Hornby Magazine/Dapol Stove R .

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

You're welcome, both! :D

Painted the wheels and brake shoes today, and while I was at it added lamp irons that can carry a tail lamp, and top covers to the gangways from 3mm wide strips of black paper (surprising how often these are overlooked on models!).

I had hoped to get a shot during daylight, but the camera's batteries were flat. :angry: Anyway, here's the best I could do under artificial lighting, showing how it lines up with a Bachmann Mk1 BG:

post-31-0-56621600-1293815957_thumb.jpg

Could do with a bit of weathering now.

Oh the frustration of seeing these mods whilst awaiting the arrival of my order....

Beginning to wish I'd ordered a crimson one instead, Coach - the shade of maroon isn't growing on me! The photo somehow makes it look lighter than it really is.

Interesting sense of priorities there by Dapol

Cheers Ian, I thought I'd leave the value judgement to someone else and you've stepped right in with impeccable timing! ;)

A friend purchased a 6 wheel stove. The outside axle boxes and wheels swivel about on a pivot, but the couplings are fixed. He is finding that the running quality is exceptionally poor. Personally if they must make it like this it would have been better as a true Cleminson. Any ideas to improve running, Araldite up one end? Both ends?

Not had a problem with mine. My min'rad' is 24" in the fiddle yard. It runs fine at the front/middle/raer of trains. I have though, fitted 14mm wheels and increased the vertical play on the centre axle. I don't see a problem with locking the outside "bogies" as there are many 4 wheel vehicles with longer wheelbases.

• RMweb Gold

My hopes were up the other day, we got back from visiting friends and found that postie had tried to deliver two packages. CTMK knew one was for her, so with no little anticipation I went down the sorting office the next morning, only to find that both packages were for her (and no, she hadn't ordered any Stoves!)...

So I await my blue one with anticipation - converting it to P4 and sorting out the wheels and brake shoes might make a nice change from constructing buildings for the layout...

• RMweb Gold

So I await my blue one with anticipation - converting it to P4 and sorting out the wheels and brake shoes might make a nice change from constructing buildings for the layout...

Do you know what the chassis looks like yet Tim? I know you had a bit of a job with the Hornby SR Maunsell van. It will be interesting to see, did they stray this far south!? ;)

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Do you know what the chassis looks like yet Tim? I know you had a bit of a job with the Hornby SR Maunsell van. It will be interesting to see, did they stray this far south!? ;)

I think you could justify one, Nick - parcels stock was much more nomadic in nature than passenger stock.

The Hornby Maunsell van was not really a problem, perhaps you are thinking of the Lima/Hornby CCT?

As regards the chassis, I've only seen what's been published in magazines and on the internet, so I'm none the wiser and will refrain from passing any kind of judgement until I've got my hands on one.... ;)

• RMweb Premium
the couplings are fixed

The couplings aren't fixed, they're in NEM pockets on close coupling mechanism swing arms.

Any ideas to improve running, Araldite up one end? Both ends?

As I wrote above (and as JZ has also alluded), I don't think the outer axles need to swivel at all, there are after all several rtr vehicles with longer fixed wheelbases which run OK unless you want them to run on tram lines. They are now fixed on mine, and it runs perfectly well down to about 3ft radius.

As JZ says, the problem seems to be the lack of vertical play on the centre axle; in particular there doesn't seem to be any 'upward' play and deepening the slot the axle runs in seems to have cured this, and should do whether or not you want to fit correct sized wheels.

What I did to fit the correct sized wheels and alter the brake shoes wasn't difficult (and would have been easier if I'd read JZ and Andy C's posts properly first :blush: ).

• RMweb Gold

SNIP parcels stock was much more nomadic in nature than passenger stock.

My impression, too. But most of the pictures we see come from the 50s and 60s. I assume that in Big 4 days, you kept parcels vans more to yourself, rather than swapping them about as with goods wagons. Or were there still flows of parcels-rated traffic that crossed between/among operators?

• RMweb Gold

I think you could justify one, Nick - parcels stock was much more nomadic in nature than passenger stock.

The Hornby Maunsell van was not really a problem, perhaps you are thinking of the Lima/Hornby CCT?

As regards the chassis, I've only seen what's been published in magazines and on the internet, so I'm none the wiser and will refrain from passing any kind of judgement until I've got my hands on one.... ;)

It might have been the Lima CCT, can't remember now. I will have to go about ordering one, something a little different.

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

My impression, too. But most of the pictures we see come from the 50s and 60s. I assume that in Big 4 days, you kept parcels vans more to yourself, rather than swapping them about as with goods wagons. Or were there still flows of parcels-rated traffic that crossed between/among operators?

