Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

... you should have seen the look on the postman's face after he delivered it.  I understand that he's slowly recovering, his back is on the mend and he should be able to stand straight up again in a week or so.

You should see the box this one came in.... ;)

• Like 1

Don't know if these have been linked to yet.  A few "oldies" in there: http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/gb/diesel/52/pix.html

And here: http://railonline.zenfolio.com/p1039253378

Loads of blue ones here: http://westernlegacypublications.zenfolio.com/p904065086

Extremely welcome additions to the archive those BR(S)! Some surprisingly rare early ones in amongst the blue period stuff too. The colour shot of 'monacled' D1006 at Chelteham St James is particularly nice, there are a few other (b&w) shots of the same working in various books but that one is a corker.

A 10p platform ticket for Reading and a lifetime's supply of Curly-Wurlys to whoever comes up with the best caption to this... ;)

post-7638-0-00374500-1363894647_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest oldlugger

It was truly disgraceful how BR neglected these and other locos, especially the class 52. No wonder the railways received such bad press in the 1970s; hardly the look of a functioning modern railway going places:-

http://westernlegacypublications.zenfolio.com/p904065086/h4f62732c#h4f62732c

How could the BR management expect these poor locos to give reliable service in this condition, often running on one engine and hardly ever receiving a wash or maintenance? The heat wave of 1976(?), however, proved what fine locos they were continuing to give sterling service. I know BR were intentionally running them into the ground to withdraw what they saw as an expensive and inefficient machine, but how short sighted and Beechingesque.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

Extremely welcome additions to the archive those BR(S)! Some surprisingly rare early ones in amongst the blue period stuff too. The colour shot of 'monacled' D1006 at Chelteham St James is particularly nice, there are a few other (b&w) shots of the same working in various books but that one is a corker.

A 10p platform ticket for Reading and a lifetime's supply of Curly-Wurlys to whoever comes up with the best caption to this... ;)

attachicon.gifSV #268.jpg

"I can't believe, just because he's Jose Mourhino,

he gets to ride in the front cab..."

• Like 1

What am I doing in a blue 70`s Western wearing a early sixties pink carnaby street crash-helmet ???!!!

attachicon.gifSV #268.jpg

• Like 1

<< A 10p platform ticket for Reading and a lifetime's supply of Curly-Wurlys to whoever comes up with the best caption to this... >>

Must pretend I haven't seen that bloke poking his camera at me and think of a clever caption for the photograph he's taking... Western Thinker?, nah. Western Ponderer?, nah. Western Cogitator?, nah. Western Wonderer? That'll do, alliteration's always a good substitute for wit.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 1

Pair of brake rigging ordered. Also treated myself to a pair of headcode glazing units, so I can have a play and have different headcodes to swap over. Just need Precision labels to do the loco numbers for them

With whom did you order these items?

Rug'd 1022

A 10p platform ticket for Reading and a lifetime's supply of Curly-Wurlys to whoever comes up with the best caption to this...  ;)

"Oy!  Sulk over please.  We've got the road, now let's go back and get the coaches."

"Wish I'd kept the box.  Think how much this'd be worth now..."

"Convert it to DCC!" they said.  Now I'm stuck in Cab No. 2 unable to get past the flamin' chip.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up mine from CMC today

Has already run in on DC so about to delve inside to fit chip and speaker...

Followed by detailing, 1048 plates & headocdes and data panels as per http://www.flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5240923174/

Just missing the shed stickers above the number plates - anyone know a source chaps?

Phil

'Clearly' you are totally and utterly wrong.

Our packaging is our own and you can tell the difference. Dapol do not produce out of Regal Way in Shenzen, and never have done.

Fair dos Dave..... a great product. Ran mine in last night and it ran smooth and true over any cross overs combination we could throw at it, nicely designed in terms of internal access etc etc too, wish more locos were so easy to get into. Sound chip on the way....and thence to some distressing! Apologies for jumping to wrong conclusions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

I thought I'd post on here with my recent work with my brand new blue Dapol Western.

I chipped it and fitted headcodes yesterday evening, but unfortunately had a bit of a nightmare getting the body off. the four retaining screws were very tight and I managed to strip the heads on three of the four necessitating drilling them out. Anyhow, they are done and will need to get spares (incidentally I ordered some spares for my 2 Dapol Westerns yesterday lunchtime from DCC supplies, and they arrived this morning how's that for service). So my advice is take care getting the screws off they are fragile!

I tried to add the reporting numbers behind the glazing, but I decided they looked decidedly naff, a combination of me not being able to get them square and the glazing material. So I added them to the front of the glazing material with the intention of either varnishing or using glue and glaze to represent the glazing. My Dapol model is carrying 1C63 (Padd-Cardiff, a regular Western diagram in the early/mid 1970s) one end and 1M11 (Padd-BNS) the other. I really think that the correct size reporting codes (these are from precision labels) transforms the model

Behind the Dapol model is my developing Heljan project - usefully the perfect cab roof on the Dapol model serves as a good template to remove the excess from the Heljan incorrect profile. I've fitted Shawplan etched scavenger fans, but the Dapol ones are finer and in my opinion a better alternative. I have now two Dapol models and will be getting more, but I won't be getting rid of the Heljans for the time being.

Neil

post-6925-0-28328200-1364043393.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 7