Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Have just finished sound installation

Has to be quickest ever - 15 mins from starting to test running of chassis with bass reflex speaker and Howes sound on Loksound V4 chip installed.

Not a rounded off screw to be seen either.

Have to say Brian at Howes has excelled himself with the sound files. The horns and the dipping of the engine note as the torque converters fill before she blasts off on notch 7 make my spine tingle....

1048 headcodes in at one end using John Peck's backlit codes behind John's carrier film, digits sit flush just behind it. Driver also in cab (not not hunting for a florin Chris!). Have lost some brake rigging - and SWMBO put the hoover through this morning, AAARGH! - so will have to get some spares. Should have glued it all on straight away,

Still got headcodes and driver at other end to do plus other superdetailing work but is going to meet all my aspirations am sure.

Many thanks Dave for a superb model

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

Sounds like you've got a winner there Phil - does the sound chip have that deep, bowl movement inducing growl that the real machines had (still have ;) ) when forward motion kicks in...?

Looking forward to the postie coming down our street soon :)

(BTW Phil you have a PM - sorry for the tardy reply, I've been out photographing lower quad semaphores in the snow all day)

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Premium

Just opened the box.  Wow, the packaging alone is a work of art!!!

One slight problem though, I have no headcode numeral stickers, searched the entire packaging and inside the detailing pack, nameplate pack, the lot...

Not a major disaster though!!

Im wishing head code plastic pieces were other way up, as reporting numbers fall out, if they slid in from top would be better, do Howes have a 21 pin sound chip for western in allready?

j

Yes. the files exist and blank chips exist...... you can have them on what you like!

• RMweb Gold

Im wishing head code plastic pieces were other way up, as reporting numbers fall out, if they slid in from top would be better, do Howes have a 21 pin sound chip for western in allready?

Yes indeedy!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Sorry this has taken so long - its just a test track shot but you will get the drift of the sound files

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=w3nMHdQX3ss

Front views at http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=tv8Hg9TsegU and side view at http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?video_id=T6Vh-_LB0SE&ns=1

She is booked on the clays at the Cheltenham Show - 6th - 7th April - come along and say hello

Phil

Edited to add further videos

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

... somehow I totally failed to spot any Blue ones at Ally Pally, with only a selction of amroon and green on display at Dapol... from what I could see, but a good selection on 2mm examples in the cabinet. Unfortinately, I think the OO examples had the warning that they were pre-production samples so not representative of the full production ones... or was I confused (I wasn't feeling my best to be honest and the scrum put me off battling through). Hope to see a blue one in the flesh eventually and make that all important decision.

Lol no worries grid watcher,

How many of you watched the Sweeney tonight? Last section about 10 mins from the end had a blue western on blue grey stock passing by. Delicious!

I wonder how many shows or films have had Westerns in them?

I can think of a couple of Hymeks in the 'doctor' films but not Westerns.

Anyone?

Cheers

Dave

Dave - that Sweeney episode is one of the best, 'Faces' from 1975, with that particular seqence filmed at Southall Gasworks (used more than once in the series).

'One of the 'D&E On 35mm' DVDs has some outakes from the Julie Christie film 'Darling' and shows a maroon Western heading towards Paddington on the Up Main in the Winter of 1964 / 65 (along with a Blue Pullman filmed on the same day). Also featured in the Same 'D&E' DVD are several short clips filmed at Chippenham in 1966 and Saltford in 1967, showing green and maroon Westerns, these were all shot for use in the first colour series of 'The Saint' although I'm not sure if all of the sequeneces were actually used. Well worth buying for the Hydraulic content alone these DVDs ;-)

And not a Western but another delicious Hydraulic.... an early Oliver Reed film called 'The System' has some scenes shot on the Brixham Branch with a green Class 22, made in 1962 or thereabouts I think. Also, the original Pete & Dud version of 'Bedazzled' shot in 1967 has a very brief glimpse of a filthy green Hymek trundling by at Westbourne Park.

More recently, 'The Bank Job' has a cameo appearence by D1015 in maroon at Paddington, it's set in 1971 and D1015 wears a set of replica plates for D1046 (the last maroon / small yellows one), although the illusion is spoilt by the maroon painted Mk2 air-con stock...!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

More recently, 'The Bank Job' has a cameo appearence by D1015 in maroon at Paddington, it's set in 1971 and D1015 wears a set of replica plates for D1046 (the last maroon / small yellows one), although the illusion is spoilt by the maroon painted Mk2 air-con stock...!

At least they tried - better than the railway scenes in the otherwise brilliant Quadrophenia when Paddington and a Class 50 in platform 1 are used to convey the main character to Brighton !

Edited by D1059
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I tried to add the reporting numbers behind the glazing, but I decided they looked decidedly naff, a combination of me not being able to get them square and the glazing material. So I added them to the front of the glazing material with the intention of either varnishing or using glue and glaze to represent the glazing. My Dapol model is carrying 1C63 (Padd-Cardiff, a regular Western diagram in the early/mid 1970s) one end and 1M11 (Padd-BNS) the other. I really think that the correct size reporting codes (these are from precision labels) transforms the model

I have both the 3.6mm and 4.0mm headcodes in OO from precision labels. Which ones are correct for the Western, please?

Nice one Phil ;O)

Looking at that reminds me of something I meant to mention earlier - on these blue beasties the yellow paint extends down just a bit too far compared to the real McCoys, the raised lip above the buffer beam should be blue, with the dividing line between the blue and yellow areas running parallel with it right to the cab corners - the same thing would apply to the maroon Westerns which carried full yellow ends for a while. (Only a minor niggle but easily corrected or disguised with a bit of weathering ;) ).

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nidge - not quite straight on review!

Did wonder if they might go in on top of the existing glazing rather than having to dismantle cab innards - will look at that when I have another one to play with

Phil

• RMweb Gold

... somehow I totally failed to spot any Blue ones at Ally Pally, with only a selction of amroon and green on display at Dapol... from what I could see, but a good selection on 2mm examples in the cabinet. Unfortinately, I think the OO examples had the warning that they were pre-production samples so not representative of the full production ones... or was I confused (I wasn't feeling my best to be honest and the scrum put me off battling through). Hope to see a blue one in the flesh eventually and make that all important decision.

Good point......'Ou est les bleus ?' The bigger retailers seem to have been allocated some (soon sold out) but a number are still awaiting theirs,it seems. Wonder what the situation is....

Hi chaps,

Just spoke to dispatch, who to the best of their knowledge tell me that there are no outstanding shop orders for BR Blue Westerns that need to be sent.

Just as an addition i have checked stock and we do have some here, so if you want one, let your local stockist know we have them.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1