morning I was sat in Wembley Yard waiting for the road and started scribbling a list of which Thousands I wanted in which particular livery.... en route to Bescot I got stopped at Northampton, Rugby and Coventry, and by the time I'd reached the fair City I'd ripped it up and started all over again...!

Thanks for the feed-back on the black builders-plates- for- Green-Western ive recieved from Silver Fox.Im afraid this question is not fully ``sherlocked`` yet !! I too have said Derek Huntriss book , and indeed  green wezzie yeoman has red builders plates in the photographs.But yeoman was built by those guys at CREWE...... Perhaps the three green Swindon ones (which included W. Explorer)  initially had the builders plates in black !!  Perhaps a baptismal picture of `W.Explorer` outside Swindon Works is the only thing to sort this out (or an explanation from Silver Fox nameplates !! ). p.s. Ive since seen pics of `W.Explorer IN GREEN with red nameplates AND red builders plates but this does not of course mean the builders plates on the three green Swindon locos were not painted black to begin with !!

'The Heyday of the Westerns' by Derek Huntriss (Ian Allan) has a colour picture of D1035 Western Yeoman at Leamington Spa on 25 August 1962 which clearly shows the builders plates with a red background. This is a great book for the modeller and thoroughly recommended for checking on just such details.

I recently detailed a couple of green Lima westerns and found the same thing  red name and number plates and black builders plates. To get over the problem I painted the moulded on plates red as the etched ones were too big to fit in the location anyway.

DOH!  I have just noticed that the front cover of the very same book has a very clear picture of '35 near Aynho Junct on 29 August 1962.

Ooh half a mo, nearly forgot.... if we're still posting gratuitous preservation era and / or railtour shots, here's my shameless addition to the cause.... :D  

Why have just the one Hydraulic when you can have two...?

post-7638-0-53493700-1363877010_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-56469300-1363877699_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-97457800-1363877741_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-36026200-1363877813_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-52263700-1363877899_thumb.jpg

You should see the box this one came in.... ;)

SV75_zpsd371b503.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for the feed-back on the black builders-plates- for- Green-Western ive recieved from Silver Fox.Im afraid this question is not fully ``sherlocked`` yet !! I too have said Derek Huntriss book , and indeed  green wezzie yeoman has red builders plates in the photographs.But yeoman was built by those guys at CREWE...... Perhaps the three green Swindon ones (which included W. Explorer)  initially had the builders plates in black !!  Perhaps a baptismal picture of `W.Explorer` outside Swindon Works is the only thing to sort this out (or an explanation from Silver Fox nameplates !! ). p.s. Ive since seen pics of `W.Explorer IN GREEN with red nameplates AND red builders plates but this does not of course mean the builders plates on the three green Swindon locos were not painted black to begin with !!

Welcome to the madhouse SW!

All of the delivery period shots I have of all seven green Thousands show them having red painted builder's plates.... unfortunately I can't post them here as they're all copyrighted ;)

(Edit : the same goes for the shed plates fitted to all of the green machines, as these were also red from new)

Edited by Rugd1022

Not sure if this has been posted in the last 47 pages, but loads of excellent Western pictures here: http://classictractionimages.weebly.com/class-52-westerns.html

About a quarter of the way down the page, there's one of a Western hauling a Pullman set in reverse blue/grey livery in 1971.

And there's this site for anyone who hasn't seen it.  Worth a look through the links for various pictures: http://westernloco.com/

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1

About a quarter of the way down the page, there's one of a Western hauling a Pullman set in reverse blue/grey livery in 1971.

Not only reverse blue/grey, but its a Western hauling a Blue Pullman Set......................past Laira Junction !!

Go to d.c.c. supplies web-site ,click on Dapol spares 00 guage ,click the picture of class 52 ,spares list comes up ,,,jobs a good `un.First class service from these guys.

Darn it, a length of brake rigging missing. I know it was posted on here but can't find it, so how do we go about obtaining spares again ?

• Like 2

Have a clicking sound on mine, forwards and backwards. Close inspection suggests a wheelset is uneven. So I would like to take the wheelset out and examine it to see if any swarth or similar is affecting it. But how? Can anyone advise please? Don't need the body off just a leading wheel set on one of the bogies. Does the bogie construction pull off? That said the loco runs smoothly and it only developed this clicking sound on wheel rotation after I put the numbers and nameplates on and after glueing the brake rigging back on (had become detached in transit). That may hold a clue - a blob of glue?  Thanks guys.

Edited by geoffers