There were parcels trains that crossed between operators back then but I presume with one essential difference in that the Companies would have been a lot more careful to ensure that van balances worked as they should and that they got back what they sent out. In BR days the Board (alright that's a bit later but the system was there before then) could intervene and dictate movement of surplus vans between Regions or say vans were to be loaned etc. (but oddly the LM seemed to become the worst culprit in swiping bogie vans from elsewhere - perhaps they balanced them against six-wheelers as well as their usual trick of 'two vanfits = one bogie van').

I have both of the maroon vans, they both derail on facing points, single slips, etc, trackworks not that bad,can anybody suggest a fix? I think its something to do with the centre axle, no idea how to change it but I guess it needs some sort of vertical play. Should Dapol have a fix for this?

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to RMweb Grandpafixing you certainly have joined an emotive subject, I believe Tim Easter is going to do an article for Hornby Magazine showing how to improve the Stove R which has eratic running qualities to say the least, hopefully this will improve the model.

Im about to fit a brass bearing surface into the slot on the middle axle guide tonight at the Rochdale club meeting. Hopefully this will improve the vertical movement - I also need to limit the side play as the wheels move into the axleboxes with them being on stub axles, which means they actually bind on the axlebox. This will be done by using a large washer made from 2mm inside Dia plastruct tube fitted as a ###### on the axle. I ill also be looking at the prospect of putting top hat bearings in the outer axleboxes.

Edit - what a hoot, the naughty word check wont let me use the engineering term which could also refer to something to keep ladies hands warm in winter, or a triangle of fuzzy hair found on wearer of said hand warmer :lol:

• RMweb Premium
I think its something to do with the centre axle, no idea how to change it but I guess it needs some sort of vertical play.

See above, about three of us have described what we've done to fix this! :rolleyes:

I think its a mission accomplished without the extremeties - I finally managed to get the middle axle bearing unnatached (thanks 31A for the brute force tip!!) which enabled me to clean up the plastic, open it up a bit more and polish it up a bit - hey presto one free running centre axle without hacing to insert the brass shim bearing surface. I did put on the plastruct muffs as described which has stoppe the binding. With the two ourside axle frames, I opened up the bearing holes a little with a 1.5mm drill and afterwards a light touch with a cutting broach - I now have two very free running axles without major surgery to insert the top hats.

Ended up a relatively simple solution - Ive only got to test it round the layout now, which may not happen till the Nottingham show now!

There's another method which might seem a bit "extreme" to most. ;)

I've replaced the W irons on mine with Comet etched ones, along with new spring and brake detail (also from Comet). I'll try and get some pics taken over the next few days......

Ok, so the added cost of about 10-15 quid is probably going to put off many, but it's one way of dispensing with the rather basic (and dare I say, crude) offerings as they come.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon Robert,

Regarding the blue one, doesn't some of the horizontal beading need removing? I've been looking through various books and can't find one in this livery with all of the beading left intact.

Cheers,

Nidge

Guest Max Stafford

Well, I sent my cheque off over a month ago and still no sign of my maroon Stoves.

Perhaps I should take it as a warning...! :unsure:

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Has anyone getting their R stove ,as i have had on order since last year one, but no news blink.gif

It all depends on the colour Darren. The BR maroon ones HM004a and b should have been despatched before Christmas - I received one before Christmas and the second after Christmas but our post has been fairly good locally with no deliveries missed, (they came with the Letter Mail here). Hornby Mag No.44 (February 2011) states that the BR crimson versions have now been passed for production following delays in colour matching but that their arrival in England will follow the LMS liveried version - both are expected in the first half of January. The blue one will be last - again due to colour matching issues. Some LMS liveried versions were about - in boxes - on their stand at Warley (and at least one loaned to a layout) but I presume they were some sort of advance samples and might also have been rejected due to livery issues or there weren't enough to start sending them out?

Incidentally when I spoke to them some time ago at a show I was told that they would not cash any cheques until the models are despatched so I would suggest that anyone whose cheque has been cashed should get in touch with Ian Allan's mail order dept on 01932 266622 (well that's the advice and number I've copied from 'Hornby Magazine'.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Had an LMS one running on Fisherton Sarum yesterday at the Guildford show.

Simon

This is cheery news. My cheque went on 26th October 2010 and was cashed by IA on 15th December.

Don't get too excited, the version I had running on Fisherton Sarum was from a pre full production batch and does not mean that the main batch of LMS versions have arrived yet and been despatched.

Archived